Annoyed Samsung?

jimbosi

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
This morning, Samsung VP Nick DiCarlo was interviewed on Fox Business about the G-Nex. His comments about the Verizon release were interesting. Specifically, he said essentially that the release is in Verizon's hands now, and it's up to them to announce a date.

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLATjBC_x2Q[/YT]

I'm no expert in corporate communications or public affairs. However, I do know that talking in someone's stead can be perilous. It seems to me that Samsung wants Verizon to release the G-Nex as much as we want it. I sensed frustration from DiCarlo.

Google/Samsung had the ICS event over three weeks ago. I'm sure they're depending on that inertia to sustain interest. The more time passes, the more customers will pass the G-Nex by because something better will invariably come along.

I think Verizon was/is in a quandary. They have three manufacturers (Moto (Razr), HTC (Rezound), and Samsung (G-Nex)) all releasing phones in a very narrow window right before the holidays. Further, Samsung is a direct competitor to the other two. Samsung is potentially annoyed with Verizon and its silence regarding the release date.

I think the interview is, in part, an attempt to exert pressure on Verizon to make an announcement. Vendors overseas have made announcements.

Finally, the very vehicle was curious, especially in relation to the apparent absence of other aspect of an ad campaign. It seems to me these business interviews are intended to amplify buzz generated by a proper campaign. This appearance just seems to stick out.

Thoughts?

ManBearPig618

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, he certainly put the ball in Verizon's court. I think everyone is eager to get this phone out except VZW, and I guess I understand why. They have two other devices launching and need to make sure, for their relationship with Moto and HTC, that those phones get the attention they need, one by one, so every device has a chance to sell. Annoying and disappointing for us, but...hey, I guess that's business.

Personally, I feel like release all of them at once and let consumers pick. There will always be HTC, Moto, Samsung fans out there that are going to buy the device regardless of comparisons.

sushiglobster

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site
Yup. I got that same feeling. Samsung is a bit annoyed with Verizon. I have no idea what kind of politics are at work there...but it doesn't sound very fun.

The device was announced almost a full month ago and in that time the RAZR and Rezound were announced and with those announcements came launch dates.

It's quite amazing that we still have heard nothing on a release date from Verizon, let alone the thickness of the LTE version. Also, cases for the GN have started showing up in stores and also training materials as well. Yet, no launch date announcement.

W.T.F.

?

Also, November 10th is here. One of the rumored dates. And....*drum roll*.....nothing has happened. The next date to look forward to is the 17th....if nothing happens by then, the next date is the "week of" the 21st.

These dates are coming up fast, I cannot believe we still have no release date.

It's not about wanting the device now...it's not knowing when. Hell, even if a launch date of January 1st 2012 came I'd be happy, because at least it would be an actual date.

Okay...rant over.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Of course Samsung wants the phone out so they can sell them and make money. Won't make any money if phone doesn't come out.

jimbosi

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
Perhaps, but doubtful. I think (designed) ad campaigns are specifically crafted for maximum impact. I think the appearance of a Samsung VP isn't an impulsive act, or simply because Fox called Samsung.

I think Samsung execs had a meeting in which they said, "so -when- is Verizon gonna start selling our friggin' phone? We need to put some pressure on them, other OEMs be damned. Let's poke a stick by going on Fox."

On the other hand, from Verizon's perspective, they're afraid of cannibalizing sales of competitor's phones. They want to spread out releases for maximum sales year-round, or at least quarter to quarter.

I read an article saying that Nintendo does the same thing (releases games over an interval), despite the games already having been finished and ready for sale. It seems to me Verizon intends the same thing.

jimbosi

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
Perhaps, but doubtful. I think (designed) ad campaigns are specifically crafted for maximum impact. I think the appearance of a Samsung VP isn't an impulsive act, or simply because Fox called Samsung.

I think Samsung execs had a meeting in which they said, "so -when- is Verizon gonna start selling our friggin' phone? We need to put some pressure on them, other OEMs be damned. Let's poke a stick by going on Fox."

On the other hand, from Verizon's perspective, they're afraid of cannibalizing sales of competitor's phones. They want to spread out releases for maximum sales year-round, or at least quarter to quarter.

I read an article saying that Nintendo does the same thing (releases games over an interval), despite the games already having been finished and ready for sale. It seems to me Verizon intends the same thing.

philly

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Isnt this interview from last week? thought someone already posted this..

this is freaking me out.. we def watched this video last week.. yet every site is reporting it as being from yesterday.

I only watched the first 15 seconds to know its the same video.. I can tell you exactly how the video ends.. with him doing the voice to text thing and showing it for the camera but its to far away for anyone to see. Hopefully someone can pull up the old thread so I know im not going crazy.

Last edited:
Reactions: tx_tuff

edoublediz

Banned
Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
i effing hate vzw!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! they seriously, time and time again have the worst releases period!!!!!! who is charge of this over there? for gods sake learn how to announce, set date, release!!!!!

announce, set date, release announce, set date, release announce, set date, release announce, set date, release announce, set date, release announce, set date, release announce, set date, release announce, set date, release announce, set date, release announce, set date, release announce, set date, release announce, set date, release announce, set date, release announce, set date, release announce, set date, release announce, set date, release announce, set date, release announce, set date, release announce, set date, release announce, set date, release announce, set date, release announce, set date, release announce, set date, release announce, set date, release announce, set date, release announce, set date, release announce, set date, release announce, set date, release announce, set date, release announce, set date, release announce, set date, release announce, set date, release

Akuma

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
I can't wait until the phone is released so threads like this will cease to exist.

I can't wait until it's released so I don't have to see your rude comments on other peoples threads...you always take the time to be rude to others with a 1 sentence insult. Troll.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

WaistDownUnder

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
i effing hate vzw!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! they seriously, time and time again have the worst releases period!!!!!! who is charge of this over there? for gods sake learn how to announce, set date, release!!!!!

How often do you have to replace keyboards due to the exclamation button being worn out?

nemov

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
I can't wait until it's released so I don't have to see your rude comments on other peoples threads...you always take the time to be rude to others with a 1 sentence insult. Troll.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

That was a great example of being rude. Thanks.

Reactions: yiwen615

jimbosi

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
Good job finding that. I think some of my initial comments still stand, but others had the assumption of Samsung becoming frustrated at Verizon for its silence. That said, I think we're -all- frustrated at this point. Good times.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jan