nPossible dumb tech questio: No USB Mass storage + PDANet?

Drosul

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Might be showing my lack of technical understanding with regard to how the software works, and if I'm wrong, I'll happily delete the thread (or have a kind mod do it for me)

but yet another rumor-leak-source on Droidlife todayhttp://www.droid-life.com/2011/11/19/galaxy-nexus-roundup-only-16gb-version-in-the-u-s-no-flash-support-vodafone-still-testing-and-no-usb-mass-storage/

mentions a reddit post
Whoa, whoa. ICS doesn't support USB mass storage? : Android

The source here talks about how the GNex can't and won't have USB Mass Storage capability, and instead uses "MTP" to handle roughly the same function, on most computer OS. My concern, is about PDANet and tethering in general on the Gnex, since I was under the impression that PDANet specifically required UMS to properly function..... basically meaning that the Gnex wouldn't be able to utilize the free tether programs.

So can anyone who actually knows the technical side of this potential issue comment?

Small_law

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm actually wondering if wireless tethering will be available sans an additional fee, like Nexus phones have had in the past.

TerryMasters

May 1, 2010
Visit site
I'm largely concerned about this as well. In the event my FIOS goes down again, I need something to use as a backup. My current phone can do PDAnet fine, but if the Nexus can't...

Man. A lot of disappointment going around as time moves on with this thing.

Dovahkiin

One Man Wolfpack
Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
I think OP is correct.
On my OG Droid, PDAnet won't work unless I drag down the notification bar and enable the phone to connect as USB Mass Storage.
I didn't consider this point before, but now I'm worried. There's no way I'm gonna pay Verizon twice just to use my data that I pay for in the first place.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I think OP is correct.
On my OG Droid, PDAnet won't work unless I drag down the notification bar and enable the phone to connect as USB Mass Storage.
I didn't consider this point before, but now I'm worried. There's no way I'm gonna pay Verizon twice just to use my data that I pay for in the first place.

Has worked for me on an HTC Hero, Samsung Epic 4G and an HTC Thunderbolt without mounting the SD card. Do you leave debugging on?