Nexus/Ice Cream Sandwich People App

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
Since this got no responses in the dead ICS forum, I'll post it here:

Hey everyone,

So we all know photos are going to be a big part of ICS's People app. Large, high-res photos are going to look very nice and feature prominently on the call screen and incoming call screen. I don't know about you guys, but most of the photos I have for contacts are kind of low-res. I use SyncMyPix to get Facebook photos onto my device for my phone contacts (I don't use the Facebook apps sync because I don't want ALL of my Facebook friends on my phone). While SyncMyPix works well enough, it still syncs low-res photos. I would love to have higher resolution photos synced to my ICS device for the People app but the dev has not answered me in regards to this request.

Tell me; what are YOUR plans for filling out the People app with nice, high-resolution photos?

hyperdude

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Since this got no responses in the dead ICS forum, I'll post it here:

Hey everyone,

So we all know photos are going to be a big part of ICS's People app. Large, high-res photos are going to look very nice and feature prominently on the call screen and incoming call screen. I don't know about you guys, but most of the photos I have for contacts are kind of low-res. I use SyncMyPix to get Facebook photos onto my device for my phone contacts (I don't use the Facebook apps sync because I don't want ALL of my Facebook friends on my phone). While SyncMyPix works well enough, it still syncs low-res photos. I would love to have higher resolution photos synced to my ICS device for the People app but the dev has not answered me in regards to this request.

Tell me; what are YOUR plans for filling out the People app with nice, high-resolution photos?
I'll probably copy photos of my friends and family onto the phone and crop them into their contacts. Or maybe do that on the computer and have them synced onto the phone.

Otherwise I'll just live with the lower-res pictures being scaled up.

One thing I remember them saying during the announcement was that the People app would sync pictures with Google+. Which doesn't help me that much because only about three people I keep in my contacts are actually using G+ lol

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
That's a good question. I have some of the same contact photos from when I had the nexus one and, the photos keep degrading & degrading when I switch them from Android to IOS and back. It would be nice to take advantage of the people app's nice look, with the high-res photos.

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
One thing I remember them saying during the announcement was that the People app would sync pictures with Google+. Which doesn't help me that much because only about three people I keep in my contacts are actually using G+ lol

Lol yeah, that's my G+ problem.

kilofoxtrot

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
If you have a ton of contacts, I would think low res contact pics will keep the contacts app "zippy". Would hi res slow the app down?

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
If you have a ton of contacts, I would think low res contact pics will keep the contacts app "zippy". Would hi res slow the app down?

No way to know that until we get the device, I guess. I'm hoping it won't as it is built with photos in mind.

yapkuen

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Otherwise I'll just live with the lower-res pictures being scaled up.

This is probably what I'll do, because I'm too lazy to manually add good photos, but I'm not looking forward to it. The low-res photos synced from Facebook already look pretty awful on my Incredible, so I don't even want to think about how they'll look stretched out on a 720p display.

ManBearPig618

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
So we will be able to manually select photos for our contacts though, correct? The People App won't automatically fill in the pictures via Facebook, etc., and prevent us from changing it, will it?

charveldude

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
Maybe I'll just make cartoon avatars for everybody. :)

Seriously, I only have a handful of contacts that I also know on G+ (which I almost never use), so it seems a bit difficult for me to populate this feature. It would be nice to have a "grab photo" feature built-in, if happen into a FB photo of a given contact or such. I wouldn't really trust an "auto-photo" feature that goes beyond G+. God only knows what photos my contacts would end up with...

Akuma

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
I don't use pictures of people necessarily, most of the time I just put a picture that I like to a contact I hear from often. the name pops up to and I like to read.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

dimachka

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I'll probably just take pictures of people as I see them and use those. I rarely talk to people on the phone that I don't also see at least once in a while.

hyperdude

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
So we will be able to manually select photos for our contacts though, correct? The People App won't automatically fill in the pictures via Facebook, etc., and prevent us from changing it, will it?
I imagine it will try to populate it from G+, Facebook, Twitter, etc. But I'd be very surprised if it doesn't allow you to change the photo like we always have been able to - that is, choose 'Change photo', pick where to get it from (Gallery, File Manager, etc), crop it, ...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar