Galaxy nexus released on November 18th?

Status
Not open for further replies.

njennings

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Re: Galaxy nexus released on the 18th

That's the point. 2 stores a mere 5 miles apart, 2 different answers. The guessing game continues. That's why these forums are filled to the brim with those of us anxiously awaiting following 10 threads saying the exact same thing. Kills time if nothing else.

ManBearPig618

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site

It's very difficult to believe that any VZW store in the U.S. would have a release date and no one here would know about it.

I would love to be proven wrong, but these "my rep/my store said this" aren't very credible. I'm sure if you went to ever every VZW store in the US and asked about the iPhone 5 some uninformed rep would tell you it's on the way.

Yeah...the vast majority of VZW retail employees don't follow releases nearly as closely as we do. If there was a concrete date that Verizon employees knew about, we'd know.

ohiomoto

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site

Don't worry, trolls don't scare me..."What do you mean, an African or a European swallow?"

And yes, I actually talked, in person, to a real life rep at a real life Verizon store. The other employees didn't even flinch when he asked about the GN either. I half expected them to be mad at him or tell him they didn't have any info on it yet. Fingers crossed!
I hope you didn't think I was trolling on your post. I was actually doing the opposite. You actually talked to the reps. Most people read something on twitter or in a blog and get all worked up about it.

nothinbutnexus

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site

I called a local VZW store today and asked about the Galaxy Nexus, the response i got was "Is that a Verizon phone?".

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site

Just sent a message to a friend who is the store manager of my local Verizon store and he hasn't heard of any dates yet. Let's keep our fingers crossed and pray :p

CynicX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site

Let me add another rumor.

I have a buddy that does government sales for Verizon in DC. A few weeks ago I asked him about the GN and he had no clue what I was talking about. Sunday night I ran into him at a local bar and we were bsing and I mentioned the GN again. But this time he told me we should know something by Friday. When I asked if that was the release or announcement he said he didn't know but that's what he was instructed to tell his government clients since a lot are techie guys that want it and have very large contracts with Verizon.

Now I know this guy isn't a liar but I'm really not going to get all excited about it either. When push comes to shove he is still just a customer rep but with a different customer base.

Please don't take this rumor as fact.

memphisboy

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site

The Infamous predicts this week on twitter>> @black_man_x: Wondering how many people remember me telling you about the new google music updates launching same time as nexus? #pandanation knows first

Reactions: droid1294

sarby25

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site

I hope you didn't think I was trolling on your post. I was actually doing the opposite. You actually talked to the reps. Most people read something on twitter or in a blog and get all worked up about it.

Nope, I believe the trolls they were referring to were future trolls who might call me a liar or whatever. No offense taken here. Besides, who knows if the guys at the store were telling me the truth or not. I was just relaying what I was told.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site

It is funny how people run to verizon reps expecting them to know anything. Reps and managers are about the last to know anything.

Lazerz

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site

It is funny how people run to verizon reps expecting them to know anything. Reps and managers are about the last to know anything.

Exactly. I was talking with a VZW rep about a month ago, checking out phones in a corporate store. I saw the Charge and liked the screen. I then looked at the Bionic and hated it straight away. The rep came up to me and I asked him about this Nexus Prime from Google I heard about, and he had no idea way back then about it. (this was around the time of the ICS event, too). He then told me that he is up for an upgrade himself tomorrow and will be getting the Bionic. Ug.

I then showed him how to use the iPhone 4S. He had no idea what Siri was...:confused:

pwninobrlan

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site

The Infamous predicts this week on twitter>> @black_man_x: Wondering how many people remember me telling you about the new google music updates launching same time as nexus? #pandanation knows first

What are the google music updates he is referring to?

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site

I probably shouldn't answer cuz I'm not certain on it. However, I believe they revamped the app. for the forthcoming release of ICS.

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site

Yeah, if they're going for thole whole dev angle, maybe we won't see any for awhile. I just hope we know a date by the week's end. Obviously I'd prefer a 17th-18th launch, but if that can't happen, at least throw us a date.
The informed techies see it for what it is. I don't think Verizon will/would treat the SGN like a dev. phone. It's certainly not in their best interest. They might do some dumb stuff, but they ain't that dumb.

Kmcferrin

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site

Enough rumors, Verizon why won't you just release an official date already? Seriously how hard that?

Because if everyone buying the RAZR knew that the Nexus with ICS was just another week or two away, they wouldn't be selling as many RAZRs. That not only means potentially delayed sales, it also means that they don't get to sell as many RAZR phones with all of the included Verizon crapware. There's a reason they're not calling the Nexus a "Droid" phone. When it does launch, it will be relatively quiet (from Verizon's standpoint).

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site

Verizon is going to be hush about it since it isn't their droid line or isn't loaded with all the bloat. I could see this just showing up one day for pre-order with little to no word from verizon.

Mannysaurus

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site

Because if everyone buying the RAZR knew that the Nexus with ICS was just another week or two away, they wouldn't be selling as many RAZRs. That not only means potentially delayed sales, it also means that they don't get to sell as many RAZR phones with all of the included Verizon crapware. There's a reason they're not calling the Nexus a "Droid" phone. When it does launch, it will be relatively quiet (from Verizon's standpoint).

Consumers couldn't care less when it comes to the operating system because 99% of them don't know that "Froyo" or "Gingerbread" exist. We (geeks) are the 1%. EASILY a phone seller person could say "This is Google's phone but it's meant to be for developers only. Over here we have our new Droid RAZR and it's lucky enough to have Motorola Blur on it, which is meant to enhance your overall performance. It has a ton of cool gizmos that the Galaxy Nexus doesn't feature. Motorola knew this would be a great hit so they named it after their best device". Boom - sold. You don't lie per say but it is stretching the truth. The average person will take their advice and get the RAZR.

jraugh528

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site

Some of the logic that I read in this forum makes no sense to me. People seem to forget that Google and Verizon do not exist to torment us. They're entities whose purpose is to make as much money as possible, plain and simple.

The "Verizon doesn't want to promote this phone because it won't have crapware on it" argument is silly when you think about it. They don't seem to have a problem plastering iPhone posters all over the store even though they can't put crapware on it. No business is going to dedicate resources and shelf space to a product it doesn't intend to sell. They had a choice - it's not like Google could force Verizon to sell the phone. If they didn't want to sell it, they wouldn't carry it in the first place. They passed up the GSII for the GNex because it's the first phone with Android 4.0 and it's got good performance and a gorgeous screen to boot. *That's* the selling point (similar to how the OG Droid was the first phone to debut with 2.0), and I think they're going to promote the heck out of that.

Crapware is small potatoes revenue-wise and annoys customers to no end. Consider that the Razr allows users to uninstall some crapware and hide the ones that cannot be uninstalled. If the crapware was really *that* important to them, would they have allowed this? ICS is going to have very similar functionality built in as well. The real money is in 2 year contracts. In the end, they just want to have a guaranteed revenue stream for 2+ years. If it's a smartphone and you're buying a hefty data package, then hey, that's even better. It doesn't matter all that much to them whether it's the Razr, Rezound, or GNex. They're making money hand over fist over the life of the contract regardless.

Likewise, the argument that Google only considers this a "dev" phone and doesn't care whether or not it's promoted is also frankly silly on its face. Yes, the Nexus is considered a "reference" phone for development, but it was made very clear when the GNex and ICS were announced that Google is working hard on ensuring Android is easy to use for the masses and is as polished as the iPhone. They made a point of launching the phone in the US on the largest carrier with the most advanced LTE network. Why? Because Google makes money through advertising, and they need phone users and eyeballs looking that those phone screens to deliver it. While Google doesn't openly discourage the custom interfaces like Blur, Sense and Touchwiz it's very clear they ultimately want to make them obsolete, so updating phones is easier. When all phones can quickly get Google's latest, best thing, Google makes more money more quickly. You can argue that Google stinks at marketing, but make no mistake that they want this phone in as many hands as possible.

Vanilla Ice

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site

Alright. Sometime today we should see an announcement from VZW for the Galaxy Nexus if it’s to be released this Thursday or Friday. In the past VZW always announces Thursday releases on Wednesdays. But since it may release this Friday it can be Thursday when we see the most amazing announcement from VZW yet!

Status
Not open for further replies.