Question about the camera

Hangfire79

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Ahh the Thunderbirds...nostalgic. When my father was in the military we were stationed at Dyess AFB in Abilene, Tx. Of course that was the 80's and now I feel old and have half the hair, lol

khuujo9809

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Will the prime be able to do slow motion videos like the vigor? Is that software or hardware related? I just think that would b a cool feature to have on a phone. Almost kinda like the replay booth in football.

CallerHoller

May 9, 2010
Visit site
It's definitely the native camera app. You can search for "slow motion video" on the Market. If the GN doesn't come with slow-mo you can get an app that does.

xiaosong

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
The blurry issue is a result of the someone talking pictures in rapid fashion.. which only look blurry because people are "jabbing" the device when they take the picture. If you hold the device still then you can take amazing pics.

This is due to the fact we are using a modifed SGS2 camera module but in order to get that fast camera action the size is limited to 5mp, so in essense you are looking more at a memory write issue.. Currently memory fast enough to keep up with writing images that big (8mp), that fast would be costly even using samsung in-house memory.

hope that makes sense its early and I havent had my beer...

panda

So it sounds like the no lag time between shots is something that is hardware/software implementation. Once the RAZR gets ICS, it probably won't be able to do the same thing because it doesn't have the proper hardware right?

kath00

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
My Canon 7D takes rapid fire shots in succession and they are not blurry. Oh wait, that is a $2000 camera that weighs 10lb. :D

K

Nothing2Lose

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I understand the whole MP debate and it's right, I wish it was 8 or a 5 with f2.2 and IS. But when it all boils down to it were not going to be shooting photos like I posted above with a cellphone. Cellphones are for shooting people and scenery where your highend camera isn't avalible. It is meant to take passable photos not fantastic ones. I shot with my Tbolt yesterday at the Airshow too and I was very happy with the quality. Sure it had blown out areas, a little noise even in bright shots and the overall appearance was a little high in the contrast department. But hanging off my shoulder was my DSLR and that's how its supposed to be.

So for all those nay-sayers that complain because it's not good enough, save the money and get a great P+S or a DSLR and see how annoying it can be to carry them everywhere. You'll learn to appreciate the smartphone shots for what they are....

Btw - those shots were with a 55-220 lense w/no cropping at 12mp

With how far technology has advanced, why are camera phones limited to only taking "passable" photos. Just because that's how camera phones were in the past, why do we have to expect it to be the same? Like you said, it costs money for a p+s camera and its annoying to carry around. I want to be able to take shots that are at least comparable to p+s quality. And obviously there are phones that take fantastic pictures, like some Nokias and even the iphone4s.

I hope that this camera would at least be as good as the iphone 4.

Auzo

May 25, 2010
Visit site
With how far technology has advanced, why are camera phones limited to only taking "passable" photos. Just because that's how camera phones were in the past, why do we have to expect it to be the same? Like you said, it costs money for a p+s camera and its annoying to carry around. I want to be able to take shots that are at least comparable to p+s quality. And obviously there are phones that take fantastic pictures, like some Nokias and even the iphone4s.

I hope that this camera would at least be as good as the iphone 4.

No matter how far technology advances you can not defy physics.

Cell phones are and will always be constrained by size. With the size constraint, cell phones have to settle for small sensors with sub par optics (lens). Even the new optics in the Iphone 4S pale in comparison to even an average p+s.

Bottom line is the only real solution to bringing cell phone cameras to the next level is to increase the footprint available to the camera subsytem, but with people wanting thinner and thinner phones its not very likely to happen.

There have been a few phones that have bulked up a bit to add an actually decent camera, but I don't really know how well they sold.

Reactions: Hangfire79

CynicX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
No matter how far technology advances you can not defy physics.

Cell phones are and will always be constrained by size. With the size constraint, cell phones have to settle for small sensors with sub par optics (lens). Even the new optics in the Iphone 4S pale in comparison to even an average p+s.

Bottom line is the only real solution to bringing cell phone cameras to the next level is to increase the footprint available to the camera subsytem, but with people wanting thinner and thinner phones its not very likely to happen.

There have been a few phones that have bulked up a bit to add an actually decent camera, but I don't really know how well they sold.

This...

Easy comparison....The better a camera is (professional systems) the bigger they are. I think we can all say with certainty that we've never seen a professional photographer show up to a wedding, photoshoot for family portraits, news guys etc etc and pull something out of their pockets and start snapping pics.

obi5683

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Will the prime be able to do slow motion videos like the vigor? Is that software or hardware related? I just think that would b a cool feature to have on a phone. Almost kinda like the replay booth in football.

I don't know about slow motion, but it does have a time lapse mode. HTC camera app is awesome. The camera app and the lock screen from sense 3.x are the only things I will miss from HTC. If ICS could show the weather information on the lockscreen, I wouldn't even miss the lockscreen.

Hangfire79

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
A lot of people complain about Sense but I always liked the options it gave. I've not enough experience with it to know all the quarks others speak about or used it enough to uncover those of my own, but the times I was able to play with it I found it pretty slick.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
A lot of people complain about Sense but I always liked the options it gave. I've not enough experience with it to know all the quarks others speak about or used it enough to uncover those of my own, but the times I was able to play with it I found it pretty slick.

I liked it initially on the MyTouch 4G. It wasn't until I got the Nexus S that I noticed the difference. I had both phones for months and would switch back and forth using them. The Mytouch had HSPA+ which was nice however, at times the Nexus S would be just as fast on regular 3G.

The Nexus S also synced my contacts better and was much more responsive and snappier.

FishPharm

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
This...

Easy comparison....The better a camera is (professional systems) the bigger they are. I think we can all say with certainty that we've never seen a professional photographer show up to a wedding, photoshoot for family portraits, news guys etc etc and pull something out of their pockets and start snapping pics.

yea, lol, I don't think anyone is thinking a smartphone camera will ever get anywhere close to an SLR but I truly feel that technology will bring it very close or equal to a nice point and shoot. I have a very small Canon point and shoot that takes phenomenal pictures....and its footprint is way smaller than the galaxy nexus (except for the thickness).

jdbower

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
I think you need to accept a 1/4"+ lens that extends out of the body and some extra size/weight before you can get P&S quality out of a phone. Remember, P&S tech is advancing just as fast as camera phone tech and they've got A LOT more space to work with for optics which cannot be shrunk down.

Personally I'd love to see a Lytro with tap-to-share or some flavor of the Android Open Accessory protocol built in. Give me a purpose-built but compact camera for the shots a camera phone can't do and let it glom off my phone's network connection as a viewer/sharing mechanism.

whiteshadow001

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Now I'm completely familiar with cameras and the fact that MP's mean absolutely squat, and that the sensor is what makes a decent camera. However, I did read a review and watch a youtube hands-on review that stated the camera took blurry pictures and that 1 in 5 were actually clear and crisp. Does any one know who the manufacturer is of the sensor? The video looked great but what about the still photos?

I've heard that it actually takes amazing pics, Samsung apparently put a great censor on it, but we will officially know soon enough

Sent from my Thunderbolt using tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cyari6908