Purchasing in-store or online?

protonchain

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
So I have a question for y'all:

Are you going to be picking up your nexus at a Verizon store near you or ordering it online?

My worry about getting a smartphone in the verizon store is that the store employees here are buttholes. They're condescending. Especially not being a white dude, I feel like some of them are actually racist.

So I'm definitely considering ordering mine online, that way I don't have to deal with them, but that just further delays the phone.

Wat do?

What are you guys going to be doing?

zer0vette

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site

Are you going to be picking up your nexus at a Verizon store near you or ordering it online?

My worry about getting a smartphone in the verizon store is that the store employees here are buttholes. They're condescending. Especially not being a white dude, I feel like some of them are actually racist.

Wat do?

I hate all people from all races, especially salesmen, so i'm hoping i can pre-order so that i receive it on the day it's released. :D

TvTechGuru

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
I've never done it online. How do you activate it and all that mumbo jumbo? I feel more comfortable seeing the transfer from old phone to new in person. The people at my local VZW store are nice, never condescending.

orlanka

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site

So I'm definitely considering ordering mine online, that way I don't have to deal with them, but that just further delays the phone.

Wat do?

I'm in the racist midwest and the stores here have more than just us white folk working.

That said, salespeople of any race are typically (note I said typically and not always) idiots.

Last edited:

Salacon

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I fully expect to get mine online. Being able to preorder would be nice, but that isn't looking too likely.

Who knows, though. I'm actually off work Thursday and Friday, so I may make the 30-minute trip to the nearest Verizon store and pick one up after classes on whichever day it (hopefully) releases.

My main reasoning for wanting one through an online purchase is that I want to be the only one that's touched the phone, which is perhaps a bit weird, but I just want to set it up and all myself.

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
Buy at the store for full pop. Could save on tax if I order online, but my previous phone bought from wirefly had hassles with support at the store.

Sales tax here in Hawaii is only 4% so not so bad compared to some of you with outrageous tax.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site

Wat do?

Your comments are surprising living in California. You must have had a bad experience. I'm black and live in Atlanta. I never had a issue with the salespeople black or white. They're so eager to sell me a phone that most of them are pretty nice.

The only thing I don't like is them opening the box but I want to buy it in the store so I can use a credit on my account.

Z Fury

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
Your comments are surprising living in California. You must have had a bad experience. I'm black and live in Atlanta. I never had a issue with the salespeople black or white. They're so eager to sell me a phone that most of them are pretty nice.

The only thing I don't like is them opening the box but I want to buy it in the store so I can use a credit on my account.

I agree with the bold point. Most salesmen/women should just be excited to make the sale, regardless of age/race/gender. Salesmen/women who act condescending probably won't last long in the sales world.

I hope you have a better experience next time, OP. Not all salesmen/women are bad, but it does seem to be the bad ones we all remember most.

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
Is it possible to buy from the store and not have them set it up for you? I want to be able to unbox it for the first time....

If its a hot chick, I don't mind. ;-P

Every phone I have bought in store, I had to endure watching their grubby mits handle the phone.

Reactions: Terrigno

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
If its a hot chick, I don't mind. ;-P

Every phone I have bought in store, I had to endure watching their grubby mits handle the phone.

Haha! that's funny because the young lady who sold me the Bionic was attractive. She gave me her card when I returned it and, I hope she's there when I go to pick up the phone. I'll probably call her ahead of time.

zer0vette

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
i'll gladly order online and wait the extra time for it to ship to me if need be to avoid some DOOF touching my phone and yapping to me about accessories.

protonchain

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site

The person selling me the phone itself wasn't a bad person, but the people around him were. When the dude asked me if I wanted insurance and I said "nah" casually, he went about his business, but some chick behind him scoffs and goes "what an idiot".

Generally when I walked into the store they never smiled at me or anything, would always seem condescending and make me feel like I was wasting their time when all I asked was "I was wondering if I could see X phone".

That being said, there are new people in the shop now so hopefully the experience is ameliorated.

I agree with the bold point. Most salesmen/women should just be excited to make the sale, regardless of age/race/gender. Salesmen/women who act condescending probably won't last long in the sales world.

I hope you have a better experience next time, OP. Not all salesmen/women are bad, but it does seem to be the bad ones we all remember most.

Yeah the salespeople are definitely nice if you find the right one. Sometimes I get the occasional 'I'm busy, stop asking me questions' kind of a-hole, but most of the time it's nice people. As I said above, the people that are rude are the other people working there. People manning the front/entrance, people working behind the counters.

I might pick up my phone now in the shop, just because I want my hands on it right away, but I would also like to set that stuff up myself.

I'm not sure.

I guess what I'll do is check online what the final price is and how long shipping will take and then figure out if it's better to purchase online or in the shop.

Unboxing is definitely an exciting part of getting a new gadget, so I don't want that taken away from me.

SchroederNexus

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
store for me ... i have a coupon for returning an old phone i want to make sure i can use

also, want to use that livingsocial $50 credit for $25 on accessories

always easier to do all that in store.

Defconrock

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Assuming you order online on Friday, probably wouldn't get it until Monday, right?

So letting the doof play with my phone is worth getting it earlier imo.

goldkear

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Ordering online is typically cheaper. When I pre-ordered my dinc, it was $50 cheaper online.
Speaking of, that preorder started like 2 days before the launch, so they could still do it for gn.
I got the living social coupon, so if it is cheaper online, I'll have telesales price match.