iPhone 4S vs. Gnex Speed Comparison

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
This was an interesting video I stumbled upon just a few moments ago:
iPhone 4S vs Galaxy Nexus: Speed Test - YouTube

In short, the Nexus seems to be milliseconds faster than the already super fast 4S but when they get to the web browsing comparison, the difference is much more pronounced. And this is from an iPhone proponent's video.

I respect them for posting the video regardless of the results.

Giggity.....

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
This was an interesting video I stumbled upon just a few moments ago:
iPhone 4S vs Galaxy Nexus: Speed Test - YouTube

In short, the Nexus seems to be milliseconds faster than the already super fast 4S but when they get to the web browsing comparison, the difference is much more pronounced. And this is from an iPhone proponent's video.

I respect them for posting the video regardless of the results.

Giggity.....

I'm pretty sure we could do the same test with any Gingerbread phone and have the same result with Flash off. Kinda amazing how fast pages load without it, huh?

Jet300

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm pretty sure we could do the same test with any Gingerbread phone and have the same result with Flash off. Kinda amazing how fast pages load without it, huh?

I did this on iPhone 4s launch day with my TBolt at the Apple store by me. I had to go in there with my iPad because it bricked when I tried update to iOS 5 ("it just works" my aching backside)

Anyways while I was waiting for the genuinely helpful Apple tech to reload iOS 5 on the aforementioned enemy tablet I grabbed a shiny new iPhone 4s and ran numerous side by side speed comparisons with the web browser (Dolphin HD vs. Safari) using the stores wifi. Most, but not all of the time the role TBolt was faster to load. Man it was so much fun having people look at the TBolt with such a quizical or even amazed look. Its was really like they never saw another smartphone before. Several asked what my phone was and most were just astonished how puny and small the iPhone screen looked. One guy even left and said he was going to the Verizon store outside the mall to check out some "Droid" action. Lol.

The best part was the two VZW reps in the store were doing activations on a Xoom and both had Androids. One had a Bionic and the other had a Charge. It was pretty funny watching them sign up all these iPhones while working with their Android devices. It was like they had infiltrated enemy territory LOL.

Last edited:

irishleo

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
I have an IPhone 4S right now and am waiting for the US GN. Can you guys tell me if Verizon's 3G is faster then what the UK has. I ask this because I closed out all my running apps and just used 3G. I ran the same test at the (as close) to the exact same time as that video. The web and todaysiphone.com (wich site I have never been to) loaded in half the time that either of the test phones did????

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I have an IPhone 4S right now and am waiting for the US GN. Can you guys tell me if Verizon's 3G is faster then what the UK has. I ask this because I closed out all my running apps and just used 3G. I ran the same test at the (as close) to the exact same time as that video. The web and todaysiphone.com (wich site I have never been to) loaded in half the time that either of the test phones did????

Verizon's 3G is the worst I've ever experienced. If your using the 4S in the UK it's definitely faster.

Evil Hamster

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Verizon's 3G is the worst I've ever experienced. If your using the 4S in the UK it's definitely faster.

I wouldn't say that. I used to tether my VZ blackberry via USB to my laptop, now wireless with my rezound over 3G, and it's faster than my cable internet.

I can't wait for 4G to hit my area, should be amazing speed!

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
The Gnex will be trumped in 3-6 months...trumped, and you are left to choke in the sand. My switch to Apple has been the most fruitful kill of my life. Android, keep on choking on monthly chokes, you will never be satisfied....

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site

He asked because he is using Verizon 3G and it is loading faster then the video using (as far as we know) UK 3G. So in his area you would be 100% wrong in your statement.

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
Wait till somebody compares a GN on Verizon's LTE to a iPhone 4s and see how much faster that web broswer is!

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
The Gnex will be trumped in 3-6 months...trumped, and you are left to choke in the sand. My switch to Apple has been the most fruitful kill of my life. Android, keep on choking on monthly chokes, you will never be satisfied....

I believe the only choking going on in here is your comment. You should pop some Zantac or something.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't say that. I used to tether my VZ blackberry via USB to my laptop, now wireless with my rezound over 3G, and it's faster than my cable internet.

I can't wait for 4G to hit my area, should be amazing speed!

I used to tether my Verizon blackberry the same way you did and, it was very slow. It may not be that slow in your area but, it is in mine. My Iphone is very slow on Verizon's 3G as well as my Ipad. This is all compared to T-mobile and At&t which, I've used also. Both of the latter mentioned GSM carriers were much faster.

He asked because he is using Verizon 3G and it is loading faster then the video using (as far as we know) UK 3G. So in his area you would be 100% wrong in your statement.

I didn't see anything in his post that said he was using Verizon's 3G. He asked specifically if we coud tell him if VZW 3G is faster than what the UK has. If he was using VZW's 3G why would he ask that? He also said he was waiting on the US GN. I'm not sure were he's from but, I'm assuming it's the UK based on his question. Maybe he will clear that up. GSM (which they use in the UK) has been known to have a faster data speed than CDMA (which Verizon uses) and, from my experience this is true. I don't think they even use CDMA in the UK but, I'm not sure.

Wait till somebody compares a GN on Verizon's LTE to a iPhone 4s and see how much faster that web broswer is!

Of course it will be faster, it's LTE. The Iphone 4s doesn't have LTE. Haha! you must be what they call a Android fanboy. I'm a fanboy also but, not as extreme as you seem to be.

Last edited:

CynicX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Never understood this hate....

Firstly its two phones.....not exactly talking genocide here....

Secondly they are both nice phones. Most of us prefer Android here but that doesn't mean we can't appreciate the competition. Without competition we'd never have progress.

The only thing that bugs me is when people say everyone is copying Apple. Steve Jobs was a reinventer (brilliant man) but everything Apple made was a copy, just made better and easier to use. Didn't make the first mp3 player, tablet, smartphone, touch screen, computer mouse, computer, etc etc. Just copied the idea and made them better and popular THEN other manufactures copied a now popular device. And apple fans should be greatful since every update device isn't much better then the last but imagine how bad it would be if there was no competition? The iPhone 1 would still be out, why make something better when its the best? Apple and Android need each other...

Reactions: jephanie

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site

Secondly they are both nice phones. Most of us prefer Android here but that doesn't mean we can't appreciate the competition. Without competition we'd never have progress.

The only thing that bugs me is when people say everyone is copying Apple. Steve Jobs was a reinventer (brilliant man) but everything Apple made was a copy, just made better and easier to use. Didn't make the first mp3 player, tablet, smartphone, touch screen, computer mouse, computer, etc etc. Just copied the idea and made them better and popular THEN other manufactures copied a now popular device. And apple fans should be greatful since every update device isn't much better then the last but imagine how bad it would be if there was no competition? The iPhone 1 would still be out, why make something better when its the best? Apple and Android need each other...

A damn righteous post. I couldn't agree more.

420board

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site

True that...I really like this article it is very interesting:

1960s Braun Products Hold the Secrets to Apple's Future

reflekt2099

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site

well, actually, fact is everyone did copy Apple (in regards to desktop computer, laptops, mp3 players, phones and tablets). Obviously Steve Jobs didn't invent the products themselves, i.e., the phone or the cell phone. Nor did he invent the MP3 player, the laptop, etc etc. What he did do was invent evolutionary and industry shaking ideas. Ideas so evolutionary that they then became the standard and benchmark for which every other company/product thereafter tried to copy. Those ideas were portrayed in the form of his products (ipod, iphone, ipad, etc). When the Ipad was introduced, everyone looked at it with a puzzled look. "why would anyone care about the Ipad...it won't sell, it's just a humongous ipod." but what's happened since then? everyone company on the block has released their own versions of tablets (without much success) after watching the success the iPad has had.

everyone did copy Apple. As in, they are copying their products; Apple products that are deeply infused with ideas created by Steve Jobs.

to make a statement like, "everything Apple made was a copy". ok, and? you're basically saying that Apple copied the first Phone ever invented? so Apple copied Antonio Meucci who was the first to patent the telephone in 1871? that isn't a very significant statement. but you can say with a certainty that the entire industry did copy Apple's iPhone since its release, and the same for Apple's iPod and iPad. without those evolutionary products, we probably wouldn't have a lot of the great (and no so great) products we have today, all of which copied ideas and designs established by the aforementioned apple products.

what i'm most wondering is...what the direction and future of apple will be without the demanding perfectionist that Steve Jobs was. He was the driving force behind taking un-popular ideas and making them the most popular ideas in the world. i don't know...maybe the Apple Television will be the next evolutionary product? i doubt it thought. without Jobs, it'll be tough for Apple to make any earth-shaking moves again.

irishleo

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
Sorry for the confussion guys/gals. I'm in Northern Ohio. I've ran my 4S 3 times against that video and it is much faster on my device. I was hoping that a few others could also check the speed of their phones (what ever they may be) and see if theirs is faster as well. When I watched the video for the first time, I thought immediately how slow they both seemed. Thanks in advance

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463