Updates and Support

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
You're basing this all on nexus devices that were never on Verizon. Big difference. Verizon has already shown that they are doing things differently. I'm not going to argue forever. I expressed my opinions; you can believe whatever you need to in order to keep yourself going.

Your opinion is not based in factual reality.

anon(512898)

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Baseless? How about the fact that Verizon is blocking a Google feature from being on it's phone? http://www.androidcentral.com/verizon-reportedly-blocking-access-google-wallet-its-galaxy-nexus

They have taken over the launch of the phone (with Matias Duarte saying that it is their phone now), they added bloatware (2 apps is still bloat), and are checking for bugs themselves (meaning the update process will go through them). I think that this will be a great stock phone with a nexus name, but it will not be a true nexus. And I know that people aren't going to like hearing that, but as of right now, that's what it appears to be. I hope that I am proven wrong and that Google takes over.

Regardless, I'm still getting the phone and I'm super excited for it. Flame me anyways.

OMG TMOBILE BLOCKS GOOGLE WALLET ON THEIR VERSION OF THE NEXUS S!!!!!!!! THIS IS NOT A TRUE NEXUS!!!!!!!!

oh wait, it is and receives updates directly from google just the same (just like the at&t version, which also blocks google wallet)

JediJesus95

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
Biggest thing here is that we don't have to worry about Samsung getting their skin to work with updates. That alone will get us the updates 3-6 months faster. And of course I mean major updates.

E.T.

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
I think we all agree that the updates come from Google. I dont think anyone is suggesting that Verizon somehow writes android code. But I think there is a legitimate question as to:

a. whether Google's updates will go through a Verizon quality control process (Keywords: Verizon. Control. Process.)

and b. how long that process will take. Isn't it possible that Google could have an update ready extremely quickly, but quality control takes several weeks to months?

anon(512898)

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
I think we all agree that the updates come from Google. I dont think anyone is suggesting that Verizon somehow writes android code. But I think there is a legitimate question as to:

a. whether Google's updates will go through a Verizon quality control process (Keywords: Verizon. Control. Process.)

and b. how long that process will take. Isn't it possible that Google could have an update ready extremely quickly, but quality control takes several weeks to months?

I don't know the exact timeframe, but verizon's version of the xoom got its updates around the same time as the wifi only model, I think it may have even gotten either 3.1 or 3.2 earlier

JediJesus95

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
I agree Verizon has way too much control over this phone. The good news is as soon as we get it we can take the control back with root and awesome devs.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
I don't know the exact timeframe, but verizon's version of the xoom got its updates around the same time as the wifi only model, I think it may have even gotten either 3.1 or 3.2 earlier

Verizon got 3.1 actually earlier than the WiFi version actually, It was like a couple days but still it was first.

I have no doubt that Verizon will do SOME testing on the updates (as in enough to make sure Google didn't miss anything obvious), but don't think it will be run through the whole Technical Acceptance process either since the device will by definition get more frequent updates than other devices. If a bug pops up Google will squash it shortly thereafter.

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
Regardless, I'm still getting the phone and I'm super excited for it. Flame me anyways.

You are flamed because you bash bash and bash Verizon yet keep your contract with them. Seriously if I hate a company that much I wouldn't use them! And if you use them because they proved the best service in your area then complain about the others having crappy service LOL. Reminds of a bad marriage, get the hell out of it!

By the way I'm not flaming you, just giving you the reason why it happens.

soccerfon711

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
You are flamed because you bash bash and bash Verizon yet keep your contract with them. Seriously if I hate a company that much I wouldn't use them! And if you use them because they proved the best service in your area then complain about the others having crappy service LOL. Reminds of a bad marriage, get the hell out of it!

By the way I'm not flaming you, just giving you the reason why it happens.

I am not bashing Verizon. They have the best coverage, with other carriers not even coming close. At all. However, they have mistreated this phone to the point that it is no longer a pure Google experience (aka not a nexus). Want some real perspective on this, look no further than Phil's comments in the podcasts and his front-page posts. In the end, you guys can be blindly excited about a nexus moniker, but a name is sometimes just a name. This phone has turned into just another phone by Verizon. Still buying it; but as a phone running stock android with an unlocked bootloader.

Go read Phil's comments now; if you don't want to take my opinion seriously, maybe you will take his.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21