The Big Picture

Mooem

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
sorry to upset you guys.. its just my opinion..

I'm getting tired of people assuming because its new technology, its better?

You wont beable to talk me into liking the new facebook set up better then the old.. I simply enjoyed having more options.. and having them available at all times.

And thats exactly what I'd lose.. Instead of having all 4 buttons available.. and not dependent on the touchscreen acting wierd or not.. Id have 3 buttons and google would be telling me what buttons are available for me to use.

how is this not a downgrade?

Just my opinion,
It's an upgrade to me because it could potentially allow OEMs and/or developers to change or add dedicated onscreen buttons to their liking.

But the main point here is that it would eliminate redundancy in the OS since it seems like Google is moving into the direction of action bars within the context of apps. In that case, dedicated hardware search and menu buttons aren't needed.

For an example, take a look at the new Gmail in ICS. Ice Cream Sandwich Feature Closer Look - Gmail Gets A Facelift

Onscreen buttons basically streamline the UI. That's a good thing in my book.

oxymoron

It's been real...
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
@Eric Agreed, man.

Reasons I want this over any other device, and will wait for it.

1 - A Nexus device on VZW LTE. (that right there is reason enough)

2 - 1280x720 display on a 4.65" screen. Wow.

3 - Buttonless design. I know it isn't for everyone, but to me it just adds more sex to the nex.

4 - ICS, pure and untouched by third parties.

No particular order there, just the main points as to why I believe/know it's worth waiting for. I agree that there will be nothing else comparable to the experience it provides, until the next Nexus is released.

It's the first device to be released since I got the OG, that I believe will SATISFACTORILY carry me through a 20 month/2 year contract.

I will accept nothing less than the Galaxy Nexus as my next device on contract.

*customized tapatalk signature*

iowabowtech

May 6, 2010
Visit site
Bottom line for me...the list of devs that are moving to this phone is astounding. This may be the best dev supported phone in the history of Android which is a huge motivator for me. Add that to great specs and the newest OS out of the box and it's a wrap for this user.

Reactions: oxymoron

vicw926a4

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I think I have the wierdest reason for not getting the GNex.. I dont think any other person has complained about this and most people have stated it as a feature.

No hardware buttons.. I just simply dont like the fact I wont have hardware buttons to use.. and on top of that wont have my settings/search button available at all times.

I honestly could of gotten over the no gorilla glass or SD card slot..

It's funny how we can view something like this from an opposite perspective. For me, at least, the loss of hardware buttons might have concerned me, but it's more than offset by the additional screen space available for wide screen display of video in that added real estate where the buttons usually display.

It should also provide for better control and coordination of the button lighting, which should eliminate the nuisance of unpredictable lighting while watching video. I don't know if that is a universal Android issue, but it's really annoying on my Droid X, where they are blindingly bright at inopportune times. I'm also not worried about the elimination of the search button. Apps will be able to display them, so I don't see any functional sacrifice there.

VideoEngineerAJS

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Oh shutup about the huge 4.65 screen, the thing doesn't even use the bottom part as a screen I mean its gigantic and realistically is only 4.3. No memory card??? Sure fine its a thing i will accept when backing up everything online is more available(extra cost as well most likely) ive waited a very long time and after thinking it over.....droid razr has my money, yes locked bootloader this, blur that wah wah wah but in the end which is built better? Has a search button? Sexier? Thinner? The thing is stick thin and I love the hump on it plus its built like a freakin tank! The nexus should have been two steps up but its only one in reality. Oh and the design for the nexus is hideous.

Okay you picked the Razr, but what is with the hostility? I have a 32GB card in my Thunderbolt and guess what? I barely use 2GB. Guess what else? Most phones out right now max out at a 32GB card anyway. You may want to check to see if the Razr can even accept a card beyond 32GB (I honestly don't know). Also 64GB microSD cards are not exactly common and they aren't exactly cheap either.

The screen is 4.65 inches when it matters, like with videos and games. We've been over the search button issue many times already.

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
Thank you voice of reason. I can't stand people saying its taking too long to come out, or its delayed. They just showed the damn thing and announced no dates! Relax.

phantomash

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
Oh shutup about the huge 4.65 screen, the thing doesn't even use the bottom part as a screen I mean its gigantic and realistically is only 4.3. No memory card??? Sure fine its a thing i will accept when backing up everything online is more available(extra cost as well most likely) ive waited a very long time and after thinking it over.....droid razr has my money, yes locked bootloader this, blur that wah wah wah but in the end which is built better? Has a search button? Sexier? Thinner? The thing is stick thin and I love the hump on it plus its built like a freakin tank! The nexus should have been two steps up but its only one in reality. Oh and the design for the nexus is hideous.

Hmm, funny because IMO (no offence), the Razr looks hideous. There is no way I'm using a phone with such huge bezels. And it looks like a really bad copy of the Nokia X7 design. Eww.

anon(512898)

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Hmm, funny because IMO (no offence), the Razr looks hideous. There is no way I'm using a phone with such huge bezels. And it looks like a really bad copy of the Nokia X7 design. Eww.

agreed, plus it doesn't look too comfortable to hold, it's just a flat slab, there are no ergonomics whatsoever

CynicX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I think it's mainly to have some kind of uniform button order. It's a pita going to another device when the soft buttons get rearranged every time you upgrade.

I never had the soft buttons change since the release of honeycomb. If the menu button is none functional it won't be displayed but that's about it.

androidatic

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Anyway, I wouldn't feel sorry for people that don't want to wait. If they appreciated android like we do then they would wait, if they don't then they should have a different phone anyway.

This has to be one of the most elitist attitudes I've read on this forum.

It's great to see that you're ONE with Andoird.

Sent from my Droid, the only mobile OS that matters.

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
I never had the soft buttons change since the release of honeycomb. If the menu button is none functional it won't be displayed but that's about it.

I was referring to how the home, menu, back and search soft keys always seem to have a different order on new devices. Heck, they're not even uniform on handsets from the same manufacturer. I've had 3 different android phones (OG Droid, Fascinate, and Thunderbolt) and each time involved relearning the button order. Hopefully the onscreen key layout solves that.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Very good post, to the OP. My only gripe is waiting LOL! I have no other gripes. Some have brought up good points about the search on every screen and storage but, those things are not enough for me to not want this phone. In fact, I don't really dislike those things.

Since someone brought up the looks compared to the Razr, I must say I actually don't care for the looks of the Razr, never did. The only one thing that ruins it for me is the way the corners angle in. I don't understand why they designed it that way and, would have preferred if it was just square like the other droid phones. It wouldn't be a deal-breaker if I really wanted the phone but, I don't like it.

vicw926a4

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
The beauty of it all is that we have choices available to us, unlike that other brand.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Eric Kane

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Aside from their release dates being fairly close, I'm not sure I understand the relation between the two devices. One is a thinner, more powerful Bionic, and the other is a pure Android phone with a completely different OS. I'm sure there's a big market for the Razr, but I'm not sure where we can really compare it with the Nexus. Everyone just wants their device of choice to be the best, I guess.

FishPharm

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
I've stated this before but I'm just worried that there will be supply issues since its being launched so close to Christmas. If it was any other time during the year I wouldn't be so concerned but just because it becomes available after Thanksgiving it doesn't mean there won't be supply problems. That is one of the main reasons why I wanted an earlier release. I know people who still haven't been able to get hold of the new iphone. I know that this phone and ICS seems to have a lot of press coverage compared to past vanilla phones. I'm not sure if its better to pre-order this phone or just try to go to the store and purchase it when its available. No one else is concerned with supply problems??

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
I've stated this before but I'm just worried that there will be supply issues since its being launched so close to Christmas. If it was any other time during the year I wouldn't be so concerned but just because it becomes available after Thanksgiving it doesn't mean there won't be supply problems. That is one of the main reasons why I wanted an earlier release. I know people who still haven't been able to get hold of the new iphone. I know that this phone and ICS seems to have a lot of press coverage compared to past vanilla phones. I'm not sure if its better to pre-order this phone or just try to go to the store and purchase it when its available. No one else is concerned with supply problems??

There may well be supply problems, but it will have more to do with not enough being made, and from all of us going to get it, not massive sales. The vast majority has no clue. I don't expect it to sell much better than other high end Android phones.

Last edited:

rjoyner0629

May 30, 2010
Visit site
I think ICS will change that a little bit though. I mean you still won't have something like Sense where you press the home button and it shows you all 7 screens at once, but there are a lot of other cool things here and there in ICS, yet it's stock so it won't bog down the phone. We like it because it's stock, but I think the average consumer will like ICS because it has a lot of "oh that's cool" features as well.

Manufacturers bought into Android because they could customize the UI. If they wanted to manufacture stock phones, they could just manufacture Windows phones. The Nexus line of phones is cannibalism on the part of Google. What if everyone bought the Galaxy Nexus? Wouldn't Motorola loose money on the Droid Razr? Also, every phone that was released in the past 2 months with Gingerbread should not have been released, unless they didn't know ICS was coming. That's hog wash. That said, I recommend the Galaxy Nexus only because it will be the only phone made next year that will receive all of the software updates from Google. However, that's a flaw that Google should correct. Windows 8 is right around the corner and you better believe that they are going to hammer this update issue day in and day out. I'm already seeing advertisements pointing out fragmentation and update issues with Android.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
phone user