I bet Verizon put Carrier IQ on their version of the Galaxy Nexus

hurricane87

May 22, 2010
Visit site
We already know they put bloatware on it. We already know they put they're logo on it. They have tainted the Nexus line in every way they know how, so I am willing to bet they put Carrier IQ on it.....Just saying

sushiglobster

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site
Re: I bet Verizon put Carrier IQ on their version of the Galaxy N

We already know they put bloatware on it. We already know they put they're logo on it. They have tainted the Nexus line in every way they know how, so I am willing to bet they put Carrier IQ on it.....Just saying

I bet it's on your phone already bro.

MowDownJoe

Regular lawnmower man...
Feb 14, 2010
Visit site

There was a system dump of the Verizon version of the Nexus a while back. We knew it was the Verizon version because of MyVerizon.apk. There was no CarrierIQ stuff anywhere.

Again, Google is going to be handling the updates on this. They're not going to want to deal with CarrierIQ.

Small_law

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site

We can't check it until we have the phone in hand. Whenever the heck that is...

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site

I would not want this on my phone, sadly it seems to be on a majority of phones. Contrary to reports from Carrier IQ that they do not engage in key-logging, this video proves otherwise. I cannot believe that there aren't more people outraged.

[YT]watch?v=T17XQI_AYNo&feature=player_embedded[/YT]

Reactions: motoprof

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site

Read this, Dan Rosenberg is a smart cat: Dear Internet, CarrierIQ does a lot of bad things. It's a potential risk to u - Pastebin.com

Also, with an unlocked bootloader, I was under the impression Carrier IQ could be neutered, but don't quote me on that.

CIQ is embedded deep in the framework/system files, so someone skilled would have to spend the time to remove it from many different files. But this is moot, because the Nexus line does not have such things :)

nullified

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site

According to Android Community:

Android Community is attempting to contact the four major carriers in the U.S. to who is using Carrier IQ and on which phones. So far only Verizon Wireless has responded, saying emphatically that they do not use Carrier IQ’s software in any way.

hyperdude

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site

So far I haven't seen anyone say their Verizon phone has CIQ on it. Plenty on Sprint though (at least with the EVO phones and whatnot). So I seriously doubt the VZ GN has any chance of having it on there.

Edit: what nullified said

TerryMasters

May 1, 2010
Visit site

There was a system dump of the Verizon version of the Nexus a while back. We knew it was the Verizon version because of MyVerizon.apk. There was no CarrierIQ stuff anywhere.

Again, Google is going to be handling the updates on this. They're not going to want to deal with CarrierIQ.

Wait, are you telling me our updates on non-Nexus phones get delayed because of THIS nonsense?!

jimmyt

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Ironic that of all the carriers, Verizon is the one that is not involved (if true).
Looking at some of the stuff in the droid razor looks like there's a bunch of data collection services in other items doesn't say carrier iq but it does talk about data collection the fact it an do everything to the phone.

motoprof

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

Great post Ricky. The video shows a lot and made me realize just how much privacy we have lost to these companies :mad: . Thanks for the post to the video.

Mr. Poppalopolis

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site

How recent is all this Carrier IQ hype? I only heard about it yesterday.

Also, is it part of the firmware, the rom, the kernel, or what? I would imagine it couldn't be too hard to remove from most phones.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze