Recording @ 24fps or 30fps?

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Hope womeone can help me.on this one. GN video capture is spec'd, 1080p @ 30fps. I've read reviews that stated it was actually capturing @ 24 fps. How do they determine that frame rate discrepancy?

Reactions: jephanie

mechapathy

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I know VLC can display frame rate information, and I'm sure most other media players can too. So if you open a file on your computer you can get the true frame rate. It's possible that there's a setting in the camera software that controls frame rate, but I don't know for sure.

I'd go ask at XDA if someone with a Nexus can confirm the frame rate either way.

Last edited:

CynicX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
24 fps is an old stardard, blue ray movies are 24 fps. Recording at 24 fps will even usually give a movie look to the video while 30 fps looks more camcorder like.

Which is better depends on the person using it and what they want there video to look like. I guess technically 30 fps could be quoted as "better" because it is recording more in the same amount of time.

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
24 fps is an old stardard, blue ray movies are 24 fps. Recording at 24 fps will even usually give a movie look to the video while 30 fps looks more camcorder like.

Which is better depends on the person using it and what they want there video to look like. I guess technically 30 fps could be quoted as "better" because it is recording more in the same amount of time.

How do you figure that? That seems almost seems contradictory on many levels. 1080p @ 24fps, would look good on a slow moving.or stationary target but when filming moving objects, things go downhill quickly. Filming the same sample in,1080p @ 30fps, it's able to capture objects more fluidly and the playback is smoother. Or am I just completely wrong on thsi?

Trauts123

Mar 13, 2016
Visit site
Since the format has being used for a long time our brains have adjusted to it and that is what we accept as the standard for movies (Look at the negative feed back for The Hobbit 1 which used 48 fps!). Also if I remember reading right 24fps was used because it offered the right amount of natural blur!