The Big Picture

JediJesus95

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
Awesome post Eric. I can't wait for this phone. And I love the button less design. I really didn't like how the manufactures chose the order of their buttons. This new setup will hopefully fix that.

Oh shutup about the huge 4.65 screen, the thing doesn't even use the bottom part as a screen I mean its gigantic and realistically is only 4.3. No memory card??? Sure fine its a thing i will accept when backing up everything online is more available(extra cost as well most likely) ive waited a very long time and after thinking it over.....droid razr has my money, yes locked bootloader this, blur that wah wah wah but in the end which is built better? Has a search button? Sexier? Thinner? The thing is stick thin and I love the hump on it plus its built like a freakin tank! The nexus should have been two steps up but its only one in reality. Oh and the design for the nexus is hideous.

Seriously? If you hate the Galaxy Nexus so much why are you in this forum. Sure there are phones I don't like or have any desire for and you know what? I don't go to those forums because I don't care about those phones. And if I did go to those forums I wouldn't tell people to shut up and try and pimp my phone which isn't even out yet. Please try and be a little bit more respectful.

Reactions: pauldroidr2d2

Preach2k

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
My only concern about the phone is will Verizon be releasing the 32 GB version at Launch because I do not want the 16 GB.

borgey401

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
Aside from their release dates being fairly close, I'm not sure I understand the relation between the two devices. One is a thinner, more powerful Bionic, and the other is a pure Android phone with a completely different OS. I'm sure there's a big market for the Razr, but I'm not sure where we can really compare it with the Nexus. Everyone just wants their device of choice to be the best, I guess.

You can't compare them you're right. The Razr is meant for the everyday "average" customer who does not care about the latest and greatest. The Nexus on the other hand is the complete opposite of that, it's for the people who do want the latest and greatest and will be able to get the latest software with the device with no issues. You'll even be able to compile source code yourself the minute Google updates it and flash it to your phone. You can't even think about doing things like this with the Razr. The Razr is simply meant for people who just want to make calls,text, surf the web and do things like Facebook or other normal applications.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Great post!

On the dedicated software buttons, it's going to be one of those things people will get used to. I suspect a lot of new phones down the road will go button-less now that the Nexus has set the trend. So even if you skip the Nexus now, inevitably you'll encounter it if you wish to upgrade to better hardware in the future.

I wondered myself how dedicated search will work within the context of applications that use it. But that's a question for another thread.

They're sort of going to have to. Hard buttons are no longer a part of the OS. Google wants Android OEMS to get rid of those buttons, and for a reason. So beginning with the GNex, don't hold your breath for any new ICS handsets with hard buttons.

Reactions: crzycrkr

CallerHoller

May 9, 2010
Visit site
They're sort of going to have to. Hard buttons are no longer a part of the OS. Google wants Android OEMS to get rid of those buttons, and for a reason. So beginning with the GNex, don't hold your breath for any new ICS handsets with hard buttons.
Yet Galaxy Note is coming out with a dedicated Home button. Hmmm?

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site

Not sure why people jump to this conclusion. That's just not the case. It's got nothing to do w/ future releases of Android 4.0, requiring the removal of hard buttons. Honestly, Google doesn't give a crap about that. They put them on the screen of the GNex just to show devs. & manufacturers that feature is available in the OS. It isn't a requirement anymore, going forward, in future android builds. There will always be phones w/ hard buttons. OEMs will just remove the feature from the OTA updates for those phones.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Not sure why people jump to this conclusion. That's just not the case. It's got nothing to do w/ future releases of Android 4.0, requiring the removal of hard buttons. Honestly, Google doesn't give a crap about that. They put them on the screen of the GNex just to show devs. & manufacturers that feature is available in the OS. It isn't a requirement anymore, going forward, in future android builds. There will always be phones w/ hard buttons. OEMs will just remove the feature from the OTA updates for those phones.

Doubtful. Google is being very particular with Android going forward, and I doubt they will stay silent if certain manufacturers continue to put the buttons on their devices. Go read some of what Matias Duarte had to say; it should clear up how tightly Google is going to control that aspect.

Reactions: crzycrkr

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Doubtful. Google is being very particular with Android going forward, and I doubt they will stay silent if certain manufacturers continue to put the buttons on their devices. Go read some of what Matias Duarte had to say; it should clear up how tightly Google is going to control that aspect.

I'm familiar w/ who he is. I've read a few aticles he's been featured in. Maybe Ive missed something you've read. So give me a link to something that states that as fact. I'd appreciate it, I love being proven wrong, if it educates me. Cuz I'm having a hard time finding any reference to off screen hard buttons being forced to go the way of the dinosaurs in the future, beginning w/ 4.0. What I have read him state, is that ICS was meant to merge the tablet/3.0 & mobile UI/ 2.3, into a single, universal platform OS, moving forward. Also, he's said, the integration of on screen buttons was one feature carried over from Honeycomb, now into mobile because they always envisioned that feature in the OS but for whatever reason, never got around to putting it in there w/ anything before 3.0, introduced it. That's what my POV is based on.

hyperdude

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm familiar w/ who he is. I've read a few aticles he's been featured in. Maybe Ive missed something you've read. So give me a link to something that states that as fact. I'd appreciate it, I love being proven wrong, if it educates me. Cuz I'm having a hard time finding any reference to off screen hard buttons being forced to go the way of the dinosaurs in the future, beginning w/ 4.0. What I have read him state, is that ICS was meant to merge the tablet/3.0 & mobile UI/ 2.3, into a single, universal platform OS, moving forward. Also, he's said, the integration of on screen buttons was one feature carried over from Honeycomb, now into mobile because they always envisioned that feature in the OS but for whatever reason, never got around to putting it in there w/ anything before 3.0, introduced it. That's what my POV is based on.
I too don't believe that Duarte said they're strictly 'forcing' on-screen buttons into future Android phones running ICS and up. Google always intended for on-screen buttons as their goal, but ICS supports hardware buttons just fine. I find it very doubtful they intend on ever forcing hardware buttons to become useless (i.e. not supporting them in Android).

But this has been their intention for years; they just never got it built into the system until 3.0.

dammitcubs

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
to be honest. I love my S2 but I think having no buttons will be a nice change. Why? Because every time I told my phone in landscape and then I show a person who has never used an android, they press one of the buttons because its a natural spot to hold a device by.

hyperdude

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
to be honest. I love my S2 but I think having no buttons will be a nice change. Why? Because every time I told my phone in landscape and then I show a person who has never used an android, they press one of the buttons because its a natural spot to hold a device by.
Which I feel is why the bottom bezel (and top, by the same reasoning I suppose) is so large. I realized that long ago, but it seems a fair number of people don't realize that if you hold the phone in landscape with two hands you'll either need to grab it by the bezel on either end or with your fingers on the edges.

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
I too don't believe that Duarte said they're strictly 'forcing' on-screen buttons into future Android phones running ICS and up. Google always intended for on-screen buttons as their goal, but ICS supports hardware buttons just fine. I find it very doubtful they intend on ever forcing hardware buttons to become useless (i.e. not supporting them in Android).

But this has been their intention for years; they just never got it built into the system until 3.0.
:cool:, glad you said that, I won't feel like a complete imbecile if it turns out to be true. It certainly hasn't made the front page news in the Android community. That's the kind of statement, that I expect, would've been widely dispersed in reports about ICS. I haven't seen any manufacturers acknowledge it either. So I'll be surprised as heck if that popped out of Duartes' mouth. Adding the on screen option is alot different than doing away with them entirely on devices in the future. Hell, look at how many people complain about not having a shutter button off screen. I just don't see why Googles devs. would make such an excessive move. It's not like it's crucial to the OS.