in stores or online ...

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
This isn't quite 100 percent a done deal yet (and as such, file under "unconfirmed,") but I'm hearing again we could be back to an online-only sales situation.

This has gone back and forth a few times that I know of. But it's still in the cards, I suppose.

Just FYI.

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
*sigh*

Verizon needs to figure this out. They're the only carrier that has problems launching devices. If this is true, though, I guess it saves me the camping out in front of the store.

Thanks, Phil.

ManBearPig618

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, the online-launch seems to be likely right now....which I guess at least eliminates the need to deal one on one with VZW reps opening the boxes and "testing"....

Salacon

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Online only is certainly perfectly fine with me, since that was how I was going to get it anyway.

Thanks for the information, Phil!

shanghai

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Well, if that makes it available sooner so be it. I appreciate your efforts in keeping us informed, let us know if you hear of any real date for on line orders.:'(

All_Ears

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
With an online only thing, does that mean it would likely not be sold at Best Buy? I have approximately $400 in gift certificates available for Best Buy (traded in an old computer), and was hoping to be able to just use that to get the phone along with some accessories.

Mooem

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
So Droid-Life's web-only Nov 21st leak may have more weight now? I wouldn't mind a web-only launch since that was how I planned on buying it.

So close yet seemingly so far away.

JoeUserTX

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
So Droid-Life's web-only Nov 21st leak may have more weight now? I wouldn't mind a web-only launch since that was how I planned on buying it.

Theoretically, they could open online ordering today, if they wanted. I'm sure they already have the SKU in the system, and probably already have the sales page created by now.

Seems like a smart way to do it; keep the enthusiasts (us) happy by releasing it online, and don't step on the Razr promo for the next week (and then release it to stores for general sale after Black Friday).

Thanks for the info, Phil!

VideoEngineerAJS

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
If it's online only, make it the 17th. I wonder if there is anything to what someone said in the 2100mah battery thread about them possibly needing to stamp out new backs for the batteries? That would make sense as to why they would be waffling back and forth about store or online launch. I mean they obviously know that people are wanting the phone, so I wonder if they just want to get it out online so it will buy them some time to get it to their stores.

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
FWIW: I don't think it's just Verizon to blame.

We're in a weird place here, right? Bunch of big players in one room. Verizon, known for being, shall we say, picky. Google, cause it's a Nexus phone, and Samsung, because it's the OEM.

It's interesting to think about how things have changed form the Nexus One, when HTC was more of a behind the scenes (ie traditional) OEM. It's not like HTC's logo wasn't on the phone, but neither was it called the HTC Nexus One.

Mooem

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Theoretically, they could open online ordering today, if they wanted. I'm sure they already have the SKU in the system, and probably already have the sales page created by now.

Seems like a smart way to do it; keep the enthusiasts (us) happy by releasing it online, and don't step on the Razr promo for the next week (and then release it to stores for general sale after Black Friday).

Thanks for the info, Phil!

True. It would make sense to do a period of direct fulfillment especially with it being so close to the Razr's and Rezound's release.

I certainly hope that will be the case.

JoeUserTX

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Phil, I think you should invite the honchos of all three down to McGuire's, don the striped referee shirt, and let 'em hash this out over a few cold pints, waddaya say?
cheers.gif

MMcCraryNJ

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
Online only would be fine with me (the sooner the better), but would be really dumb on the part of Verizon, especially if they don't get this out before Black Friday weekend.

If I'm a normal customer looking for a new smartphone for either myself or someone for the holidays, I'm going into Verizon to look at either the RAZR, ReZound, Nexus, or 4S. If the model I'm particularly interested in isn't there and there's not much else to look at, I'm going to leave the store empty handed, maybe think about it for a little bit longer or not even bother. But if I walk into a Verizon store knowing that they have the 3 best Android phones, all of which are exclusive to Verizon, plus the new Iphone, I'm eventually going to find something I find worthy of purchasing.

I don't pretend to know good marketing, but we're getting closer to Thanksgiving already and most people are already gearing up for holiday shopping. Verizon has a HUGE opportunity to advertise that they have the 3 best Android phones in a something-for-everyone kind of way, plus the 4S on the most reliable network, but all we are getting from them so far is the RAZR, and their window of opportunity is shrinking if they want to meet the biggest holiday shopping weekend all year.

But I agree, make us happy and release the damn thing online, and then market it in stores, if that is how you want to roll.

Asterdroid

Fanboi
May 10, 2011
Visit site
Question for those who have purchased online. Will I be able to activate my girlfriend's line on my old phone once I upgrade to the galaxy nexus or will I still need to go into a brick and mortar to accomplish that part of it?

She's getting my Incredible once I get the Nexus.

Edit: This is, of course, assuming the Nexus is only available online.

VideoEngineerAJS

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Question for those who have purchased online. Will I be able to activate my girlfriend's line on my old phone once I upgrade to the galaxy nexus or will I still need to go into a brick and mortar to accomplish that part of it?

She's getting my Incredible once I get the Nexus.

You can do it online. My mom has changed phones up to 3 times in 3 days when she thought she lost her primary phone one time.

I'll have a little more work to do. I'm giving my mom my Thunderbolt, so I'll have to get a new sim for her since the Nexus apparently uses a micro sim.

Last edited:

philly

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
online order would be fine with me.. I'd be rather excited to hear that the web orders are for sure opening up on the 21st.. It would be a very nice feeling once I clicked confirm my order and it went through..

CynicX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Does the package need to be signed for with online orders? That is a real hassle for me due to my work schedule or lack of schedule I should say.....

Here is my real gripe though. 1 I hate buying sight unseen. 2 I need to see the size of this thing in real life to make sure the LTE version isn't too large. 3 I need to feel if I think it will be durable enough since I'm hard on a phone. 4 I want to look at the cases and screen protectors.

I'm sure I can think of some other things but oh well. I hate to just wing it and hope for the best but if that's what it takes....

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae