LTE Verison GSM Capable?

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Yea, it sucks that its not. I was really really hoping it'd be a world phone. The thought of having to go back to my BB again for trips to Europe is downright painful. Although Verizon's international data plans are abysmal compared to ATT.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
See here: Verizon’s Galaxy Nexus hits the FCC, boasts 4G LTE |

No, but you can use it in other CDMA enabled countries, like China (not sure why Europe is treated like the rest of the world here, so if it doesn't work in Europe, it is not a "world" phone)

Well, Europe seems to be the place I go the most, hence me wanting it to be a "world" phone that could work anywhere in the world - China, Lichtenstein or Antarctica. And it doesn't fit the bill for that.

Edit: not that that will likely stop me from getting it.

ShiZero

May 28, 2011
alliszero.deviantart.com
See here: Verizon’s Galaxy Nexus hits the FCC, boasts 4G LTE |

No, but you can use it in other CDMA enabled countries, like China (not sure why Europe is treated like the rest of the world here, so if it doesn't work in Europe, it is not a "world" phone)

I think what qualifies as a world phone is a device you can take pretty much anywhere, pop a local prepaid SIM card, and not have to pay $20/Megabyte in roaming charges in case you get lost and need to find something online for three seconds.

Reactions: Snareman

jdbower

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
Remember, it will work just fine on WiFi. My Droid X in Taiwan worked just fine with a little prep work (like Maverick as an offline map, an offline Chinese dictionary, etc.). A throwaway phone for calls works, but also remember you'll be on a weird timezone - communicating via Google Voice is much more convenient than being woken up in the middle of the night ;)

Since VZW did away with their International Email plan (unlimited International data for some obscenely low price) I don't care as much about World Phones. That said, my D2G work line will be hanging around for a while.

Sports1131

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Is the sim card in the Nexus removable? I spend a fair amount of time in Canada and would be love to swap it out with a Bell LTE sim card as they also have CDMA/LTE. There's no way I'm paying $2 per MB so I'm forced to disable data roaming. I've never really heard of that kind of thing being done with a CDMA phone though.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Yes nexi card swappable but doubt it will not work up norf. It needs to fall back to vzw 3g when there's a signal lose or hiccup

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I don't want it for calling. I want it for data when I travel. But yes, as was mentioned, Verizon got rid of their very affordable data plan and replaced it with a 200mb for $100 plan. Its horrible. ATT's plans go up to 800mb and are very affordable in comparison.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
But even with out calling it still needs to be able fall back to 3g/1x when lte fluctuates. I guess if there's a radio setting for lte only u might b OK.
I don't want it for calling. I want it for data when I travel. But yes, as was mentioned, Verizon got rid of their very affordable data plan and replaced it with a 200mb for $100 plan. Its horrible. ATT's plans go up to 800mb and are very affordable in comparison.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
But even with out calling it still needs to be able fall back to 3g/1x when lte fluctuates. I guess if there's a radio setting for lte only u might b OK.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

It just needs both a CDMA and GSM antenna in it like my BB has.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz