Pre-Nexus ICS fun (hopefully)

philly

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
So tonight to get a little taste of Nexus, I'm going to spend a while learning how to root my fascinate, and then rooting it, and then flashing the new ICS rom on it and playing around with it.

Anyhow.. If anyone wants to skype to help me out with this feel free to add me, Deadaim82.

and yes I wont be upset if a mod moves this thread to the fascinate, or ICS section of the website.

JoeUserTX

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Report back what success you have (and if you can remember to document your steps, please do so). I might do the same to my Fascinate, based upon your experience!

goldkear

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure how complicated rooting the fascinate is, but once you get that done, flashing roms is a walk in the park. a couple obvious, but very important tips:
-it can't be said enough: backup, backup, backup.
-you're going to have to erase everything whenever you flash a new rom, or you'll almost definitely run into issues.
-you will run into bugs, period.
-have fun!

nicrom72

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
My buddy did this to his last night and said it was buggy and not very smooth but it was pretty.
He said there was no way he could use that ROM as a daily driver but did like some of the features.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I am going to root my fascinate and do the same thing. sadly I have to wait until tomorrow since that is when the fascinate I bought will be in. I had one awhile back and was a great phone and am glad I will have something to pass the time until the nexus launches.

Mr. Poppalopolis

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
The ICS rom will probably be way too buggy to use on your everyday phone as nicrom72 said. If you don't want to use it for very long you could try out some other Gingerbread roms just to see the added features though.

philly

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
well im rooted, was pretty easy.. now I need to flash this ICS rom.. which I have no idea how to do.. I downloaded odin.. anyone wanna point me to my next step?

Mr. Poppalopolis

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
well im rooted, was pretty easy.. now I need to flash this ICS rom.. which I have no idea how to do.. I downloaded odin.. anyone wanna point me to my next step?

I've never flashed roms on a Fascinate but most phones can flash roms through clockworkmod recovery. You need to flash clockworkmod and the easiest way is to download the app Rom Manager, then use that to download and install it. It's very obvious what to do once you're in the app.

Reactions: philly

ajw20

Sep 10, 2010
Visit site
You need to use odin to flash clockworkmod. Then boot into clockworkmod and flash ics, it's pretty simple. I've been running it for a while and its pretty smooth for a phone with such little ram. PM me if you need any help.

philly

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
trying to set up clockworkmod recovery, I keep getting an error when im trying to do the sdcard update from the blue start screen.

I think my issue is that im starting from froyo and not a custom rom or 2.1 but I really dont know.

philly

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
I havent gotten into CWM yet..

this is my explanation of where im at so far that I just posted in the rom/root section of the fascinate forum.

So basically I'm working on flashing the ICS rom made by jt. I am a complete newb at this so what Ive gotten done so far is rooted, installed clockworkmod recovery with odin, and put a few files on my SD card.

When I try to flash the roms from rom manager, it will reboot to clockworkmod recovery but it errors with "E:failed to verify whole-file signature, E: signature veification failed, installation aborted" and it sends me to the blue recovery screen.

When I start my phone up with both volume buttons and the power button it sends me to blue recovery, according to the instructions to get into cwm recovery red from here I am suppose to do "update:sdcard.zip" option, when I do that option I get the same exact error as above.

Can someone please help me out? this was going very smoothly up until this point.

thanks!!

DaPoets

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
I havent gotten into CWM yet..

this is my explanation of where im at so far that I just posted in the rom/root section of the fascinate forum.

So basically I'm working on flashing the ICS rom made by jt. I am a complete newb at this so what Ive gotten done so far is rooted, installed clockworkmod recovery with odin, and put a few files on my SD card.

When I try to flash the roms from rom manager, it will reboot to clockworkmod recovery but it errors with "E:failed to verify whole-file signature, E: signature veification failed, installation aborted" and it sends me to the blue recovery screen.

When I start my phone up with both volume buttons and the power button it sends me to blue recovery, according to the instructions to get into cwm recovery red from here I am suppose to do "update:sdcard.zip" option, when I do that option I get the same exact error as above.

Can someone please help me out? this was going very smoothly up until this point.

thanks!!

I'm curious to know what the issue was for you? I think I ran into this same issue about 2 months ago and never bothered to really dive in to figure it out.

philly

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
I think my issue was I was using the wrong clockworkmod.. I was using the one it was telling me to use in the fascinate rooting instruction threads.. but I ended up finding a different one on some site.. flashed it with odin and when I started up it brought me into a red clockworkmod recovery screen.. I did some wipes, and then did the sdcard update and that brought me into an orange clockworkmod recovery, and from there I flashed the rom for ICS.

works great.. really smooth on the fascinate actually.. and my 3g is working very well.

my camera doesnt work, and face lock isnt an option (probably because I dont have a FFC?)

Cant wait for the GNex.. having a blast right now.. anyone with a fascinate should be doing this.

Josh515

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
Please share how you did it, my friend has been trying to root his Fascinate and has given up, claiming it is "unrootable".

philly

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Go to the Fascinate section, then to the roms subforum, then look at the first few sticky threads in there about rooting, I followed those instructions and the rooting part was pretty easy.

Also wanted to add its a 100% google experience on this rom, I dont have access to any of the bloatware,bing, or verizon apps that came with the fascinate.

Last edited:

Mr. Poppalopolis

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
Only problem with rooting and installing ICS is that you're probably not gonna put your phone down for a week. At least it should hold you over til the Nexus comes out.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay