Moving from Bionic to Nexus

SSHGuru

Banned
Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Do I need to use an app like MyBackUpPro to get everything over to the Nexus or is there a better way to do it?

Does Google remember only your paid apps or free ones also?

Thanks,

xliderider

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Don't know about MyBackupPro, but Google will only remember your paid apps. If you are not rooted, Astro will back up most of your apps to your sd card, but it only backs up the app, not user settings/data.

If you are rooted, Titanium Backup will backup the app and user data/settings.

Edit: If you are going to get the GNex, please consider using my referal link for a discount coupon. :)

https://share.livingsocial.com/deals/178420?ref=conf-jp&rpi=37381046

SSHGuru

Banned
Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
I heard somewhere that in some versions of the operating system it may do free apps also - not sure if the Bionic will do it or not.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I believe in ICS, all your apps and settings download automatically. Can someone confirm this?

This would be awesome if true. What I really want is for Google to store things like custom assigned ring tones for contacts. That my biggest beef when switching to a new phone (or doing a hard reset).

graywolf007

May 1, 2010
Visit site
I've moved from Nexus One to a Nexus S and all the paid and free apps that were on my phone at the time transferred over with no problem, also transferred over all my wifi settings too.

Brett

MikeNY

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
I've moved from Nexus One to a Nexus S and all the paid and free apps that were on my phone at the time transferred over with no problem, also transferred over all my wifi settings too.

Brett

Wow transfer wifi settings (passwords etc?)? I was hoping that would happen someday, this is great.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site

Brett

Yeah, it did that when I got the Nexus S also.

To the OP, it may not download al of your apps but, you can go to the Android market online, sign in with your Google account and, download the rest manually. The Android market it kind of tricky because, sometime it will not show all your apps and, I can't remember if it's the paid or free ones. I think I had to search and install a few paid ones also.

It used to do everything but, it seems like since I got the Xoom, it hasn't been the same.

If you use any of the Motoblur apps like car navigation you will have to download car home the stock Google app. In fact I'm not even sure car home works with ICS. This is what I hate about this wait, there are a lot of unknowns.

goldkear

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Lots of phones do this. Nexus devices, HTC devices... I don't know about moto, but my Samsung did not. When I got my Thunderbolt, it restored apps from my Hero.

that's weird, because it's backed up to your google account, must be something they disabled in touchwiz for some reason.
I think it's a gingerbread (and beyond) thing where all apps and various settings are saved to your google account. However, this has produced weirdness for me because I change roms so often, where some apps get missed and other apps i uninstalled are still there. This is just when I would switch to an older rom though so I don't think it'll be a problem if you never go backwards.

Hosehead

May 18, 2010
Visit site
If you sync your settings with Google it will keep your wifi passwords, etc. it always seems to have worked that way for me. My experience is that paid apps are remembered in market but not free.

As for Titanium Backup, you would have to use dropbox or copy all the files via USB as there is no SD card to move, right?

MikeNY

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
What about apps that are not in the market anymore? I have a great mp3 downloader that is no longer in the market that I would love to transfer from my EVO to the Nexus.

SSHGuru

Banned
Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
If I use MyBackupPro I don't need a removable SD card. However I don't know how easily it will work going from Froyo to ICS since Gingerbread is just for Tablets - correct?

jerrod6

May 20, 2011
Visit site
If you go to the market on your Pc/web and check your account, you will see everything you downloaded or paid for. I actually don't want this stuff coming down automatically especially with a new operating system. I would prefer that it remain in my account and then let me download if and when I want to......so I hope this stuff does not start being installed automatically. Automatic download not good for me.

Because I am coming from a MOTO device to Samsung I don't want to copy over apps from one to the other. I would prefer clean installs of the apps onto the new Samsung system by that system.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
If I use MyBackupPro I don't need a removable SD card. However I don't know how easily it will work going from Froyo to ICS since Gingerbread is just for Tablets - correct?

No, Gingerbread is not just for tablets, you may be thinking of honeycomb. I haven't used MybackupPro so, I'm not sure how it would work. Are you mainly trying to move your apps or are you wanting ringtones and other settings also?

MikeNY

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
If you go to the market on your Pc/web and check your account, you will see everything you downloaded or paid for. I actually don't want this stuff coming down automatically especially with a new operating system. I would prefer that it remain in my account and then let me download if and when I want to......so I hope this stuff does not start being installed automatically. Automatic download not good for me.

Because I am coming from a MOTO device to Samsung I don't want to copy over apps from one to the other. I would prefer clean installs of the apps onto the new Samsung system by that system.

I notice the apps on my phone that are no longer available for download in the market are also not in my library when I go online to my account in the market, that sucks.

Jdm4292

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Use appbrain? Or use a file explorer to batch a backup and use compy to drag backup apps folder to nexus then batch install? Sorry maybe try the first one lol

SSHGuru

Banned
Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
MyBackUpPro does ringtones, wifi, etc..

However when I moved from the OG Droid to the Bionic it messed up my contacts - they were not all GMAIL and eventually I had to delete them all and sync from the gmail server to get them to work.

SoulWeaponry

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Where do I go online to see a list of my applications?

This^

And i must have gotten temporary dyslexia. I read the title as "from nexus to bionic" and was like...whaaa? Now i gotta spend all this time convincing him not to ditch the nexus and get a bionic? Geez

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20