I currently am using a DX2 and will be opening a 3rd line on my account to get the GN. (my father is on the 2nd line).

I plan on putting a dumb phone on the new line, dropping the associated data plan, and then activating the GN on my phone number (currently using the DX2).

Will I have to get a new SIM?

My understanding or misunderstanding is that the sim card in the GN is tied to the new number associated with the new 3rd line. Additionally the GN has to be activated on the new line before I swap it.

Once I activate it... that sim is tied to that number correct? Thus requiring a new sim for the GN to be used on the DX2 number... correct?

What would be nice is that I accept the customer agreement online, but never activate the GN on the new number but instead activate the dumb phone and continue as planned.

I would appreciate any clarification on the matter.

PS... Hello everyone, my name is Kevin and I am a cellphone *****.
    11-06-2011 07:34 AM
    I believe so.
    11-06-2011 08:41 AM
    yes, you will need a new sim
    11-06-2011 09:01 AM
    yes, you will need a new sim
    Thought so....
    11-06-2011 09:03 AM
    Acutally I think you can just open the new line with the dumb phone on it from the get go. After you activate the line, it will be eligible for an upgrade since you wont be on a contract. Then all you'd have to do is move that eligible upgrade to your current line and get the Nexus with no SIM card swapping.
    11-06-2011 09:03 AM
    The DX2 doesn't have a sim. You will active the Nexus on your line with your number. You won't have to activate it on the new line. Just put the dumb phone on that line. The new micro sim you get will be associated with your line.
    11-06-2011 09:48 AM
    I don't think you can do that because the GN requires a contract with the 29.99 data pack.

If you have 2 lines and one has a smartphone one dumb phone then both are contracted. If you buy a 3 line then it needs a smartphone pack. Either way you would then end up with 3 lines 2 smartphone 1 w/o

I might be misunderstanding you though... as far as buying a phone on on Line and activating it on another you can do that. Just do it at the store. They will just swap them around right there. I did it last year over the phone
    11-06-2011 10:37 AM
    I don't think you can do that because the GN requires a contract with the 29.99 data pack.

If you have 2 lines and one has a smartphone one dumb phone then both are contracted. If you buy a 3 line then it needs a smartphone pack. Either way you would then end up with 3 lines 2 smartphone 1 w/o

I might be misunderstanding you though... as far as buying a phone on on Line and activating it on another you can do that. Just do it at the store. They will just swap them around right there. I did it last year over the phone
    This is incorrect. The data package is a feature. It is NOT part of the contract.
    11-06-2011 11:00 AM
    This is incorrect. The data package is a feature. It is NOT part of the contract.
    If you buy a smartphone on a line and use a upgrade the data package is required
    11-06-2011 11:50 AM
    If you buy a smartphone on a line and use a upgrade the data package is required
    Only at the time of purchase... you can drop the data plan anytime thereafter.
    11-06-2011 01:27 PM
    Yes, but the data package is not part of the contract. Meaning you can go back to a basic feature phone and remove the data package.

Only at the time of purchase... you can drop the data plan anytime thereafter.
    If you keep a smartphone on that line then you cannot remove the data package.
    11-06-2011 01:32 PM
    I think you could just put the GN right on your line without activating it. I did that a few weeks ago with an xperia play, but i also ordered online, so when i got it, i just went to the store, had them activate the dumbphone on the new line, then put the new phone on my line.
    Then i found my incredible, so i returned the play, but that's irrelevant to the conversation.
    11-06-2011 01:41 PM
    Oppss... I should have completed my sentence... "..... after you activate the dumb phone."

Thanks.
    11-06-2011 01:41 PM
    I think you could just put the GN right on your line without activating it. I did that a few weeks ago with an xperia play, but i also ordered online, so when i got it, i just went to the store, had them activate the dumbphone on the new line, then put the new phone on my line.
    Then i found my incredible, so i returned the play, but that's irrelevant to the conversation.
    The issue is the SIM card. I dont think the play is 4G, so there is no SIM to contend with when swapping phones.

I was hoping to avoid getting a new SIM... but that doesnt seem to be the case.
    11-06-2011 01:45 PM
    Yes, but the data package is not part of the contract. Meaning you can go back to a basic feature phone and remove the data package.

The data package is part of the Verizon contract to get a 2 year subsidized price on a phone, even if you switch lines. The OP has a DX that requires a data pack to fullfill his contract, and now a Gnex as well that needs another (<--important part) data pack. so his contract will require 2 data packages on any 2 lines.
    11-06-2011 01:47 PM
    The data package is part of the Verizon contract to get a 2 year subsidized price on a phone, even if you switch lines. The OP has a DX that requires a data pack to fullfill his contract, and now a Gnex as well that needs another (<--important part) data pack. so his contract will require 2 data packages on any 2 lines.
    There is a ton of info out there that conflicts with what you are saying.

Add a line on Share Plan for a new Smartphone - Verizon Wireless Community
    11-06-2011 02:01 PM
    There is a ton of info out there that conflicts with what you are saying.

Add a line on Share Plan for a new Smartphone - Verizon Wireless Community
    well i guess im wrong. When i tried that they told me i couldnt do that, that the data package is required for the phone
    11-06-2011 02:09 PM
    well i guess im wrong. When i tried that they told me i couldnt do that, that the data package is required for the phone
    In a sense you are correct... a data package is required for the phone, but not the number/contract. You cant have a verizon smartphone activated without a data plan. Which it will when I activate it on my DX2 line.
    11-06-2011 02:16 PM
    As said, if you have a smartphone active on a line, the data plan is required. There's nothing stopping you from dropping the data plan all together by just putting a phone on the line that doesn't require a data plan. Do make a note to check the retailers TOS if you purchase from a source other than Verizon as some have their own secondary ETF if you drop the data plan or move a phone within the first 6 months.
    11-06-2011 02:48 PM
    I used this method to get my thunderbolt and had no problems

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
    11-06-2011 03:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD