Interesting article about Galaxy Nexus.

kashabrown

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
I agree.

It's such a shame that they couldn't do it "right" and release the device at the same time Apple released theirs. I truly believe that there would have been a large percentage of Iophiles that would have switched.

kashabrown

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
Why do people care weather it competes with iPhone, how does that affect us? I just want the phone, not interested in what phone sells more than the other.

Honestly? I have been a Apple hater for many years. I don't like their company philosphy, don't like that they make you utilize their products THEIR way. I don't like being told what to do, how to do it and where and when I can do it.

kashabrown

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
It's not just their phones. It's the whole company philosophy. I am a techie, so phones/computers/etc. are a hobby of mine - just my opinion is all and based upon the OP's reason to post the article, I am not alone in my thinking.

kilofoxtrot

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
Honestly? I have been a Apple hater for many years. I don't like their company philosphy, don't like that they make you utilize their products THEIR way. I don't like being told what to do, how to do it and where and when I can do it.

In a market of free will, where you have the choice to buy from a company or not buy, why "hate" Apple?

As a Bears fan, I can get behind hating the Packers.... because I am supposed to as an emotional, illogical sports fan. But to hate a company that just happens to offer a different choice than the one you prefer.... I dont get it. Is Apple pointing their iGun at your head forcing you to buy their products? Does it ruin your day?

Apple and Android force each other to improve and improvise. Your present Android phone and the future Android phone is better and will improve because of Apple. It works the other way too.

kashabrown

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
In a market of free will, where you have the choice to buy from a company or not buy, why "hate" Apple?

As a Bears fan, I can get behind hating the Packers.... because I am supposed to as an emotional, illogical sports fan. But to hate a company that just happens to offer a different choice than the one you prefer.... I dont get it. Is Apple pointing their iGun at your head forcing you to buy their products? Does it ruin your day?

Apple and Android force each other to improve and improvise. Your present Android phone and the future Android phone is better and will improve because of Apple. It works the other way too.

I am free to "hate" anyone or anything I want - like you, I "hate" the Patriots - I am a Jets fan.

I never intimated that I felt that Apple was forcing me to buy their products. I have a lot of friends who dismiss anything that isn't Ios related. It would be nice to have an alternative that lives up to or passes the abilities of the Iphone, so we can have spirited discussions on the two mobile operating systems. Finally, it seems to me that is, that the latest ICS intineration of Android has the abilities to do that. Like I just said, tech is a hobby of mine and I am passionate about it.

I agree with your last statement about product improvement. I don't want Apple to go away, I just want Android to be smarter, faster and better. The article that the OP posted shows that there are others that have similar feelings about it.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
It's not just their phones. It's the whole company philosophy. I am a techie, so phones/computers/etc. are a hobby of mine - just my opinion is all and based upon the OP's reason to post the article, I am not alone in my thinking.

No your not alone. I just thought this article would generate some good discussion. I'm not as disgusted as some of the people who posted below the article but, I do think the writer made some valid points. I'm still getting the phone, no matter when it comes out.

kilofoxtrot

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
To me... the article is written by someone who is basically having a hissy-fit over not getting a Nexus when they want it.

Samsung isnt a poor company by any means... maybe Mr. Earley should start his own billion dollar company and run it the way he sees fit.

I wonder how he would do?

My 80 - old father can use an iPhone... not a chance in hell that he could use an Android phone. There are many non-techies that are in the same category. People on this board are not in this category. There are way, way more of "them" then there are of "us". Thats OK... in fact... its perfect if you ask me.

I hope it stays that way.

Reactions: crzycrkr

nemov

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
The article lost me when they said it was "rumored" that Google was positioning the Galaxy Nexus to rival the iPhone." So the phone launch is a disappointment because of a false rumor?

Fanboy nonsense through and through.

Reactions: crzycrkr

charveldude

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
People already seem to be forgetting the general unhappiness over the iPhone 4S launch. Apple took the exact opposite approach as Samsung and Google, in that they released absolutely no information until just before the phone was ready for preordering. That led to massive amounts of hype and speculation that ultimately shot far beyond what the actual product ended up being. The 4S ended up being an incremental improvement, not a game-changer. Apple never promised a game-changer, but their wall of secrecy coupled with months of delays led things to get out of hand. I will say this: as a current 3GS user, the disappointment over the 4S is what led me to seriously start looking to switch to Android.

My impression of the massive preorder numbers for the 4S is that the bulk of it consists of existing iPhone users upgrading. I haven't yet seen how much of the 4S market is new business, so to speak. Any new iPhone generation is going to have massive preorders because of the upgrade factor. I don't know that Apple's marketing machine, slick as it may be, had a lot to do with it this time around.

It does seem like the release of the GN has been botched from a marketing perspective. To a degree, this simply highlights the unwieldy nature of the Android universe, existing as an unusual partnership between Google, manufacturers and carriers. Getting everybody on board to do an Apple-style product launch is probably impossible.

nemov

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
People already seem to be forgetting the general unhappiness over the iPhone 4S launch..

There was no general unhappiness. It was more fanboy nonsense from blog writers and tech journalists. The average consumer purchases a phone every two years. That person will love the new iPhone because it's much better than their two year old phone.

spas2k

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
The issue is when Apple shows you a product for the first time, they also let you know when exactly the phone will be out and when you can spend your money. And that date is usually the same day, or a few days later when the hype is high.

The issue with the nexus launch is that Samsung and Google put on this big public show displaying their new phone and software and then basically went on vacation. No mention as to when the phone comes out, when you can spend your money, or really anything at all. Nothing.

Now it's almost a full MONTH later and we still don't have any idea as to when we can buy one and I know a bunch of people that wanted to get one, got something else instead, some even an iphone. All because they got tired of waiting. That is where the "fail" comes in, in terms of lost sales.

Verizon doesn't care, they sell whichever phone offers them the larger bottom line. No bloatware? No branding? Eh, ok, how about no advertising, we are going to let the Razr launch play out and then maybe launch the nexus when the water settles. Do you think samsung and google are going to give verizon the nexus next year after this garbage? Google needs to take a harder stance against verizon. Google needs to grow a pair. Apple has a pair. They announce a phone and then they tell the carriers when they are going to offer it or they don't get it, period. Apple launches a phone that day on multiple carriers. Google leaves us waiting because they are verizon's b*tch.

ohiomoto

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
I found out about this article through a poster at the XDA-Dev forum, I thought it was interesting and is kinda how I feel.

The Samsung Galaxy Nexus and the launch that could have been | Android and Me
What's so interesting about it? Some guy blogs a comprehensive summary of what people are saying on the forums. It's very well written, I'll give him that.

Personally, I'm growing tired of tech bloggers. Blogs are just opinions and opinions are like....well you know how the saying goes. If they want' to provide facts or offer an opinion on a piece of hardware, great. But all of the half baked theories and conjuncture is waste of time in my book. Of course that's just my opinion and you know what they say about opinions...

borgey401

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
I think this article is half BS and half truth in my opinion. I agree they should have had concrete release dates and pricing for ALL carriers. Even if it's only the carriers that will get the device initially. Think about it, it has been a month or so since Google announced and it has even been 3 weeks since Verizon themsleves announced the device. I don't agree that Google "does not want us to know" information about release and pricing, since all the UK carriers have a solid release date and pricing. The issue here is obviously Verizon, they are the ones that are holding the device back if anyone is indeed holding up release. We all know it's because of the DROID Razr and maybe even the HTC Rezound too. I am willing to bet that if the Razr was not coming out this month we would already have release and it might even be coming out this week. Bottom line of my post is that I agree they should have not announced the device until they had SOLID information or at least give it to us within the next week or so. But still being in the dark after a month is pretty pathetic IMO. Oh well hopefully in the next week or so we'll hear something about the date and pricing but at this point I am not holding my breath.

borgey401

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
My current theory is that they are just making us foam at the mouth deliberately so we will not calmly walk into the store and try the Nexus against the other phones, but instead hit the pre-order trigger as fast as humanly posible.

Absolutely, that's exactly what they are wanting you to do. They have branded the DROID line so obviously they will make more money on the Razr than the Nexus. The thing is I honestly have absolutely ZERO interest in ANY other device that is out or is coming out in the near future. I have two upgrades on my account at the moment. One of them I have had for around 7 months and the other I have had for about 4 months. I have been trying to upgrade for the longest time now. I have been waiting forever for this device now it seems.

kashabrown

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
I, for one, will wait as long as it takes. This is the device I want - although would rather have Motorola hardware, this is as close as it will be to get the total package.

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
I read this article yesterday and commented over in another thread. It is well written, but I agree with the people that say he's just crying. Because he want one now. He also makes a whole lot of assumptions into Google's intentions. I still don't believe they have any intention of the Nexus competing against the iPhone. Its still a dev device to them.

CynicX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
This release will likely happen pretty quick. I'm thinking 2 week announcement and if preorders are available that will be 1 week from store release. I'm patiently waiting. Nerd alert, Mw3 is holding me over till skyrim on friday which will keep my mind occupied for a couple months.... :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey