11-06-2011 02:33 AM
56 123
tools
    It's been confirmed it comes with 32G.
    11-05-2011 10:59 PM
    Doubtful. Google is being very particular with Android going forward, and I doubt they will stay silent if certain manufacturers continue to put the buttons on their devices. Go read some of what Matias Duarte had to say; it should clear up how tightly Google is going to control that aspect.
    I'm familiar w/ who he is. I've read a few aticles he's been featured in. Maybe Ive missed something you've read. So give me a link to something that states that as fact. I'd appreciate it, I love being proven wrong, if it educates me. Cuz I'm having a hard time finding any reference to off screen hard buttons being forced to go the way of the dinosaurs in the future, beginning w/ 4.0. What I have read him state, is that ICS was meant to merge the tablet/3.0 & mobile UI/ 2.3, into a single, universal platform OS, moving forward. Also, he's said, the integration of on screen buttons was one feature carried over from Honeycomb, now into mobile because they always envisioned that feature in the OS but for whatever reason, never got around to putting it in there w/ anything before 3.0, introduced it. That's what my POV is based on.
    11-06-2011 01:31 AM
    I'm familiar w/ who he is. I've read a few aticles he's been featured in. Maybe Ive missed something you've read. So give me a link to something that states that as fact. I'd appreciate it, I love being proven wrong, if it educates me. Cuz I'm having a hard time finding any reference to off screen hard buttons being forced to go the way of the dinosaurs in the future, beginning w/ 4.0. What I have read him state, is that ICS was meant to merge the tablet/3.0 & mobile UI/ 2.3, into a single, universal platform OS, moving forward. Also, he's said, the integration of on screen buttons was one feature carried over from Honeycomb, now into mobile because they always envisioned that feature in the OS but for whatever reason, never got around to putting it in there w/ anything before 3.0, introduced it. That's what my POV is based on.
    I too don't believe that Duarte said they're strictly 'forcing' on-screen buttons into future Android phones running ICS and up. Google always intended for on-screen buttons as their goal, but ICS supports hardware buttons just fine. I find it very doubtful they intend on ever forcing hardware buttons to become useless (i.e. not supporting them in Android).

But this has been their intention for years; they just never got it built into the system until 3.0.
    11-06-2011 01:57 AM
    to be honest. I love my S2 but I think having no buttons will be a nice change. Why? Because every time I told my phone in landscape and then I show a person who has never used an android, they press one of the buttons because its a natural spot to hold a device by.
    11-06-2011 01:01 AM
    to be honest. I love my S2 but I think having no buttons will be a nice change. Why? Because every time I told my phone in landscape and then I show a person who has never used an android, they press one of the buttons because its a natural spot to hold a device by.
    Which I feel is why the bottom bezel (and top, by the same reasoning I suppose) is so large. I realized that long ago, but it seems a fair number of people don't realize that if you hold the phone in landscape with two hands you'll either need to grab it by the bezel on either end or with your fingers on the edges.
    11-06-2011 01:05 AM
    I too don't believe that Duarte said they're strictly 'forcing' on-screen buttons into future Android phones running ICS and up. Google always intended for on-screen buttons as their goal, but ICS supports hardware buttons just fine. I find it very doubtful they intend on ever forcing hardware buttons to become useless (i.e. not supporting them in Android).

But this has been their intention for years; they just never got it built into the system until 3.0.
    , glad you said that, I won't feel like a complete imbecile if it turns out to be true. It certainly hasn't made the front page news in the Android community. That's the kind of statement, that I expect, would've been widely dispersed in reports about ICS. I haven't seen any manufacturers acknowledge it either. So I'll be surprised as heck if that popped out of Duartes' mouth. Adding the on screen option is alot different than doing away with them entirely on devices in the future. Hell, look at how many people complain about not having a shutter button off screen. I just don't see why Googles devs. would make such an excessive move. It's not like it's crucial to the OS.
    11-06-2011 02:33 AM
56 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD