Horrible thought: Verizon Bloatware

garberfc

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
Just a thought that may explain the delay of the Galaxy Nexus to the Verizon line up.

Maybe VZN is busy adapting / installing their bloatware :mad: Wouldn't that be a b!tch! It would make me consider other phones or wait for other carriers to offer the Nexus...

F

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
Yes but any other phone on any carrier will have more bloat.

Nexus will have the least of all.

Sent from my SCH-I510

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
Far be it from me to be the voice of reason, but you do realize that with root access, anything and I do mean anything is "uninstallable". You can uninstall the dialer if you so chose(which is a really good option on an old phone you're turning into a media consumption device). Anything Verizon decides to drop on here can be un-done. If you'd like to go so far as to say you don't want to root your device, then I say, Why buy a Nexus?

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
What have u been living under rock? This subject as all ready beaten to death. There is backup assistant and my data. Nothing castrophe do go back to coffee

Reactions: Premium1

garberfc

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
Far be it from me to be the voice of reason, but you do realize that with root access, anything and I do mean anything is "uninstallable". You can uninstall the dialer if you so chose(which is a really good option on an old phone you're turning into a media consumption device). Anything Verizon decides to drop on here can be un-done. If you'd like to go so far as to say you don't want to root your device, then I say, Why buy a Nexus?
A couple of questions:
  1. Is it possible the bloatware will be so intertwined that it's not possible to uninstall it?
  2. Can ANY application be completely cleaned off of Android? My background is from Windoze and there it's nearly impossible to get rid of an application. Between the DLLs and registry...

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site

I know a lot of you enjoy rooting your phones - and that's cool - but, that's not what's always on everyone's mind when getting a Nexus phone. I've have a lot of reasons I like the phone exactly the way it is and, have never rooted any of my Nexus phones.

Having said that, I may root the phone this time.

mysterx

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
I don't really care about the bloat, but rather what it means to OTA updates. Will OTA updates come directly from Google (like it should for a Nexus phone)? Or will OTA updates come from big red (requiring literally months each release to test crappy bloatware)? I fear the addition of bloatware will mean that OTA updates come from big red, which will negate one of the BIGGEST advantages for getting a Nexus imo.

-me

Last edited:

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
A couple of questions:
  1. Is it possible the bloatware will be so intertwined that it's not possible to uninstall it?
  2. Can ANY application be completely cleaned off of Android? My background is from Windoze and there it's nearly impossible to get rid of an application. Between the DLLs and registry...

Each app is self contained in a package file(APK) Any, and I do mean ANY app can be removed once you have superuser(root) privileges to the OS. There is no bloat that can't be undone and the Nexus class phone was meant as a developer device meaning that it would run the latest and greatest stock Android. Developers would also have the tools to gain superuser access to the phone without the use of a rootkit unlike the more locked down phones on the market.

The above is also my answer to qnet. Try to keep in mind that the Nexus phones were meant to allow it's users root level control and that on this series of phones, it's not an exploit....it's a feature.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
There is something else I just thought of. On my Motorola Xoom, I only have one Verizon app running (MyVerizon) and, it's the only one that crashes. It works fine when I use it but, it occasional force closes, when I'm not using it.

If it wasn't so useful, I would have uninstalled it already but, it's just an occasional annoyance. I wonder if this is the issue since stock Honeycomb - which is on my Xoom - and ICS are similar.

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
There is something else I just thought of. On my Motorola Xoom, I only have one Verizon app running (MyVerizon) and, it's the only one that crashes. It works fine when I use it but, it occasional force closes, when I'm not using it.

If it wasn't so useful, I would have uninstalled it already but, it's just an occasional annoyance. I wonder if this is the issue since stock Honeycomb - which is on my Xoom - and ICS are similar.

The My Verizon app crashes on everything I've ever tried to use it on. OG Droid, Fascinate, and Droid X.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
The My Verizon app crashes on everything I've ever tried to use it on. OG Droid, Fascinate, and Droid X.

It's only crashed on my Xoom but, that's the only Android device I've had on Verizon - besides my short stint with the Bionic - which didn't crash. Speaking of the Xoom, I think it may be time to root it. :)

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
What have u been living under rock? This subject as all ready beaten to death. There is backup assistant and my data. Nothing castrophe do go back to coffee

I wouldn't jump all over the OP for posting this. There's only one other thread that has bloatware in the title, and you would have to go back several pages in order to find it.
It may be mentioned in other threads, but how would the OP know?
Not unless their on here every day, all day... which most people do not.
There's only a few I've noticed that live and breath on the forums.

Salacon

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Ugh, it perturbs me that anything has made it onto a Nexus device, even though I will admit that I would've installed My Verizon anyway, but I just hope this doesn't affect Google being able to directly update the Verizon version of the phone. That is going to be a huge dealbreaker considering it's one of the main reasons I've been wanting this phone.

Also, just to randomly comment on the My Verizon app: It doesn't do any crashing on my original Droid running stock 2.2.2. Always works perfectly as it should.

Last edited:

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
I know a lot of you enjoy rooting your phones - and that's cool - but, that's not what's always on everyone's mind when getting a Nexus phone. I've have a lot of reasons I like the phone exactly the way it is and, have never rooted any of my Nexus phones.

Having said that, I may root the phone this time.

Wait just a minute, you are interested in a developer phone but not rooting? If you don't root it ill come find you and root it for you without you knowing :p

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

theduder

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Sprint handled it well with the Nexus S 4G. No Sprint apps, but you had the option to install any you wanted.

I am jumping ship to Verizon, and plan to get the Galaxy Nexus. I am not worried since I doubt Verizon would release a crashing phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome