Verizon is changing the game

altimax98

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
So after reading all this crap about verizon and the Gnex launch, I have a few things to say, and alot of what i have to say is based after reading Pandas post on G+....

1: This launch has turned everyone against eachother. Everyone is mad at the other because they feel weve been misled by sites like phandroid, droid life, verge and so on. But those sites are just posting what they are hearing from sources. The sources are reliable and they trust them, and i put money that these sources were correct. Verizon keeps changing the game and delaying the launch. Is it due to the Backup Ass App or due to verizon LTE.. i personally think its the bloatware and verizon is watching the sales of the Razr/Rezound (i bet a major push is going on blackfriday weekend) and then they will release it.

2: Google made the bed they lay in - im sorry but some of the blame lies with google. Android is huge and growing, Google had the power to demand stuff on the release. Google had the power to set a release date and no carrier branding/bloatware. But they were lured by the largest carrier in the US and they wanted it so badly they made a horrible deal. It all boils down to the fact that if you make a deal with the devil, the devil is going to do what they want to meet its own ends.

3: Bloatware........ bootloader locked? - im putting on my flameproof suit now but think about a few things here. Nexus by design is open. Nexus by design is unbloated. VZW Nexus is bloated... could the Nexus be locked... could the Nexus be just another phone for verizon that they control? Could the Nexus be locked, much like the Razr is? Remember Razr is fastboot unlocked around the globe but NOT on verizon... did google make a deal that they were so quickly to enter they didnt ensure they retained the rights to the most basic nexus traits? Its already been proven by bloat and branding.

4: Release date TBD? - again on that subject above did Google lock into a deal where Verizon was the sole determining factor for a launch date, could there be no firm lock date set by the contract they have? I posted this in another thread a week or so ago and got the hell flamed out of me by one 'expert who has the device', well if you feel the need to 'call me out about being in the board room discussions' gtfo. Heres my speculation... Google set the 10th for the Global launch of the Nexus and they were going to release the Source on 11/18 or thereabouts. Before Nov 10th or so something happened at Verizon. I believe that they had issues with slow pre-sales and they found it in the contract that they had the rights to release when they felt it was 'ready'. They decided to delay it until the 18th. A delay was announced for the global release to allow Verizon to launch first. The week of the 14th the Rezound didnt sell fast. They called another delay. Google got mad. They changed the launch back to the 18th for a UK launch and announced the Source on The Verge. (Which they previously announced to be after the phone). They had to go ahead with the plans to launch ICS they couldnt wait any longer. Google got ***ked.

This is all theory and speculation, so take it for what it is... a grain of salt to irritate our wounds.

robrecht

Pretty good member
Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Sad to say, but Google needs/wants Verizon more than Verizon needs/wants Nexus so in every practical sense Google didn't really have the power that everyone here would like them to exercise.

Thanks, Robrecht

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
Wait... what was the point of this?

This is a public forum and the OP wanted to make a post. He is allowed to make a new thread and talk about whatever is on his mind, staying on topic of course.

You have a problem with putting down people's posts in the forum. You need to stop doing that because 95% of all of your posts are negative and bring down morale. I know I do not appreciate it and I doubt I am alone.

To the OP: I agree with many of your points. I doubt the bootloader is locked, though. The situation isn't THAT bad! But, as I've been saying since early November, Google needs to grow a pair.

tntdroid

Droiderator
Feb 19, 2010
www.flickr.com
I think Verizon needs Google. Without them they wouldn't have the number one operating system for phones. Android sold more phones than anyone so that has to have some pull.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Reactions: Premium1

jpprice

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
I think Verizon needs Google or Android, but they don't need the Nexus as they see it. I'm not even sure VZW is really even enthusiastic about having the Nexus on their network, and had it not been for the fact that vzw was the only LTE option at the time, they would have. They figure they have tons of other Android phones from OEM's to fall back on.

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Sad to say, but Google needs/wants Verizon more than Verizon needs/wants Nexus so in every practical sense Google didn't really have the power that everyone here would like them to exercise.

Thanks, Robrecht

I actually think that Google had more power than they realized, and I think that, in this case, Verizon needed Google more. Google didn't need Verizon to release the Nexus. Would they be able to reach more customers by doing so? Possibly. They are planning to release on other carriers and would still reach those customers though. And the Nexus has never been a big seller anyway. So, in that sense, how many more people would they be able to reach by going with Verizon anyway? Further, from what we're hearing regarding bloat, etc., the release fiasco that we're enduring, the lack of advertisement and push from Verizon, the Nexus will probably not even be a big seller on Verizon. So, the biggest advantage for releasing on Verizon doesnt seem to be much of an advantage after all.

robrecht

Pretty good member
Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I think Verizon needs Google. Without them they wouldn't have the number one operating system for phones. Android sold more phones than anyone so that has to have some pull.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
Verizon needs Android phones, but they get these from the OEMs, who also need Android. But Google just doesn't have as much leverage as Verizon when it comes to a Nexus phone.

Thanks, Robrecht

FishPharm

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
I think Verizon is smarter than we are letting on. My new theory is that they bidded for the galaxy nexus and wanted exclusivity for the purpose of holding it back from the market until they sold as many bloat ridden Razr's or Rezounds. I think they knew if another carrier got hold of it they may lose a lot of customers or potential customers.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Verizon needs Android phones, but they get these from the OEMs, who also need Android. But Google just doesn't have as much leverage as Verizon when it comes to a Nexus phone.

Thanks, Robrecht

But google could say to verizon no you can't sell android devices since you screwed the nexus up. Then what would verizon do? Not everyone wants an iphone or a crapberry.

Jaymil

Neutronbomb
Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I love how every says the Verizon hasn't had a phone with an unlocked bootloader since the OG droid.. but they don't realize that you can take your Droid Charge right out of the box and use Odin to flash a custom recovery/rom.

Reactions: knights665

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I think Verizon is smarter than we are letting on. My new theory is that they bidded for the galaxy nexus and wanted exclusivity for the purpose of holding it back from the market until they sold as many bloat ridden Razr's or Rezounds. I think they knew if another carrier got hold of it they may lose a lot of customers or potential customers.

But by delaying it it can lead some to just import an international version and switch to at&t or tmo.

Maikai.Guy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

Not exactly. The phone makers need Google, not the carriers.

Verizon needs the phone makers to give them the good phones, but the phone makers also need Verizon to carry their phones. It's like "assured mutual destruction", so neither is really in the driver's seat. IMHO, any power Google might wield over the phone makers does not reach through to the carriers.

Everyone keeps thinking the Nexus is a Google device. It really isn't. It's a Samsung device. Samsung negotiated with Google to make Google's new Nexus phone. Once that deal was done, then Samsung negotiated with the carriers to see which one will carry Samsung's new Nexus phone.
IMHO, Google has very little say in the matter. It's all Samsung and Verizon.

Impatiently waiting for this darn phone! Feels like the XOOM wait all over again.

robrecht

Pretty good member
Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I actually think that Google had more power than they realized, and I think that, in this case, Verizon needed Google more. Google didn't need Verizon to release the Nexus. Would they be able to reach more customers by doing so? Possibly. They are planning to release on other carriers and would still reach those customers though. And the Nexus has never been a big seller anyway. So, in that sense, how many more people would they be able to reach by going with Verizon anyway? Further, from what we're hearing regarding bloat, etc., the release fiasco that we're enduring, the lack of advertisement and push from Verizon, the Nexus will probably not even be a big seller on Verizon. So, the biggest advantage for releasing on Verizon doesnt seem to be much of an advantage after all.
I think you're underestimating the value of those Verizon Nexus customers. It is all about growing market share, where even small gains are huge and necessary for continual growth in the future. A marketer that misses an opportunity to grow market share, even by a little? It just doesn't happen.

Thanks, Robrecht

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
I think you're underestimating the value of those Verizon Nexus customers. It is all about growing market share, where even small gains are huge and necessary for continual growth in the future. A marketer that misses an opportunity to grow market share, even by a little? It just doesn't happen.

Thanks, Robrecht

I may be underestimating because I really don't think it's going to be that great. But growing market share has to be weighed against cost. And I think after you do that, it may just not be worth it in the end. We'll just have to see how this plays out.

robrecht

Pretty good member
Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
But google could say to verizon no you can't sell android devices since you screwed the nexus up. Then what would verizon do? Not everyone wants an iphone or a crapberry.
But that would be a very stupid thing for Google to do. They would be shooting themselves in the foot, not to mention the primary role that the OEMs play WRT licensing Android.

Thanks, Robrecht

bplewis24

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
3: Bloatware........ bootloader locked? - im putting on my flameproof suit now but think about a few things here. Nexus by design is open. Nexus by design is unbloated. VZW Nexus is bloated... could the Nexus be locked... could the Nexus be just another phone for verizon that they control? Could the Nexus be locked, much like the Razr is? Remember Razr is fastboot unlocked around the globe but NOT on verizon... did google make a deal that they were so quickly to enter they didnt ensure they retained the rights to the most basic nexus traits? Its already been proven by bloat and branding.

I feel like I've been watching Fox News for the last five minutes. Somehow you asked a series of questions with no basis to support it, and made it sound as if it's going to happen.

Brandon

robrecht

Pretty good member
Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I may be underestimating because I really don't think it's going to be that great. But growing market share has to be weighed against cost. And I think after you do that, it may just not be worth it in the end. We'll just have to see how this plays out.
But what's the real cost to Google? Just that they compromise a little bit on the Nexus philosophy on one carrier, which just happens to be the best and largest carrier. That's a compromise that they needed to make to get what they wanted more.

Thanks, Robrecht

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781