I know it may be off topic since it's been discussed in other forums recently, but the Nexus will most likely be my first 4G device so I wanted some opinions from others that will be getting it.

I have had an upgrade since July and have been holding off to get a 4G phone till the Nexus and Razr are released.

I have unlimited data and am thinking about adding 4G Mobile Hotspot for $30 when I upgrade.

I've been advised multiple times that if you have a grandfathered unlimited data plan and are adding 4G Mobile Hotspoit for $30, that it too is unlimited.

I don't have 4g in my main area, but have been told that it will carry over to sessions that are on 3g as well.

I am considering the feature to have it in the future since I doubt Verizon will allow people to add it in the future forever. I will get a 20% discount off this feature through my employee discount as well.

I am currently rooted myself and have tethered for free in the past, but $24 for the right to have unlimited 4g/3g tethering and be legitimate seems like it may be worth it.

Is anyone else, thinking about adding as well?

Also, has anyone had experience using the USD Wifi adapters? Do they normally work well?

My desktop doesn't support Wifi natively so I'll be getting an adapter and would prefer to get one that works well for a reasonable price.
    11-06-2011 03:20 PM
    The tethering on VZW plans is limited to 2G IIRC, unlimited plan or not. It's great for traveling or emergency use (you can activate it without even calling VZW and deactivate it shortly afterwards), but not as a primary Internet connection.
    11-06-2011 04:00 PM
    It doesn't matter weather it is 3G or 4G. VERIZON doesn't differentiate in their data plans. Yes if you are grandparented into uimited data you will be able to use unlimited hotspot and tethering on the new Nexus
    11-06-2011 04:15 PM
    The tethering on VZW plans is limited to 2G IIRC, unlimited plan or not. It's great for traveling or emergency use (you can activate it without even calling VZW and deactivate it shortly afterwards), but not as a primary Internet connection.
    That's what I used to think too, but I've been told several times that it will also be unlimited if you have unlimited data. Wish I could know for sure before I make the move. The 2 GB limit only applies to 3g phones on unlimited.

It doesn't matter weather it is 3G or 4G. VERIZON doesn't differentiate in their data plans. Yes if you are grandparented into uimited data you will be able to use unlimited hotspot and tethering on the new Nexus
    This is what I was thinking. It seems too good to be true because after 4g is deployed in my area, it could be faster than my current ISP.

I am also thinking it would be nice to be able to take my HP touchpad on the road when android becomes more stable, and be able to tether without having to worry about limits and looking over my shoulder

VZWRocks,

Do you already have this feature? It's weird that VZW would allow people that already have unlimited data to also have unlimited MHS.

Granted, $24 is not cheap, but 4g can legitimately compete with broadband and it would seem like people's mobile data usage will only goes up if this trend continues.
    allprochris likes this.
    11-06-2011 04:16 PM
    You do know for sure. Im an indirect agent for Verizon (and AT&T) and was trained in this. Unlumuted data is unlimited data regardless of network technology.
    11-06-2011 04:23 PM
    When I bought my hotspot service with an unlimited plan it was very clearly labeled as a 2GB hotspot. Earlier plans may not have had that limitation, but since you're adding a new hotspot plan that may not be relevant. Either way, checking with a VZW rep when you order and trying to have some level of records in case you get billed an overage would be useful.
    11-06-2011 04:38 PM
    When I bought my hotspot service with an unlimited plan it was very clearly labeled as a 2GB hotspot. Earlier plans may not have had that limitation, but since you're adding a new hotspot plan that may not be relevant. Either way, checking with a VZW rep when you order and trying to have some level of records in case you get billed an overage would be useful.
    Call *611 and have the correct plan assigned if they haven't done so already. Unlimited is available for $30 for those on unlimited smartphone data plans. What it sounds like what you have is the $29.99 plan that is meant for tiered data plans, but there was some internal confusion when the plans changed after July 7 and some people were given the wrong plan by mistake.
    11-06-2011 04:47 PM
    I have grandfathered unlimited data. I also have an unlimited tethering plan on 4g. I am using an HTC thunderbolt right now. It is truly unlimited tethering at 4g speeds.
    11-06-2011 05:18 PM
    I have grandfathered unlimited data. I also have an unlimited tethering plan on 4g. I am using an HTC thunderbolt right now. It is truly unlimited tethering at 4g speeds.
    arch3,

Welcome to the forums. If you don't mind me asking, did you can your regular ISP after adding the unlimited 4g Hotspot.

jdbower,

if you do decide to call, let us know how it turns out. If you already have grandfathered unlimited email and web, any MHS feature you add should be unlimited if you already have a 4g phone.

3G phones are still limited by the 2 GB plans for $20.

VZWRocks,

Thanks for the clarification. Still a little surprised...not at you but at VZW. Seems like it would encourage more people to use VZW as a regular ISP and keep people from purchasing the dedicated 4g Mobile Hotspot devices.
    11-06-2011 06:07 PM
    I am not in a 4G area but yes I have the hotspot on a 4G phone (Bionic) and it shows up as available for my device under the Thunderbolt in MyVerizon. It was also listed as available in the work system the other day when I activated a Samsung Stratosphere for a customer.

EDIT: I agree that it seems odd I personally think it is a bone that VZW tossed to customers because of the backlash over the tiered data changes. Remember this is only for those of us grand-parented in and over time there will be fewer of us.
    11-06-2011 07:09 PM
    I still keep my home internet. I use 50down/20up mbps Fios at home. Not ditching that speed. But 4g tethered is fast and reliable for me when I use it.

arch3,

Welcome to the forums. If you don't mind me asking, did you can your regular ISP after adding the unlimited 4g Hotspot.

jdbower,

if you do decide to call, let us know how it turns out. If you already have grandfathered unlimited email and web, any MHS feature you add should be unlimited if you already have a 4g phone.

3G phones are still limited by the 2 GB plans for $20.

VZWRocks,

Thanks for the clarification. Still a little surprised...not at you but at VZW. Seems like it would encourage more people to use VZW as a regular ISP and keep people from purchasing the dedicated 4g Mobile Hotspot devices.
    11-07-2011 06:14 AM
    I was grandfathered in for unlimited data. I have used mobile hotspot but only when it was free on my Pre Plus. I don't think that I would cancel my home internet service even if I had unlimited 4G hotspot because I believe that if you have unlimited data or unlimited hotspot and regularly use a significant amount of data, that Verizon can throttle you back. While no one would like that to happen to them, I can understand why they would do that. If a few users are hogging all of the bandwith and slowing everything down for all users, it's not fair to those that aren't hogs.

Does anyone know if I am correct. that Verizon does throttle back the heavy users who have unlimited data? And if they do, I doubt Verizon is the only carrier who does this.
    11-07-2011 08:23 AM
    I've been having a $30 hotspot for 4G "Unlimited" since June. It works like a charm, you can add it when you need it and take it off when you don't. You will get charged prorated. It's a sweet, sweet feature as it turns your smartphone into the WiFi hotspot. Also USB tether works even better.
    YourMobileGuru likes this.
    11-07-2011 09:35 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD