GNex now or GS3 later?

Hangfire79

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I apologize in advance if this is in the wrong area.

I've been pretty dead set on using my 2yr contract re-up on the GNex but now the more I hear about the GS3, the more I'm contemplating holding out for a phone that will without question smash the GNex in almost every regard, if the specs hold up that is. I, unfortunately, don't have $600-800 to pay full retail for a new device every time one tickles my fancy. So, with that being said, should I use my discount on the GNex or man up and hold out for more info come March on something that may or may not come to the Big Red?

borgey401

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
Or you could just say efff it and wait another two years for the SGS with a 8 core processor and 13 gb of ram. If YOU like the device buy it if you don't then wait. After all its YOU buying it not everyone else on here.

Hangfire79

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Or you could just say efff it and wait another two years for the SGS with a 8 core processor and 13 gb of ram. If YOU like the device buy it if you don't then wait. After all its YOU buying it not everyone else on here.

See, now I know you're trying to be humorous in a sense but your answer was not the kind I'm looking for, sorry. I'm getting a new device within the next 6 months regardless of what is out as I need to upgrade, but want the best for my money. Is it so strange that I ask the opinions of others? I'm very aware that it's MY decision and if I like then I should buy it. These are things I know, I am simply looking for opinions related to the question from people that have opinions related to the question. Thnx though. I would appreciate any actual opinions.

Last edited:

Kevin Gossett

Retired Moderator
Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
An SGS3 on Verizon (if that happens) won't be released in the next 6 months... Closer to a year on that one. So if 6 months is your timeline, the GN will still be very relevant

kilofoxtrot

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
See, now I know you're trying to be humorous in a sense but your answer was not the kind I'm looking for, sorry. I'm getting a new device within the next 6 months regardless of what is out as I need to upgrade, but want the best for my money. Is it so strange that I ask the opinions of others? I'm very aware that it's MY decision and if I like then I should buy it. These are things I know, I am simply looking for opinions related to the question from people that have opinions related to the question. Thnx though. I would appreciate any actual opinions.

You need to upgrade now or 6 months from now? Your original post leads one to believe you are eligible now. If thats the case, then I say upgrade. But you have to realize that there will always be a better phone on the horizon... presently and 6 months from now.

adp192

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
hardware-wise, yes the galaxy sIII will be the bomb, everyone's expecting a quad-core, 2GB RAM beast with impossible specs and it does sound very tempting. But what makes every phone on the Nexus line special is that everything is integrated into one device. Both Google and Samsung have worked to fit every hardware (processor, RAM, NFC even the camera) to be fully optimised for ICS. Sure the GSIII will beat the GN with specs, but it does not guarantee the best mobile experience.

ICS was developed for dual cores, and even if the technology in processors have levelled up to a level as high as quad core, if the software is not compatible it won't really make a difference.

Furthermore, there is always the inevitability of Samsung integrating Touchwiz which will definitely, in my opinion at least, degrade the user experience and won't give you the same 'oomph' you get when you try out the device for the first time. This will also slow down upgrade availability since Samsung has to upgrade touchwiz along with Android's platform whenever there are new updates (as what is happening now with ICS)

Looking at trends, however, I think Samsung's Galaxy line (S and SII) have won in popularity against the Nexus. Everywhere I see there are SII's everywhere and the only Nexus S I have seen as of late are the ones displayed on shops and a couple of friends who seem to not even care what phone they have..

Then comes with price, if you're planning to upgrade to a new phone in March, it would be sometime around a couple of weeks after Galaxy SIII's release, which means the retail would go to around 700-900 bucks. Due to its popularity, there wouldn't also be too much stock available.

I really reckon you should get the GN. My contract expires next February and I have already pre-ordered the GN as I am planning to change carriers next year anyway. If you are really keen to have it, I suggest getting the fresh batch to fully immerse yourself in its true awesomeness!

hope this helps :)

Reactions: Hangfire79

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
yeah, it'd probably be next fall before we see anything in the US. Not to mention I'm sure talks of a quad-core nexus will be in the works by then. Don't think you can really go wrong with the GNex though. Samsung hasn't proven to be reliable on updating their US variants so a google phone is really the only way to go imo.

Hangfire79

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
You need to upgrade now or 6 months from now? Your original post leads one to believe you are eligible now. If thats the case, then I say upgrade. But you have to realize that there will always be a better phone on the horizon... presently and 6 months from now.

No, I'm fully aware that there will be a better phone in 6 months, 1 year, 8 months, 1 year and 3 months from now. Yes, I'm eligible now for an upgrade. My question is really that simple, should I upgrade now........... or......... wait 6 months and see if there is any more news on the GS3? I don't HAVE to have any phone. I'm not a phone freak, I don't lose my bowels over a new device, lol. I'm just interested in the specs of the GS3 but won't wait a year.

Hangfire79

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
yeah, it'd probably be next fall before we see anything in the US. Not to mention I'm sure talks of a quad-core nexus will be in the works by then. Don't think you can really go wrong with the GNex though. Samsung hasn't proven to be reliable on updating their US variants so a google phone is really the only way to go imo.

Thnx, I'm thinking more along those lines but am always wishy-washy when it comes to electronics, been burned too many times, lol.

ratchetjaw#AC

Oct 27, 2009
Visit site
I say get the Nexus. Heck the wat things are going their release dates may end up close to each other lol. My plans are to get the nexus and stick with the Nexus line.

Chasing the newest Android has gotten expensive and frustrating. So now I plan to just do the Nexus line, and upgrade when the new one hits each year

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
These types of posts never have a clear answer because none of us can really see more than about 3 months into the future with any certainty.

This is my rule of thumb, though.

1) Don't look past carriers you can live with. Phones that are awesome on carriers that aren't good in your area you won't ultimately be happy with. I have Nexus S 4G on Sprint and it's great provided I don't need to make a call...
2) Don't look at devices that aren't announced yet for carriers you can live with. There is no sense is basing any decision on rumor. I don't care who tells you what, no one knows for sure that any phone is coming to any carrier until the carrier says so.
3) When you are ready for an upgrade and see something that you like that meets 3-5 of the things you are looking for in a phone, just get it. If you keep waiting there will always be something better around the corner. Then be happy with whatever you get. You can't stay on top of phones in this market without spending a small fortune over the course of a year so it's cheaper to just learn to be happy with whatever you pick.

Reactions: Ace4 and Hangfire79

kilofoxtrot

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
Buy the GN now and sell it when the GS3 comes out later. If you take care of the GN.... I would wager that the cost would be the same as getting a GS3 via upgrade if it comes on VZW, provided its not past six months.

Of course I could be wrong.... )

bberrynewbie84

Galaxy nexus!
Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
These types of posts never have a clear answer because none of us can really see more than about 3 months into the future with any certainty.

1) Don't look past carriers you can live with. Phones that are awesome on carriers that aren't good in your area you won't ultimately be happy with. I have Nexus S 4G on Sprint and it's great provided I don't need to make a call...
2) Don't look at devices that aren't announced yet for carriers you can live with. There is no sense is basing any decision on rumor. I don't care who tells you what, no one knows for sure that any phone is coming to any carrier until the carrier says so.
3) When you are ready for an upgrade and see something that you like that meets 3-5 of the things you are looking for in a phone, just get it. If you keep waiting there will always be something better around the corner. Then be happy with whatever you get. You can't stay on top of phones in this market without spending a small fortune over the course of a year so it's cheaper to just learn to be happy with whatever you pick.

Now this makes alot of sense

Hangfire79

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site

I'm not looking for an answer really but your post is very good, I appreciate it.

MMcCraryNJ

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
First Galaxy S variant available in US - July 2010
First Galaxy S II variant available in US - September 2011

I'd say you have 12-14 months at least before any of us sees the GSIII in the States.
Also, if you want/need a device now, holding off for a device that only has rumors and speculation as to its specs or release date, one in which hasn't even been officially announced, is kinda silly.

Bottom line, buy a new device when it's right for you. Don't worry about what is coming down the pike. Jump in when you feel comfortable and when the device does what you want it to do.

whartpence

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm in the same boat in that I became eligible for an upgrade on November 4. I was disappointed to see the extra "loyalty discount" is only $50 fomr me this time when Verizon gave $100 each time I reached the 20 month point in the past. It's certain better than nothing, which might be what they give me next time for all I know. Anyway, I am also curious what the SGSIII and other phones will be like once the quad cores are out next year but I am getting the GN as soon as it's available. The new phones will take some time to hit the market and the first quad core phones will probably have issues, just as the first dual core phones did (battery life, software that uses the new hardware to the fullest, etc). If the GN is eveything it's cracked up to be, I will be happy with it for the next 20 months even as more capable phones surpass it. We can't get a new phone every month, after all. Pure Google here I come!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaahza