And here comes the 4-core HTC Edge... (my will has gotten weaker)

MMcCraryNJ

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
Re: And here comes the 4-core HTC Edge... (my will has gotten wea

Eh. You are taking a chance buying "the first" of something. The first dual-core phone was the T-Mobile G2X...and it had many, many issues. It isn't even officially running on an Android version that can take full advantage of both cores (Gingerbread). T-Mobile abandoned it very prematurely, like they do with most of their devices.

Phones with better specs will be revealed at CES. You will see quad devices. But the fact is this...the Nexus line is perfectly optimized to run on the latest version of Android. Not only that but anything you see at CES won't be in your hands anytime soon. Think May/June/July at the earliest.

I'm perfectly fine with dual core for right now, and the Nexus is going to be awesome.

Reactions: oxymoron

infernalman7

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site

True true. Despite it being kinda distracting but I'm still up for a device that is bloat-free and completely "unlockable"

Reactions: MMcCraryNJ

MMcCraryNJ

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site

True true. Despite it being kinda distracting but I'm still up for a device that is bloat-free and completely "unlockable"

Totally.

On another note, I do believe quad-core will eventually have its place in the mobile device world...but not anytime soon. Dual-core was a huge, very needed jump because of multi-tasking, real-time notifications, and gaming...but the only use I can see for quads right now would be for gaming on tablets and pushing 1080p graphics out there. And even if we had a quad device tomorrow, it would be awhile before anything is really coded to take full advantage of it.

Plus...I hope that HTC device is a prototype, because it looks exactly like the other 20 HTC phones that came out this year, and it's looking incredibly bulky too.

Yadao

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site

Nexus phones are yearly, don't expect another one till this time next year.

Just like how 2 cores weren't fully taken advantage of by Android until now, 4 cores probably wont be optimized for Android until at least the next Nexus comes around.

This news doesn't effect my decision of buying the Galaxy Nexus one bit.

goldkear

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site

you're entering into the realm of always looking ahead. if you really wanna wait months and months for a phone that is barely a rumor right now, go ahead. Then when it comes out there will be rumors of something even bigger and better, what then? pick a phone you know is coming soon, and love it for what it is.

Reactions: reflekt2099

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site

I buy a phone every 2 years so I will have the GN for at least 2 years abd won't even worry about a different phone for at least 18 months :)

Officerpolabear

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site

Just like how 2 cores weren't fully taken advantage of by Android until now, 4 cores probably wont be optimized for Android until at least the next Nexus comes around.

Since ICS is optimized for multiple cores, wouldn't that include quad-cores?

Reactions: Jdm4292

FluxTZ

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site

Eh. You are taking a chance buying "the first" of something. The first dual-core phone was the T-Mobile G2X...and it had many, many issues. It isn't even officially running on an Android version that can take full advantage of both cores (Gingerbread). T-Mobile abandoned it very prematurely, like they do with most of their devices.

Phones with better specs will be revealed at CES. You will see quad devices. But the fact is this...the Nexus line is perfectly optimized to run on the latest version of Android. Not only that but anything you see at CES won't be in your hands anytime soon. Think May/June/July at the earliest.

I'm perfectly fine with dual core for right now, and the Nexus is going to be awesome.

That is... unless you're Motorola... in which case you'd be looking at September...

Scottatron

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site

Shame that HTC will probably only put a tiny battery in it.

phantomash

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site

Plus the design looks kinda ugly to me, what's up with the back?

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site

Not interested. HTC already is awful with battery not to mention android don't utilize all the cores so its pretty much a waste atm.

BSG75

Custom User Title
May 11, 2010
Visit site

Since ICS is optimized for multiple cores, wouldn't that include quad-cores?

People keep saying this. Can someone point to some documentation on this optimization in ICS? Is this just DVM updates? Is it just hardware acceleration? I have seen this repeated often but have never seen the source of the rumor. I frankly don't know what other optimization could be being referenced, and I don't think it would be all that noticeable since all modern OSes (including Froyo, Gingerbread & Honeycomb) support multiple processing cores.

I would not buy another HTC device. Sense is just too much of a battery killer. Unless they put CM8 on it, I'm steering clear. Also, it has capacitive buttons. No way I'm getting a phone with buttons now that ICS is out.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site

This type of info is what makes so many people view the Nexus as old technology. Because people are reading about it, even though the articles states that it wont be out until late next year, their tiny brains think it already exist.

Anyway, I don't know why someone would buy a quad core htc phone. The htc single core phones, and the duel core phones get about 4 to 8 hours of batter life (every one of them ever made), so that would put a quad core at what... 2 to 4 hours?

EDIT: One more thought...Anybody that wants to abandon the Nexus, a phone that's due to be release in the next 2 to 4 weeks, for a vapor ware device that in all likelihood wont be for sale for 12 months or more, might want to get their tiny brain checked out.

Last edited:

ManBearPig618

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site

This is how I know I really want the Nexus and likely will have no problems holding on to it for 20+ months: this leak doesn't even cause me to hesitate for a second. Nexus, here I come.

Reactions: oxymoron

obi5683

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site

ICS should be scalable.

Mooem

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site

Even a quad core device that probably won't come till mid next year won't get me to back down from the Nexus.

BSG75

Custom User Title
May 11, 2010
Visit site

Just like how 2 cores weren't fully taken advantage of by Android until now

I'm dying for some documentation on this. It's often repeated, but I would love to read a technical explanation of this. My hunch is that this is that it already is working very well and any enhancements will be minor and unnoticeable from a practical standpoint.

The kernel handles the work of giving tasks to the cores. The actual OS doesn't worry about that. That is one reason I'm so curious out this conventional wisdom.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech