Less Homescreen options & customizations for Nexus running ICS :(

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I personally think most of the people who say they hate OEM skins do so because someone told them they should.

I agree. When I first got my Galaxy Tab 10.1 it came with stock Honeycomb. It had horrible typing lag in the browser, along with some other bugs. Samsung released a Touchwiz update. People posted that the Touchwiz update would mess things up, and that we should stick to stock. The new update actually made it run better. The browser lag was gone, and a few other perks were added.
I have to make it a point to try a device out myself, and not rely solely on what I read in the forums.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Re: Less Homescreen options & customizations for Nexus running IC

I appreciate you trying to explain it qnet.I don't quite understand the email interval thing. You must be using something other then the Gmail app for email right? Because that's push. And every android phone I've ever had has synced contacts and calender events with my Google account, so I'm not sure what you mean about the other.

I think if a major supplier like HTC listened to their customers and said "we want to give you the best android experience as we can with sense and we work hard to differentiate ourselves from others. But if for any reason there's something you don't like, you can disable a specific app or go back to vanilla completely".

This would be huge. And it only takes one manufacturer to start this as a trend. Imagine booting up your new phone and upon setup being greeted with that message saying something like "we would love it if you tried sense, click here for sense or here for vanilla".

I think only a minority really care, but for those, this would be a great business strategy to get customers

I use Gmail and, my two business email accounts (one for my website form and one for regular email ). The business email is not push but, in the settings you can check the interval to check every 5 minutes for each email account. When I had the Bionic (with a version of Motoblur installed I assume, whatever it was it's not stock) The max interval you could set was 15 minutes.

I don't have a issue with the accounts actually working. The problem with syncing ,actually happened with Gmail. It synced but, not all the time or, would do it a day later or, not until I added the same contact online the to my Gmail account. Most of the time it wouldn't sync at all. Like I said, it may be improved. This happend on the Mytouch 4G.

From my experience with the Nexus S (which I bought after the Mytouch) it seemed to operate & respond much more faster and, of course synced everything flawlessly and quick. It booted up faster also. What I like about my Xoom, it's always the first device to get email and, the Nexus S would be the right after that in seconds.

Another thing I will like with ICS is the Google voice integration with visual voicemail. they showed this on the presentation but, we don't know for sure how it will work because no one has/can demo the Verizon model yet. I'm hoping we can use it like they showed in the presentation.

I would love the idea you mentioned and, I agree only a few people would care but, it would make a few thousand nerds happy. :)

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site

I agree. When I first got my Galaxy Tab 10.1 it came with stock Honeycomb. It had horrible typing lag in the browser, along with some other bugs. Samsung released a Touchwiz update. People posted that the Touchwiz update would mess things up, and that we should stick to stock. The new update actually made it run better. The browser lag was gone, and a few other perks were added.
I have to make it a point to try a device out myself, and not rely solely on what I read in the forums.

I had a sort of similar experience. A lot of people - on the forums - were hating the Nexus S because of the low amount of storage and, the specs. Some online tech reviews praised the Myrouch 4G over it. It wasn't until I tried it myself that I seen the difference and, I liked the Nexus S better for what I needed. This is why I don't care about the specs as much on the Galaxy Nexus, I have a feeling it will really work for what I want to do and then some.

One thing I agree with VZWRocks about is, you can't always go by others opinions on forums, you got to try it for yourself.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site

I think if a major supplier like HTC listened to their customers and said "we want to give you the best android experience as we can with sense and we work hard to differentiate ourselves from others. But if for any reason there's something you don't like, you can disable a specific app or go back to vanilla completely".

Which would create a support nightmare for them. While there is no such thing as completely standardized on Android the more options like that that they give the more things they have to test before the phone is released and with each update and the harder it is to troubleshoot issues when customers call into support.

This would be huge. And it only takes one manufacturer to start this as a trend. Imagine booting up your new phone and upon setup being greeted with that message saying something like "we would love it if you tried sense, click here for sense or here for vanilla".

The point of skins/frameworks is to give each manufacturer their own unique identity and style, and to do what you suggest would not only confuse customers but it as stated above would cause a lot of issues for support.

I can only speak for myself but, it's not because of lag that I don't want it. The HTC sense looks nice on the rezound from what I've seen. What I don't like is the way it takes over the whole system. There were things I liked about Gingerbread that you can't even use anymore. This is something I noticed when I had the Bionic.

In what way? Can you give us some examples?

For example, if I added a contact on my Mytouch, it wouldn't always sync with my Google account. Another example is on the Bionic, the lowest email checking interval you could set was 15 min, on Android 2.3 (which is installed on the Bionic) you can set the interval as low as 5 min. It's like they're trying to make it too much like the iphone. These may not mean a lot to some but, for me it did. I use my phone for business and, it's nice to have these things working properly and the way I want.

HTC Sense adds new contacts to the phone contacts database by default. It's always been that way as far as I know (Motoblur is the same way). If you want your contacts added to a specific gmail contact database you can do it via (on the Rezound):

Apps > People > Menu > New Contact > and change "phone" to the name of the gmail account you want to use and then Save it.

Once you do this once new contacts SHOULD save to that database, bur regardless the drop down menu is always there and you can make sure that you add it to the correct account when you make a contact.

I'm pretty sure HTC does it this way because they know that most people getting Sense phones will import their old contacts to the phone via backup assistant or restoring from a SIM card (GSM) and they don't want to create two databases and confuse the customer.

Reactions: qnet

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site

Apps > People > Menu > New Contact > and change "phone" to the name of the gmail account you want to use and then Save it.

I'm pretty sure HTC does it this way because they know that most people getting Sense phones will import their old contacts to the phone via backup assistant or restoring from a SIM card (GSM) and they don't want to create two databases and confuse the customer.

Thank you, I just tried it on my MyTouch. It's not exactly like you said but, close enough, I understand what you are trying to say and, what I was doing wrong now. I didn't specify Google as the contact type vs. T-mobile.

The thing with pure Android is, there are no extra steps, you just add the contact and, it syncs. It's not that big of a deal now that I realize what I was doing wrong.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site

Thank you, I just tried it on my MyTouch. It's not exactly like you said but, close enough, I understand what you are trying to say and, what I was doing wrong now. I didn't specify Google as the contact type vs. T-mobile.

The thing with pure Android is, there are no extra steps, you just add the contact and, it syncs. It's not that big of a deal now that I realize what I was doing wrong.

Yes the steps are a tiny bit different on the Incredible as well as I recall. Let me ask you this then: when you import your contacts from the SIM card where do they go by default? T-Mobile or does it ask you what Google account to put it in?

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site

Yes the steps are a tiny bit different on the Incredible as well as I recall. Let me ask you this then: when you import your contacts from the SIM card where do they go by default? T-Mobile or does it ask you what Google account to put it in?

That's the thing, I've never done it that way, I've always used Google. I'm not a expert on this stuff. I can just tell what I'm used to. Before all my switching around, I was with Verizon for quite awhile before all the smartphone craze (meaning phones before the Iphone).

The big deal phones back then were Blackberries & Palm Treo. I didn't know much about phones back then and, didn't even know what a sim card was until I left VZW and, got the Nexus One on T-mobile. I would enter all my contacts manually when I switched phones. (still, keep in mind I had no clue)

My last phone at Verizon at that time was a Blackberry and, when I got the Nexus One; I think searched on a easier way to transfer my contacts. With the Nexus One, it would not let you do anything with the phone unless you created a Google account. I created a Google email account and, downloaded a Google sync app on my Blackberry. It synced and uploaded all my contact into the Google cloud and, in my email account.

When I logged into the Nexus one, it synced and, pulled all my contacts from Google onto the phone. I thought that was so awesome and, I guess that's why & when I got so hooked on all the Google stuff and, pure Android. Buying the nexus One also gave me a Google voice account automatically, I just had to set it up. At that time GV was by invite only.

When I started trying out new and different phones I realized how much I missed the pure Android & Google experience. I really found this out when I got the Nexus S. The NS while not having the latest hardware and no removable storage was still faster than my N1 and Mytouch.

