11-06-2011 02:33 AM
56 123
tools
    Oh shutup about the huge 4.65 screen, the thing doesn't even use the bottom part as a screen I mean its gigantic and realistically is only 4.3. No memory card??? Sure fine its a thing i will accept when backing up everything online is more available(extra cost as well most likely) ive waited a very long time and after thinking it over.....droid razr has my money, yes locked bootloader this, blur that wah wah wah but in the end which is built better? Has a search button? Sexier? Thinner? The thing is stick thin and I love the hump on it plus its built like a freakin tank! The nexus should have been two steps up but its only one in reality. Oh and the design for the nexus is hideous.
    Okay you picked the Razr, but what is with the hostility? I have a 32GB card in my Thunderbolt and guess what? I barely use 2GB. Guess what else? Most phones out right now max out at a 32GB card anyway. You may want to check to see if the Razr can even accept a card beyond 32GB (I honestly don't know). Also 64GB microSD cards are not exactly common and they aren't exactly cheap either.

The screen is 4.65 inches when it matters, like with videos and games. We've been over the search button issue many times already.
    11-02-2011 10:08 AM
    Thank you voice of reason. I can't stand people saying its taking too long to come out, or its delayed. They just showed the damn thing and announced no dates! Relax.
    11-02-2011 10:12 AM
    Oh shutup...
    And right there you lost any and all respectability.
    11-02-2011 10:12 AM
    Oh shutup about the huge 4.65 screen, the thing doesn't even use the bottom part as a screen I mean its gigantic and realistically is only 4.3. No memory card??? Sure fine its a thing i will accept when backing up everything online is more available(extra cost as well most likely) ive waited a very long time and after thinking it over.....droid razr has my money, yes locked bootloader this, blur that wah wah wah but in the end which is built better? Has a search button? Sexier? Thinner? The thing is stick thin and I love the hump on it plus its built like a freakin tank! The nexus should have been two steps up but its only one in reality. Oh and the design for the nexus is hideous.
    Hmm, funny because IMO (no offence), the Razr looks hideous. There is no way I'm using a phone with such huge bezels. And it looks like a really bad copy of the Nokia X7 design. Eww.
    11-02-2011 10:38 AM
    I like the design of the Nexus better. The best part is the curved glass.
    11-02-2011 10:51 AM
    Hmm, funny because IMO (no offence), the Razr looks hideous. There is no way I'm using a phone with such huge bezels. And it looks like a really bad copy of the Nokia X7 design. Eww.
    agreed, plus it doesn't look too comfortable to hold, it's just a flat slab, there are no ergonomics whatsoever
    11-02-2011 10:54 AM
    I think it's mainly to have some kind of uniform button order. It's a pita going to another device when the soft buttons get rearranged every time you upgrade.
    I never had the soft buttons change since the release of honeycomb. If the menu button is none functional it won't be displayed but that's about it.
    11-02-2011 10:55 AM
    Anyway, I wouldn't feel sorry for people that don't want to wait. If they appreciated android like we do then they would wait, if they don't then they should have a different phone anyway.
    This has to be one of the most elitist attitudes I've read on this forum.

It's great to see that you're ONE with Andoird.

Sent from my Droid, the only mobile OS that matters.
    11-02-2011 11:00 AM
    I never had the soft buttons change since the release of honeycomb. If the menu button is none functional it won't be displayed but that's about it.
    I was referring to how the home, menu, back and search soft keys always seem to have a different order on new devices. Heck, they're not even uniform on handsets from the same manufacturer. I've had 3 different android phones (OG Droid, Fascinate, and Thunderbolt) and each time involved relearning the button order. Hopefully the onscreen key layout solves that.
    11-02-2011 11:02 AM
    Very good post, to the OP. My only gripe is waiting LOL! I have no other gripes. Some have brought up good points about the search on every screen and storage but, those things are not enough for me to not want this phone. In fact, I don't really dislike those things.

Since someone brought up the looks compared to the Razr, I must say I actually don't care for the looks of the Razr, never did. The only one thing that ruins it for me is the way the corners angle in. I don't understand why they designed it that way and, would have preferred if it was just square like the other droid phones. It wouldn't be a deal-breaker if I really wanted the phone but, I don't like it.
    11-02-2011 11:26 AM
    The beauty of it all is that we have choices available to us, unlike that other brand.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    11-02-2011 11:51 AM
    Aside from their release dates being fairly close, I'm not sure I understand the relation between the two devices. One is a thinner, more powerful Bionic, and the other is a pure Android phone with a completely different OS. I'm sure there's a big market for the Razr, but I'm not sure where we can really compare it with the Nexus. Everyone just wants their device of choice to be the best, I guess.
    11-02-2011 01:48 PM
    I've stated this before but I'm just worried that there will be supply issues since its being launched so close to Christmas. If it was any other time during the year I wouldn't be so concerned but just because it becomes available after Thanksgiving it doesn't mean there won't be supply problems. That is one of the main reasons why I wanted an earlier release. I know people who still haven't been able to get hold of the new iphone. I know that this phone and ICS seems to have a lot of press coverage compared to past vanilla phones. I'm not sure if its better to pre-order this phone or just try to go to the store and purchase it when its available. No one else is concerned with supply problems??
    11-02-2011 04:42 PM
    I've stated this before but I'm just worried that there will be supply issues since its being launched so close to Christmas. If it was any other time during the year I wouldn't be so concerned but just because it becomes available after Thanksgiving it doesn't mean there won't be supply problems. That is one of the main reasons why I wanted an earlier release. I know people who still haven't been able to get hold of the new iphone. I know that this phone and ICS seems to have a lot of press coverage compared to past vanilla phones. I'm not sure if its better to pre-order this phone or just try to go to the store and purchase it when its available. No one else is concerned with supply problems??
    There may well be supply problems, but it will have more to do with not enough being made, and from all of us going to get it, not massive sales. The vast majority has no clue. I don't expect it to sell much better than other high end Android phones.
    11-02-2011 04:52 PM
    I think ICS will change that a little bit though. I mean you still won't have something like Sense where you press the home button and it shows you all 7 screens at once, but there are a lot of other cool things here and there in ICS, yet it's stock so it won't bog down the phone. We like it because it's stock, but I think the average consumer will like ICS because it has a lot of "oh that's cool" features as well.
    Manufacturers bought into Android because they could customize the UI. If they wanted to manufacture stock phones, they could just manufacture Windows phones. The Nexus line of phones is cannibalism on the part of Google. What if everyone bought the Galaxy Nexus? Wouldn't Motorola loose money on the Droid Razr? Also, every phone that was released in the past 2 months with Gingerbread should not have been released, unless they didn't know ICS was coming. That's hog wash. That said, I recommend the Galaxy Nexus only because it will be the only phone made next year that will receive all of the software updates from Google. However, that's a flaw that Google should correct. Windows 8 is right around the corner and you better believe that they are going to hammer this update issue day in and day out. I'm already seeing advertisements pointing out fragmentation and update issues with Android.
    11-02-2011 07:39 PM
    Awesome post Eric. I can't wait for this phone. And I love the button less design. I really didn't like how the manufactures chose the order of their buttons. This new setup will hopefully fix that.

Seriously? If you hate the Galaxy Nexus so much why are you in this forum. Sure there are phones I don't like or have any desire for and you know what? I don't go to those forums because I don't care about those phones. And if I did go to those forums I wouldn't tell people to shut up and try and pimp my phone which isn't even out yet. Please try and be a little bit more respectful.
    pauldroidr2d2 likes this.
    11-02-2011 10:03 PM
    My only concern about the phone is will Verizon be releasing the 32 GB version at Launch because I do not want the 16 GB.
    11-02-2011 10:48 PM
    My only concern about the phone is will Verizon be releasing the 32 GB version at Launch because I do not want the 16 GB.
    On my mind as well.

Price difference also, wonder what it'll be. 100 like iPhone I'd assume.
    11-02-2011 10:52 PM
    Aside from my rant, who thinks verizon will sneak in their 3g hotspot app? Or others like it?
    They won't. Now move along and stop trying to get people who want the nexus all fired up. We don't do stuff like that on our forum.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    11-02-2011 10:55 PM
    Aside from their release dates being fairly close, I'm not sure I understand the relation between the two devices. One is a thinner, more powerful Bionic, and the other is a pure Android phone with a completely different OS. I'm sure there's a big market for the Razr, but I'm not sure where we can really compare it with the Nexus. Everyone just wants their device of choice to be the best, I guess.
    You can't compare them you're right. The Razr is meant for the everyday "average" customer who does not care about the latest and greatest. The Nexus on the other hand is the complete opposite of that, it's for the people who do want the latest and greatest and will be able to get the latest software with the device with no issues. You'll even be able to compile source code yourself the minute Google updates it and flash it to your phone. You can't even think about doing things like this with the Razr. The Razr is simply meant for people who just want to make calls,text, surf the web and do things like Facebook or other normal applications.
    11-02-2011 11:00 PM
    Great post!

On the dedicated software buttons, it's going to be one of those things people will get used to. I suspect a lot of new phones down the road will go button-less now that the Nexus has set the trend. So even if you skip the Nexus now, inevitably you'll encounter it if you wish to upgrade to better hardware in the future.

I wondered myself how dedicated search will work within the context of applications that use it. But that's a question for another thread.
    They're sort of going to have to. Hard buttons are no longer a part of the OS. Google wants Android OEMS to get rid of those buttons, and for a reason. So beginning with the GNex, don't hold your breath for any new ICS handsets with hard buttons.
    crzycrkr likes this.
    11-05-2011 08:09 PM
    They're sort of going to have to. Hard buttons are no longer a part of the OS. Google wants Android OEMS to get rid of those buttons, and for a reason. So beginning with the GNex, don't hold your breath for any new ICS handsets with hard buttons.
    Yet Galaxy Note is coming out with a dedicated Home button. Hmmm?
    11-05-2011 08:56 PM
    Not sure why people jump to this conclusion. That's just not the case. It's got nothing to do w/ future releases of Android 4.0, requiring the removal of hard buttons. Honestly, Google doesn't give a crap about that. They put them on the screen of the GNex just to show devs. & manufacturers that feature is available in the OS. It isn't a requirement anymore, going forward, in future android builds. There will always be phones w/ hard buttons. OEMs will just remove the feature from the OTA updates for those phones.
    11-05-2011 09:41 PM
    Yet Galaxy Note is coming out with a dedicated Home button. Hmmm?
    The note is actually designed and manufactured before/during the Nexus. So it doesn't really count. Phones that are coming out ~Q2 2012 are the ones that might remove the physical buttons.
    11-05-2011 09:43 PM
    Not sure why people jump to this conclusion. That's just not the case. It's got nothing to do w/ future releases of Android 4.0, requiring the removal of hard buttons. Honestly, Google doesn't give a crap about that. They put them on the screen of the GNex just to show devs. & manufacturers that feature is available in the OS. It isn't a requirement anymore, going forward, in future android builds. There will always be phones w/ hard buttons. OEMs will just remove the feature from the OTA updates for those phones.
    Doubtful. Google is being very particular with Android going forward, and I doubt they will stay silent if certain manufacturers continue to put the buttons on their devices. Go read some of what Matias Duarte had to say; it should clear up how tightly Google is going to control that aspect.
    crzycrkr likes this.
    11-05-2011 10:29 PM
56 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD