Are we Nexus/Android fans hypocrites?

nvelez

Oct 23, 2010
Visit site
Honest question. As an Android / Nexus guy I've found myself recently making excuses for things that I complained about or used against others in the past.

1- No SD card - Admittedly the "you're stuck with what you get" has always been used against iPhoners. Now?? Alot of us accept No SD.

2- Non removable battery - Same as above - Now no removable battery is a bit more accepted then before. Razr.

3- Carrier logo on Nexus device - They were accepted on regular Android phones but NOT on a Nexus device. Now?? Ehhhh its OK I guess? Hopefully the GSM cover will fit or I'll just get a case.

4- Carrier apps on phone (Bloatware) - Hated on regular phones but accepted. No way in hell allowed on a Nexus. The whole idea behind a Nexus device is a phone not touched by the carrier. After all, pure vanilla should be pure right?? Now? mmmmmm ehhhhhhhhh...... its only 2 apps???? I'd probably want that app anyway??? I can always hide them with ICS???

I honestly can't stand any of these but am curious about everyone else's opinions on this matter.
Lets try to go with honesty, OK? I know we all "bend" our opinions to make us feel better about our purchases.

Reactions: philly

Mr. Poppalopolis

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
I totally disagree. The lack of SD slot is bad, along with the lack of removable battery. Just because the Razr doesn't have a removable battery doesn't make it any more acceptable, and the same goes for the lack of SD slot on the Nexus. At least it's not one phone that lacks everything.

Also I don't really mind the logo. The Nexus will only have two Verizon apps which aren't the worst VZW apps anyways, plus it can be rooted and the apps can be removed. Android is a huge leap over iOS in my opinion. Only thing iOS has going for it is the user friendliness, which I see as a hindrance, and the smoothness, which ICS seems to have achieved anyways.

kashabrown

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
1 - Don't care. I use the "cloud" and am happy with it. Those cards go bad and then what to do...
2 - I am uncomfortable with a non-removable battery. One of the (many) reasons I wouldn't buy the RAZR.
3 - Could care less.
4 - The two carrier items on the GN are actually (for me) somewhat useful, so it doesn't bother me.

anon(512898)

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
I personally never really cared too much about 1-3, and point 4 is moot (when it comes to applications, not skins) with ics able to deactivate any preinstalled apps

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Items (3) and (4) don't really bother me personally. Items (1) and (2) do. I wouldn't buy a device with a non-removable battery. So, I haven't been hypocritical in that respect. I will say that I've wavered on not having an SD slot. But, I think this is mainly because of the added prevalence of the various cloud services. My total dislike for this started when the iPhones and iPods were first introduced and we didn't have Dropbox, Google Music, Amazon Cloud, etc. at that time. Now we do. So, the importance of having that removable media has become much less so for me.

Adrynalyne

Account Deactivated
Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
Well, folks can call themselves what they will, but I have never downed the iPhone for any of the listed. It was the closed OS that I trashed it for. When Android turns to that...then I become a hypocrite.

EggoEspada

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Well, I never cared for an SD card slot if the internal memory was at least 16GB and I wouldnt care for a removable battery if the phone were to get me through a whole day without worries. But the carrier apps bother me -- not as much in this case because it can be disabled and I use MyVerizon anyway. What really bothers me though, is the carrier banding. It's ugly and it shouldn't be there. It's not Verizon's device, it's Google/Samsung's device running on their network. Hopefully the international verison's back cover fits on the LTE one, because I will be replacing it.

VideoEngineerAJS

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
1. I barely use even 3GB of the 32GB card in my Thunderbolt.
2. While I don't carry extra batteries around and I don't get the extended battery, non-removable is still a bad idea.
3. I don't care about the Verizon logo and I've never complained about it once on any other phone.
4. I don't consider My Verizon and Backup Assistant to be bloat. The only type of bloat I really can't stand is stuff like BlockBuster that runs in the background.

Reactions: Premium1

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
I like Verizon's logo...besides its on the back so not so bad. Look at the moto logo on the razr, now thats gay.

gnipeh

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Not sure where you heard those complaints, and not sure whether people making complaints are the same people accept those. All in all, three out of four are not "Android".

I can tell you why I like Android more than iOS
1. People get to see the source code. It is helpful to Android experts to develop custom OS/ROM, and newbie like me to develop Android apps
2. User who root Android don't lose their "sandbox" (each app is given its own permission) whereas jailbroken iOS is an 8-year-old trapped by MJ and Sandusky
3. Even without rooting, I can install whatever app I want, on or off market / app store
4. Did I mention Android has been stay ahead of the curve in features as well? (notification, data control, face unlock, NFC, and arguably memory/task control)

Bottom line, with Android, you KNOW the possibility is endless, whereas iOS, you are either heavily controlled by a big brother, or becomes the aforementioned 8-year-old.

However, I am not denying the vast existence of many tech wannabes, who don't mind to be told what to do by control freaks.

kashabrown

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
I like Verizon's logo...besides its on the back so not so bad. Look at the moto logo on the razr, now thats gay.

too funny. PLEASE release the damn phone already - tired of looking at that stupid ad everytime I open an Android Central Page - it's like it's mocking me!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Mooem

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
1-"No SD card" - This was never a big deal for me. I never store much on the phone anyways and I rarely ever filled up the 16 GB, let alone 32, that comes standard now-a-days. This is personal preference and others may feel different. For me at least, this is less of a problem with cloud services.

2-"Non removable battery" - I know you mentioned this as a point of the Razr but um, this is the Nexus forum. This does not apply here. That being said, I hope the Nexus phones never ever move to non-removable batteries.

3-"Carrier logo on Nexus device" - The logo is presented on the back of the device. It doesn't get in the way of anything and it's absent from the front...which incidently is part of the phone I'll be mostly looking at.

4-"Carrier apps on phone (Bloatware)" - I think people are making this into a bigger problem than it really is. At least on the Nexus, there are just two known carrier apps. Easily removable with root, and now natively disabled with ICS. The point is you're not stuck with them. It's just one extra step.

Overall, it's a basis of preference. Android users are certainly an opinionated bunch but to go as far as call them hypocrites...some maybe but not all.

hyperdude

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Well, I never cared for an SD card slot if the internal memory was at least 16GB and I wouldnt care for a removable battery if the phone were to get me through a whole day without worries. But the carrier apps bother me -- not as much in this case because it can be disabled and I use MyVerizon anyway. What really bothers me though, is the carrier banding. It's ugly and it shouldn't be there. It's not Verizon's device, it's Google/Samsung's device running on their network. Hopefully the international verison's back cover fits on the LTE one, because I will be replacing it.
You do realize that the CDMA/LTE model is a different phone than the global GSM one? And one which at the moment looks like it's being made exclusively for Verizon? So in that respect it actually IS Verizon's device in a sense.
It's like saying "The RAZR isn't Verizon's device, it's Motorola's device running on their network."

Imagine how this forum would be exploding if Verizon had the audacity to want their branding to go on the front of the Nexus. With it on the back, when are you personally going to see it? When you have it flipped over (for one reason or another) or if you're pulling off the battery cover, that's about it. And other people will see it if you aren't holding it with your fingers across the back. I'm honestly fine with the branding being on the back, since I'll probably have some sort of case anyhow.

experiment 626

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Had the Nexus been designed with a non-removable battery like the RAZR has I would have passed on it,inspite of all it's other advantages.

sushiglobster

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site
I actually see everything as progressing and evolving.

No removable SD card? Fine. Clouds are becoming bigger and bigger. Plus it already has a built in 16/32GB of storage. That also makes for improved read/write speeds. With LTE also you can stream and access your data faster when using a cloud for your media. I actually think of having an SD slot as going backwards. Floppy Disk Drive anyone?

Non-Removable battery? You want a thin device, you make it non-removable. RAZR and iPhone are such examples. I'm sure soon we will have thinner batteries and thinner designs that will allow for removable batteries. It takes time. Or maybe battery life will really just improve that much that one day we won't need removable batteries.

Logos? Buy a case. Sharpie it in. Don't think you can avoid a company from who you are buying it from, labeling your device. At least it is not on the front of the device. I couldn't be happier with how the logo is being handled on the GN.

Yes, it does suck to see carrier software on a Nexus device. I'm not sure I'd consider what we see on the Verizon version as bloatware. They are more so utilities. Luckily for us, we can root/unlock and remove such software. Be thankful you have that option unlike other phones.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
The Verizon logo & a few bloat apps are the only thing I had a issue with. I accept it because, I really want the phone and, will not let those two minor things bother me.

I'm a little different because, while I love Android; I'm not as diehard as some of you. The Nexus brand is what I love the most overall. I don't hate IOS or the iphone. I've never had a issue with the non-removable battery or storage because, because both have proved to be not needed, in my case.

The only thing that woud make me leery of the Razr is because, LTE sucks so much juice but, I'm not getting a Razr so, it doesn't matter.

The VZW Nexus will have 32GB of storage and, that's plenty for me. I actually like onboard storage better because, it seems to run faster & smoother. Just give me enough of it.

kca2000

May 10, 2011
Visit site
1. I was concerned until Google Music went free out of Beta yesterday. Now that i can permanently move my songs to the cloud and keep a gig or 2 local for emergencies. That will open up about 16 gig for me from my old setup so ill be fine.

2. The battery is removable. I dont get the reasoning? I prefer to have it like this, If you prefer a sealed battery your one of few.

3. Like you said, just get a GSM cover or a case. I personally dont care. Never had anyone say "I liked the phone till i saw the verizon logo"

4. 2 apps? This is seriously a problem? 1 is my verizon which i use already to access my bill from the phone. The other is backup assistant. Ill turn that off. I wouldnt put these in the same category as lets say VZ nav, but they are extras.

If all this above bothers you that much then maybe you should switch carriers/phones? If all these little issues concern you, you might have some serious ones when you actually get the phone in your hands.