Well, I know that was a long explanation but, it's part of the reason I'm so excited about this Galaxy nexus and ICS. They have integrated a lot of things I like about the OEM skins and, 3rd party launchers, while keeping it pure Android. I realize pure Android is not for everybody, I can see that in the reviews I've been seeing. It won't be for everyone on here either but, I know I will like this phone very much.

Reactions: pauldroidr2d2

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site

That's the thing, I've never done it that way, I've always used Google. I'm not a expert on this stuff. I can just tell what I'm used to. Before all my switching around, I was with Verizon for quite awhile before all the smartphone craze (meaning phones before the Iphone).

The big deal phones back then were Blackberries & Palm Treo. I didn't know much about phones back then and, didn't even know what a sim card was until I left VZW and, got the Nexus One on T-mobile. I would enter all my contacts manually when I switched phones. (still, keep in mind I had no clue)

My last phone at Verizon at that time was a Blackberry and, when I got the Nexus One; I think searched on a easier way to transfer my contacts. With the Nexus One, it would not let you do anything with the phone unless you created a Google account. I created a Google email account and, downloaded a Google sync app on my Blackberry. It synced and uploaded all my contact into the Google cloud and, in my email account.

When I logged into the Nexus one, it synced and, pulled all my contacts from Google onto the phone. I thought that was so awesome and, I guess that's why & when I got so hooked on all the Google stuff and, pure Android. Buying the nexus One also gave me a Google voice account automatically, I just had to set it up. At that time GV was by invite only.

When I started trying out new and different phones I realized how much I missed the pure Android & Google experience. I really found this out when I got the Nexus S. The NS while not having the latest hardware and no removable storage was still faster than my N1 and Mytouch.

Well, I know that was a long explanation but, it's part of the reason I'm so excited about this Galaxy nexus and ICS. They have integrated a lot of things I like about the OEM skins and, 3rd party launchers, while keeping it pure Android. I realize pure Android is not for everybody, I can see that in the reviews I've been seeing. It won't be for everyone on here either but, I know I will like this phone very much.

Thanks for the explanation. Fair enough that you have always done it that way, but I think you need to understand that you are the minority there. Most users migrate from device to device via backup assistant or saving their contacts to the SIM card or the carrier rep using a celbright machine to transfer them. Verizorizon knows this which is why they out backup assistant on the GN. HTC also knows this which is why on recent devices accessing backup assistant is part of the setup process (that you can skip if you really want ti).

I've always used backup assistant (I have several hundred contacts) and after a year and a half using Android I finally exported the backup assistant contacts to a cvs file vie y Verizon online and imported them onto Google.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site

Thanks for the explanation. Fair enough that you have always done it that way, but I think you need to understand that you are the minority there. Most users migrate from device to device via backup assistant or saving their contacts to the SIM card or the carrier rep using a celbright machine to transfer them. Verizorizon knows this which is why they out backup assistant on the GN. HTC also knows this which is why on recent devices accessing backup assistant is part of the setup process (that you can skip if you really want ti).

I've always used backup assistant (I have several hundred contacts) and after a year and a half using Android I finally exported the backup assistant contacts to a cvs file vie y Verizon online and imported them onto Google.

I guess you'd need to poll to verify this, but I think that you are in minority. I don't know a single person that uses backup assistant and I believe that the vast majority of smartphones today are all using gmail to handle email (to include forwarding POP accounts), contacts and calendar. I would go so far as to say that not handling the storage of your phones data this way would be like buying a car so that you have a quiet place to listen to music, but using your bike to go everywhere.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site

That's cool, I don't have a issue with Verizon doing it that way at all. In the past I would have gladly let the reps do that for me. I'm not really that bothered by the two apps on there either. I use MyVerizon and, I can disable backup assistant from what I understand. I will just be happy when the phone is finally released.

goldkear

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site

People read this site and and other and are told such things as "motoblur sucks" and they believe it even before trying it. They see lag where none exists because they are told that it lags. How many of us have even USED stock Android since the original Droid? (and I don't mean playing with the Nexus S in the store, or custom roms made from the AOSP). I mean actually used stock android on a device that was designed for and optimized to use it? Watching videos on YouTube doesn't count either.

Xperia play, for one. I had one for a couple weeks when I thought my dinc had been stolen, then it turned up so i returned the play, I really liked the play but I obviously wanted my upgrade for something better (GN) Also, Why doesn't AOSP count again? tons of people use AOSP roms because its the only way to get vanilla android on their device? I used CM7 with launcher pro (because nobody is denying that vanilla gingerbread is ugly) for a really long time, but went back to sense because I wanted to try out sense 3 (i'll get to that in a moment) that didn't work out and it's basically been a rotating door of roms since.

I'm genuinely wondering: why do people hate oem skins in the first place? Is this the cool new hivemind mentality or are there really that many people who have tried a vanilla device and liked it enough to vow off skins forever? I know some like to blame skins for lag, but we're getting to a point where these phones' power outnumbers the amount of lag these skins can weigh it down with.

My rezound has none. No lag. I mean...despite the 0.1 second lag my new buddy in the other thread gets with his, this phone has been buttery smooth and everything htc sense brings is actually pretty awesome. The widgets, the lockscreen, the calender, etc.

I've always said sense adds some great functionality, but the bottom line is its bloated. I've tried a few different roms with newer version of sense on them, and yes custom roms are a little buggy, but 2.1 was laggy on my dinc, and 3.0+ are nearly unusable, as laggy is an understatement, and multitasking went out the window. now, the incredible may not be the newest greatest hardware, but when it came out it was king of the castle, and it's still no slouch. up until like 6 months ago, similar spec'd devices were still "high-end." There is no need for so much system resources to be hogged up JUST by the OS, It should be minuscule.

One thing I will miss about sense is the dialer, it is convenient to be able to spell a person's name on the alphanumeric keyboard. Though I don't call people very often, so I won't miss it that much.

I guess you'd need to poll to verify this, but I think that you are in minority. I don't know a single person that uses backup assistant and I believe that the vast majority of smartphones today are all using gmail to handle email (to include forwarding POP accounts), contacts and calendar. I would go so far as to say that not handling the storage of your phones data this way would be like buying a car so that you have a quiet place to listen to music, but using your bike to go everywhere.
I agree with this. When I got my first smarphone (which is my incredible) I took it as an opportunity to really clear out everything. I started a brand new gmail account and manually added all the contacts I wanted to keep off my phone. I realize most people would never do all that, but I hate backup assistant. I don't know if it's gotten any better, but back then it was impossible to delete a contact, which is something I do often, since I really see no reason to have 500 contacts when I only talk to a few daily and maybe a (edit:couple) dozen or so more at all.

To respond to OP: I'm not understanding your concern. Shortcuts for maps/navigation are part of the google maps app (which, on a side note, I can't imagine ever using, but I never use navigation in my town, and while traveling it's generally a one time thing so I wouldn't need a shortcut), shortcuts for contacts and bookmarks are just part of android, even froyo, probably eclair. I guess I just missed something.

Last edited:

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

That's pretty much how I've done it too.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site

In the tech nerd crowd (ie those who frequent this site) I probably am, but remember Verizon looks at the whole picture in which we are maybe 10%. I sell cel phones and with very few exceptions customers get very frustrated and sometimes angry when we cant transfer their contacts for them (we don't have a celbright machine, and iPhone 4 uses a microSIM instead of a standard one)..

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
To respond to OP: I'm not understanding your concern. Shortcuts for maps/navigation are part of the google maps app (which, on a side note, I can't imagine ever using, but I never use navigation in my town, and while traveling it's generally a one time thing so I wouldn't need a shortcut), shortcuts for contacts and bookmarks are just part of android, even froyo, probably eclair. I guess I just missed something.

Shortcut navigations from the home screen is something I use periodically. I have my home address set as a Starred place within the Google Maps app, but I have quite a few places saved. Therefore this can cause a slight delay if I haven't used that address in a while and it gets lost in the mix of other saved places. If I'm out and about, and quickly need to find a way to get home, I can click the saved Navigation I have saved on my home screen. It will open the Navigation app and provide directions for me automatically. One click of the icon is all that's needed. No opening up the navigation app, finding my destination, then telling it to navigate.

Last edited:

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site

Xperia play, for one. I had one for a couple weeks when I thought my dinc had been stolen, then it turned up so i returned the play, I really liked the play but I obviously wanted my upgrade for something better (GN) Also, Why doesn't AOSP count again? tons of people use AOSP roms because its the only way to get vanilla android on their device? I used CM7 with launcher pro (because nobody is denying that vanilla gingerbread is ugly) for a really long time, but went back to sense because I wanted to try out sense 3 (i'll get to that in a moment) that didn't work out and it's basically been a rotating door of roms since.

What I was getting at was that custom roms made from the AOSP are not the same as romns written by the hardware vendor and in many cases don't have correct (or at least the best) hardware drivers to make sure they work optimally with the hardware.

I agree with this. When I got my first smarphone (which is my incredible) I took it as an opportunity to really clear out everything. I started a brand new gmail account and manually added all the contacts I wanted to keep off my phone. I realize most people would never do all that, but I hate backup assistant. I don't know if it's gotten any better, but back then it was impossible to delete a contact, which is something I do often, since I really see no reason to have 500 contacts when I only talk to a few daily and maybe a dozen or so more at all.

Yeah you are the minority there. Customers want their new phone to have the same basic functionality of their old device out of the box and for most people I have encountered that means having their old contacts in their new phone, along with their pictures, ringtones, etc. I deal with people all the time who don't get that just by swapping their SD card from the old phone to the new one that all of that isnt there and working as they expect.

SoulWeaponry

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site

Which would create a support nightmare for them. While there is no such thing as completely standardized on Android the more options like that that they give the more things they have to test before the phone is released and with each update and the harder it is to troubleshoot issues when customers call into support.

The point of skins/frameworks is to give each manufacturer their own unique identity and style, and to do what you suggest would not only confuse customers but it as stated above would cause a lot of issues for support.

Yes and no. Device makers are stretching themselves thin with all these releases. Droid 3 just came out 5 months ago and they're already talking about a droid 4 coming out in the next month. So now motorola has to provide updates and support for this phone and that phone? Then the bionic, razr, droid x2? This...is getting insane. When you multitask like this, you're half assing everything.

Same with htc. Incredible 2, rhyme, thunderbolt, rezound. Cut it down to 2 phones on a carrier per year. Focus all your efforts on supporting those 2 phones. With this, you build up a reputation with your consumers as "buy this and you'll be solid with updates and support". If they did this, they could figure out what they need to with skins/apps/stock with the staff they already have.

Even if we did it in a completely vague way. Start up your rezound and sense is on there by default. If you want vanilla, you have to go deeeep into settings, flip a few switches and you're tasting vanilla baby. This way, they could still use sense to differentiate themselves (like i said in my previous post) while not alienating themselves from customers that want stock. How many people would ditch the nexus if there was an option for the UI/OS on the rezound to look and behave exactly the same?

This is all from a dumb consumer's perspective, but i think it could work. If i can figure out how to cook in the kitchen without burning it down, htc can figure out how to make a switchable skin

wallacedacz

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site

Shortcut navigations from the home screen is something I use periodically. I have my home address set as a Starred place within the Google Maps app, but I have quite a few places saved. Therefore this can cause a slight delay if I haven't used that address in a while and it gets lost in the mix of other saved places. If I'm out and about, and quickly need to find a way to get home, I can click the saved Navigation I have saved on my home screen. It will open the Navigation app and provide directions for me automatically. One click of the icon is all that's needed. No opening up the navigation app, finding my destination, then telling it to navigate.

OP- I did the exact same thing with my OD and found this thread trying to figure out how to do it on ICS. Specifically, I want a shortcut on my home page that opens navigation and sets the destination to my home address. If you find a way to do this, please update. Thx.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781