How many ways to get GN while still in contract?

Androidpwns

May 28, 2011
Visit site
I bought a Thunderbolt late June 2011 (family plan). It's alright, other than the battery, but I would love to have a GN. I could use the Best Buy buy back deal and get $350 back to put towards the probable $800 for the GN but that still leaves the hefty amount of $450. I can think of a couple of ways to try and get it for less but thought u all would likely have some ideas I'd nvr have thought of. Thx :D .

bmoore0909

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Put another line in your family plan. I'm not sure if they're still doing this, but when I added a line last time they waived the $9.99/ month fee for the line. If they dont, you're looking at paying $10/month for two years..thats $240 + $299 for the phone. That's actually more..$539, but it's spread out.
If they don't charge you the $9.99 a month then that an even better deal.

Reactions: Androidpwns

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I bought a Thunderbolt late June 2011 (family plan). It's alright, other than the battery, but I would love to have a GN. I could use the Best Buy buy back deal and get $350 back to put towards the probable $800 for the GN but that still leaves the hefty amount of $450. I can think of a couple of ways to try and get it for less but thought u all would likely have some ideas I'd nvr have thought of. Thx :D .

So you got the buy back plan then? If that's the case, use it. You'll get more bang for your buck going that route instead of ebay. You could add a line, but you end up spending the same amount anyways. (its just spread out) Personally, I'd just bite the bullet and spend that $450 up front instead of adding another line. (and I'm going to be paying full retail out of pocket, so I'd trade you for that $450 instead of the $600ish it will cost me)

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Put another line in your family plan. I'm not sure if they're still doing this, but when I added a line last time they waived the $9.99/ month fee for the line. If they dont, you're looking at paying $10/month for two years..thats $240 + $299 for the phone. That's actually more..$539, but it's spread out.
If they don't charge you the $9.99 a month then that an even better deal.

In addition to doing this, the OP can sell the TBolt and help recover some of the costs. Just put a feature/dummy phone on the old line when activating the new line. I did this a while back. That way, I wasn't charged the extra data rate for the additional line.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
In addition to doing this, the OP can sell the TBolt and help recover some of the costs. Just put a feature/dummy phone on the old line when activating the new line. I did this a while back. That way, I wasn't charged the extra data rate for the additional line.

It ends up costing the same though.

Androidpwns

May 28, 2011
Visit site
All the ideas/comments/feedback have been great. Perhaps a combo of them might work out? Buyback for $350, add a line for $360ish over 2yrs + $300 GN, get a dummy phone for original line. Puts me at cost of $310. Hmmmm?

Small_law

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
We just have to wait and see about the non contract price. I'm not a wizard at wrangling a new phone from Verizon, and my contract is up in March. My renewal kicks in in January. I got the TB last March on a one year contract and I might still get the nexus off contract so I'm not married to Verizon.

fightfan

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Wow, I was under the impression that the original TB (or any smartphone) contract required a data plan for the entire 24 month duration. If you deactivate that smartphone, can you really remove the data package associated with it? That would be important news to keep in mind for sure. Thanks.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Wow, I was under the impression that the original TB (or any smartphone) contract required a data plan for the entire 24 month duration. If you deactivate that smartphone, can you really remove the data package associated with it? That would be important news to keep in mind for sure. Thanks.

He has it backwards:

1) Activate new line, with Galaxy Nexus
2) Get old feature phone
3) Activate feature phone on new line, and remove all features like data
4) Activate galaxy nexus on old line (so you can keep the same phone number)

You don't need active data for the entire contract length. You just have to keep the line active and number not canceled.

Reactions: fightfan

cdmta

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
Yes, if you add a line, you can then transfer that upgrade to your main line. The new line will just cost 9.99.
They do not require you to keep the data on it. I've done this several times. I now have 5 lines and 3 smartphones.

fightfan

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the clarification Droid800 and cdmta regarding canceling data plan without violating contract. I think I might have gotten the data plan and actual phone confused. I'm almost certain you cannot keep a smartphone active without the data plan, i.e. you can't get a new smartphone under contract and use it only for wifi. That is great news to know though!

I'm 90% sure I know the answer to this question, but I thought I'd ask to be certain. Here's my current situation.

Family plan
Primary: Dinc with old $15 data plan, under contract until Nov 2012, eligible for last one-year annual upgrade now though*
Mom: old flip phone with no data plan, out of contract, eligible for normal upgrade now

* I understand that the annual upgrade option is only available at actual Verizon Wireless stores and their online website, i.e. not at Costco, Best Buy, Amazon, etc.

As I understand it, I can get a new Nexus under my Mom's account with a $30 data plan, thus putting her under contract for 2 years. Then, I can deactivate my Mom's smartphone, put her back on her flip phone, and remove the $30 data plan. I can activate that new Nexus on my primary line, maintain my old $15 data plan if I want, and keep my line eligible for a 1-year annual upgrade and contract expiration on Nov 2012.

Is that what is meant when people talk about transferring their upgrade to another line? Can I do all of that without the deactivation and reactivation of the Nexus? The benefit, of course, is that I could look for a cheaper price at other stores, i.e. Costco. Presumably, I'd end up as follows. (?)

Family plan
Primary: Nexus with old $15 data plan, under contract until Nov 2012, eligible for last one-year annual upgrade now
Mom: old flip phone with no data plan, under contract until Nov 2013

Hope this doesn't constitute hijacking a thread! Thanks again for the clarification guys!

ihyln

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
It appears faking your own death then assuming a new identity is an easier way to get a new phone than any of the other methods haha

fightfan

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Oh ya, it just occurred to me. I don't know if this is still the case, but in the past, I was under the impression that some resellers (a non-Verizon corporate store) made you sign their own contract in addition to the standard 2-year Verizon one. It generally wasn't a big deal, but one of the stipulations might have been that nothing be changed for 6 months. If that is still the case and removing a data plan violated that condition, then there might be some other obstacles to consider. Bottom-line, I guess it's probably best to talk to the agent and make sure you read all of the fine print if required. Hopefully the agent will know what they're talking about. I suspect these type of things are done pretty frequently though.

Deltaechoe

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
Verizon just continuously screwed up my account, I complained enough and they put an early upgrade on my account. This was about a week after I bought the thunderbolt on contract so i've had an upgrade for 7 months now. Bottom line, complain enough to verizon and they'll eventually give you what you want so that you stop bothering them

SoulWeaponry

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Bottom line, complain enough to verizon and they'll eventually give you what you want so that you stop bothering them

But...the 10 times i called and spoke to different reps they all said it was impossibru to get an upgrade when my contract is only up in a couple months. Are you saying they lied to me?

...I thought me and verizon were buds

Deltaechoe

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
But...the 10 times i called and spoke to different reps they all said it was impossibru to get an upgrade when my contract is only up in a couple months. Are you saying they lied to me?

...I thought me and verizon were buds

Just keep escalating, don't take no for an answer, eventually you will get what you want, just takes some time. Also you have to have a good story to go with it, it's a trick called "social engineering", go google it

SoulWeaponry

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
My story: i have an addiction to cell phones and i need my fix. My friend has a ____ and i want one too. And uh...if you don't i'm going to sprint!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance