I read somewhere (forget where) that Samsung will go with ext file system on this phone.

Can anyone confirm or deny this?

The 2 Samsung phones I have owned, and as I understand every other Samsung device, you had to change the filesystem to ext from rfs via a voodoo lagfix kernel to get decent performance. Will be glad if they do away with rfs from the get go.
    11-10-2011 12:53 PM
    Most likely yes, I think the nexus s uses ext. I had a fascinate and the only thing ext did was bump up quadrant scores couldn't really tell a difference performance wise over rfs.
    11-10-2011 01:03 PM
    I read somewhere (forget where) that Samsung will go with ext file system on this phone.

Can anyone confirm or deny this?

The 2 Samsung phones I have owned, and as I understand every other Samsung device, you had to change the filesystem to ext from rfs via a voodoo lagfix kernel to get decent performance. Will be glad if they do away with rfs from the get go.
    Galaxy Nexus is a pure Android phone using an unmodified kernel from Google. Samsung doesn't get to mess anything up with respect to the software, kernel included.
    11-10-2011 01:05 PM
    I don't think Samsung has used rfs on any of its newer devices. I know the GT10.1 doesn't, and I'd be surprised if the S2 series did.

Regardless, the GNex will use ext4 for a few reasons: one, it's Google's default Android filesystem (yes, the Nexus S had ext4 too), and I'm pretty sure that Honeycomb and above devices require ext4 simply because of the way they handle storage and mounting now.
    11-10-2011 02:37 PM
    Not even sure Samsung uses RFS anymore, but even if they did, it is Samsung's proprietary filesystem so Google wouldn't use it.
    11-10-2011 06:00 PM
    Its not in my nexus s

Sent from my ICONIA using Tapatalk
    11-10-2011 06:01 PM
    Thanks guys. I thought Samsung slapped rfs onto all their phones. It's on my charge.
    But with the nexus s not having it its for sure the GN won't. Was getting tired of hearing the voodoo lady.

Back to the waiting game ;-)

Sent from my SCH-I510
    11-10-2011 07:04 PM
    The nexus s uses mtd (memory technology device) partition layout and yaffs2 partition format for all partitions except for movinand (data) which is ext4.

sent from your mom's bed
    11-10-2011 07:19 PM
    Ext4, that sounds familiar, isn't that a filesystem you can format Ubuntu in also? Android is a mobile Linux OS so, I'm assuming it is.
    11-10-2011 07:28 PM
    Yep. Pretty much all modern (GNU/)Linux operating systems use ext4 by default currently.

At least until btrfs goes stable!
    11-10-2011 08:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD