Horrible thought: Verizon Bloatware

soccerfon711

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Wait just a minute, you are interested in a developer phone but not rooting? If you don't root it ill come find you and root it for you without you knowing :p

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

I will also not be rooting my nexus. I'm getting it for the stock Android; I miss my G1 days.

Everyone knows that it is possible to like the idea of the nexus phone without actively involving in the root process, right?

CynicX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
There is something else I just thought of. On my Motorola Xoom, I only have one Verizon app running (MyVerizon) and, it's the only one that crashes. It works fine when I use it but, it occasional force closes, when I'm not using it.

If it wasn't so useful, I would have uninstalled it already but, it's just an occasional annoyance. I wonder if this is the issue since stock Honeycomb - which is on my Xoom - and ICS are similar.

But thats not bloat, if it was preinstalled, uninstallable and crashes that's upsetting. Only thing Verizon on my xoom is the logo on the upper right bezel...

I'm not a huge fan of rooting anymore with vanilla honeycomb and I'll probably feel the same for ICS. Only time I root is to get rid of the bloat, and with minimal bloat I don't have a need. Running a custom rom to overclock for smoother PlayStation emulator play was fun but got old quick....back to stock....

theduder

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I am a Nexus S 4G owner and I have never felt the need to root. I don't plan to root my Galaxy Nexus either. I used to spend lots of time and energy on my last phone, tweaking and messing with it. I don't miss it.

anon(529237)

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
I have no intent to root my Galaxy Nexus.. I want to have the Google support for timely updates.. This is a major selling point for me. I have rooted my og droid, and have installed many different things from Cyanogen to petes to the elite project. All of these initially made the device run wondefully, until they setteled in after a week or two and became what i consider unstable.. I went back to rooted stock everytime with my 1 gig sv kernel. Again all of that was done to make the device more enjoyable and smoother. I want to not think about making this device better, i just want it to be better on its own.

Kmcferrin

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
A couple of questions:
  1. Is it possible the bloatware will be so intertwined that it's not possible to uninstall it?
  2. Can ANY application be completely cleaned off of Android? My background is from Windoze and there it's nearly impossible to get rid of an application. Between the DLLs and registry...

The problem is, 99% of the time the person getting rid of the application just clicks the "Uninstall" routine, and the developer who wrote the application did a piss-poor job of writing the uninstaller, so it leaves a bunch of garbage behind. Or the application is from a dubious source (many "free" apps you get online) that doesn't want to be uninstalled.

It's easy to completely get rid of an application on Windows, so long as you know what you're doing. Just like it's easy to root and a phone and uninstall all of the bloatware, so long as you know what you're doing. Notice the trend?

anon(529237)

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
The problem is, 99% of the time the person getting rid of the application just clicks the "Uninstall" routine, and the developer who wrote the application did a piss-poor job of writing the uninstaller, so it leaves a bunch of garbage behind. Or the application is from a dubious source (many "free" apps you get online) that doesn't want to be uninstalled.

It's easy to completely get rid of an application on Windows, so long as you know what you're doing. Just like it's easy to root and a phone and uninstall all of the bloatware, so long as you know what you're doing. Notice the trend?

Problem is the majority of the public have no idea how to properly use a pc to begin with... They use their programs not the computer itself.This trend is moving over to Macs now as well.. They can just as easily make a macbook pro run like garbage just as easily as a generic dell desktop from what i have been seeing in the field lately.

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Just a thought that may explain the delay of the Galaxy Nexus to the Verizon line up.

Maybe VZN is busy adapting / installing their bloatware :mad: Wouldn't that be a b!tch! It would make me consider other phones or wait for other carriers to offer the Nexus...

F

According to 1 source here the fact that there are 2 Verizon apps baked into the ROM, negates the whole purpose of getting Nexus. Historically Nexus phones are supposed to be free of 3rd party apps. Now we have to wait to get future updates until Verizon tests compatibility with the OS.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Just a thought that may explain the delay of the Galaxy Nexus to the Verizon line up.

Maybe VZN is busy adapting / installing their bloatware :mad: Wouldn't that be a b!tch! It would make me consider other phones or wait for other carriers to offer the Nexus...

F

I'm not going to worry about it at this point. Nobody knows that the above is going to happen. Plus with ICS we can take care of bloat too.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
But thats not bloat, if it was preinstalled, uninstallable and crashes that's upsetting. Only thing Verizon on my xoom is the logo on the upper right bezel...

I'm not a huge fan of rooting anymore with vanilla honeycomb and I'll probably feel the same for ICS. Only time I root is to get rid of the bloat, and with minimal bloat I don't have a need. Running a custom rom to overclock for smoother PlayStation emulator play was fun but got old quick....back to stock....

Yeah, after thinking about it ,I don't think I will root my Xoom if it's going to get ICS.

Deltaechoe

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
After reading this thread, I'm seeing a lot of what looks like people thinking that "Rooting == needs a custom rom" which is wrong. Rooting only gives you elevated privileges on the system, you don't need to install a custom rom, kernel, recovery (although I do recommend the recovery as even regular updates can fail sometimes) or w/e. The fact is you can keep the stock android and just delete the bloat apps and it "shouldn't" affect your ability to get updates from google.

thedeceiver

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I don't really care about the bloat, but rather what it means to OTA updates. Will OTA updates come directly from Google (like it should for a Nexus phone)? Or will OTA updates come from big red (requiring literally months each release to test crappy bloatware)? I fear the addition of bloatware will mean that OTA updates come from big red, which will negate one of the BIGGEST advantages for getting a Nexus imo.

-me

This is exactly my fear and exactly why I'm now on the fence about the Nexus. Yes, it's nice hardware, and yes it has ICS, but if it's going to have slow updates thanks to Verizon's intervention, I may just go with the Rezound.

Is the Nexus Model, dead?

Deltaechoe

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
This is exactly my fear and exactly why I'm now on the fence about the Nexus. Yes, it's nice hardware, and yes it has ICS, but if it's going to have slow updates thanks to Verizon's intervention, I may just go with the Rezound.

The rezound is disappointing, it's basically the Thunderbolt with a faster processor and a decent screen. I am taking mine back after 24 hours

rooktdphi

Feb 19, 2010
Visit site

keep in mind that with the skinned devices (RAZR/Rezound/etc) that the OEM and Verizon have to ok an update before it gets pushed through to the user. So even if VZW is pushing it out, it's still one less step.

Let's everyone take a breath and relax

Small_law

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
We just have to wait and see what they do. My worry is that they may go all the way with bloatware and turn it into something like the Thunderbolt where I'm looking at a bunch of crap I can't uninstall without rooting. ICS does let you freeze and hide bloatware, but i want nothing on this phone other than what Google puts there. I don't think Verizon will fill it with bloat, but i wouldn't put it past them. Check out the Galaxy Nexus "how to" videos on YouTube. It looks like it's going to have the Backup Assistant and My Verizon apps.

Wiggy0211

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
I look at it this way... if I get something other than GNex I HAVE to root and w/ Nexus I may or may not. Right? I don''t think this gets posted enough but the Verizon bloat absolutely KILLS your battery. My Eris literally doubled it's battery life once I rooted and got rid of that junk.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site

I played with a rezound today and it was hard not to get it. It seems like an amazing phone and nothing like the bug plagued tb. I am going to hold out and see the nexus but if updates do indeed take a detour through verizon I may just go with the rezound.

CynicX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Don't get too upset guys. Keep in mind they can't bloat up the nexus. Its a dev phone and its purpose is to have pure android to design apps for without conflicts from bloat and manufacture ui's....

It will only hurt Verizon, Google and android in general to load it with bloat. Verizon released the Xoom on their network and its bloat free except 2 games that came with it. There is nothing Verizon on it except the logo on the bezel and a radio in it to support their awesome network....

mechapathy

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
About direct OTA updates from Google, we won't know if that'll happen until we see one of two things:
1. The AOSP tree gets a toro branch, confirming support for our Nexus, or
2. The phone releases, and we don't see a toro branch, confirming Verizon-handled updates.

We'll have to wait and see, I guess.

SoulWeaponry

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
If it was vcast or some trials of video games, i'd be pissed. An app that helps you pay your bill/track data usage and another one that backs up your stuff? Mehhhh...I wish my rezound had that kind of "bloat"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
axool