Whats the Next Big Phone after the GNex?

kharrigan

Now using God's Phone
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I am new to this.....but ever since I have been religiously following the Gnex I have been curious what the next big phone in the works is?
The next big thing that will Rick the world will be the iPhone 5. It should cop most of the GNex features - bigger screen, virtual home button, NFC, and LTE. It shouldn't matter - but the iSheep will flock to it.

0pusX

May 27, 2010
Visit site
The next big thing that will Rick the world will be the iPhone 5. It should cop most of the GNex features - bigger screen, virtual home button, NFC, and LTE. It shouldn't matter - but the iSheep will flock to it.

I love when people call iPhone users isheep......while in a forum that has people chomping at the bit for a phone that they worship the same way as iPhone users worship theirs.

Why not call you a NexusSheep? Its basically the same thing. iPhone work for some people better than Android devices do. Not EVERY iPhone user gets the iPhone just because of its popularity.

And at least Apple has the gonads to tell carriers how it is going to be without bending and giving in to the carriers wishes. Too bad we cant say that about Google..... Yeah sure it's "only 2 Verizon apps" but when get down to it, a NExus device should have NO carriers apps installed. And then there is the carrier branding on the Galaxy Nexus......

Reactions: SoulWeaponry

Somethingsfishy

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
Honestly I don't care after the GNex, at least for another two years. I'm mildly interested to see Intel's foray into the Android marketplace, but not so fascinated as to shell out an exorbitant amount of cash to get my hands on the finished product 8 months sooner.

TvTechGuru

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
Dude SLOW DOWN!! Why is everyone always trying to predict the next thing? How about we sit back and enjoy life and let things flow naturally? Instead of asking about the Droid 8, Samsung Galaxy S5, and the Nexus 15. Chill. Whenever you're due for an upgrade and ready, pick from whatever is out at the time.

VideoEngineerAJS

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I agree with some people here, I really don't care. I mean I don't really play games on my phone so quad-core is really not a big deal to me. The only thing I'll be excited about is the better and smaller radios. I mean Motorola and Samsung have done something to get some good battery life out of the current radios so I'll be happy with the Galaxy Nexus at least until the next Nexus comes out. I don't think I'll have phone envy of anyone (not that I have any now).

I do think that it will be good for the iPhone to finally have LTE though. I think the reason Apple pushed the 4S back was so they could go back to their yearly release schedule and be able to catch the newer LTE radios as the right time to put in their next phone.

burwil

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
I love when people call iPhone users isheep......while in a forum that has people chomping at the bit for a phone that they worship the same way as iPhone users worship theirs.

Why not call you a NexusSheep? Its basically the same thing. iPhone work for some people better than Android devices do. Not EVERY iPhone user gets the iPhone just because of its popularity.

And at least Apple has the gonads to tell carriers how it is going to be without bending and giving in to the carriers wishes. Too bad we cant say that about Google..... Yeah sure it's "only 2 Verizon apps" but when get down to it, a NExus device should have NO carriers apps installed. And then there is the carrier branding on the Galaxy Nexus......

My view is that it is because many Android users have experienced iOS (iTouch, iPad for me) but the reverse is not true. I am the only one in my office with android devices (Xoom, DroidX, DroidOG), none of my collegues who have an iPhone or iPad (a great many actually) have a clue about android. And I mean none! Nor much of an interest.

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Don't know myself as I've kept my attention on the Nexus. But, CES is in January which will reveal the latest generation for early to mid-2012.

mysterx

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
I think we are finding that battery life is the achilles heel of modern smart phones. I suspect we'll see the next major wave of phones greatly improve on battery efficiency (guessing Q3-Q4 2012). I'm not sharing anything you don't already know though - AH-IPS screens, 2nd gen LTE, quad-cores, etc. All of these improvements can add up to serious reduction in power usage. It makes me wish big red still had 1 year contracts.

-me

Somethingsfishy

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
I suppose the next Verizon phone will be the Droid RazrMax (AKA Motorola Dinara) But if experience shows, this will just be a Razr with a 1.5Ghz Snappy, 13 Megapixel camera with a terrible sensor, and maybe a bit better resolution on their screen. Motos screens have been crap for a while now and I see no indication that's going to change, so I am completely uninterested.

DaPoets

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
I would say there won't be any real phone that will make you drool until Q3 2012 if you have the Galaxy Nexus. And even then be ready for more delays like we have experienced here. I wouldn't doubt it if Google/Samsung give Verizon the middle finger and don't come out with another Nexus phone on Verizon for years to come.

idkwhothatis123

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
I would say there won't be any real phone that will make you drool until Q3 2012 if you have the Galaxy Nexus. And even then be ready for more delays like we have experienced here. I wouldn't doubt it if Google/Samsung give Verizon the middle finger and don't come out with another Nexus phone on Verizon for years to come.

Yeah, att will get the next one.

Sent from my HTC Mecha using Tapatalk

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I really don't care what the next big thing is. I will be a casual viewer from the sidelines with my Nexus in hand. Out of all the new phones coming out right now, the Nexus is probably the most future proof out of all of them. There will always be something better out there and someone bragging that they have the newest thing, only to want something different a few months down the road. For 95% of all phone usage, there will probably be minimal improvements as far as speed is concerned. New phones will focus more on better radios and battery life.

philly

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
I wish the nexus came out with the exynos cpu or something even better.. seems dumb that Verizon passes up on the Galaxy S2 and replaces it months later with hardware that is subpar.

edit: btw.. hilarious all the people posting they only care about the nexus.. and they own like 5 devices over the past year with very minimal upgrades in each handset.. you people will be going batpoop crazy as soon as some of next years phones come out..

Last edited:

VideoEngineerAJS

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I wish the nexus came out with the exynos cpu or something even better.. seems dumb that Verizon passes up on the Galaxy S2 and replaces it months later with hardware that is subpar.

edit: btw.. hilarious all the people posting they only care about the nexus.. and they own like 5 devices over the past year with very minimal upgrades in each handset.. you people will be going batpoop crazy as soon as some of next years phones come out..

I only own one device personally, but my wife owns the Revolution and I've done some stuff with it for her, so that's why I post that I have both the Thunderbolt and the Revolution. Plus, I bought both of them.

Before my Thunderbolt I had the Storm and before that the Dare and the Q. The only reason I'm upgrading before my actual upgrade time is because my mother can't afford a $200+ phone and she has my wife's old Droid, so I'm taking her upgrade and giving her my Thunderbolt. I just happen to be in a unique situation where I can upgrade without paying full price.

VickMackey#AC

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I like this post OP. I've seen the camera shots comparing the rezound, the 4s and the GNEX. I can't go from a poor camera (EVO3D) to a slightly better one, so i'll likely be passing on the GNEX if it comes to Sprint with the same internals/software that gives such poor color reproduction. I won't get another HTC device (Carrier IQ and locked bootloader) or a skinned device so It's the next Nexus device for me. I can wait a year.

dubya.t

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site

But many of the iphone user do.

Like my mom, she has her white iPhone4 because why? oh that white just looks so good...right, she has no idea why nor has she ever given another smartphone a chance. Funny thing is her and her friends know barely anything about their phones.

Here on these forums this would be the furthest thing from sheep. Here people do their research and learn about what they want to purchase beforehand, whereas my mom and her friends just hope that it comes out in a pink hue or something. To call this forum nexusSheep would be just ignorant

bworley50

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Well it seems like motorola is back into their bad habits that almost killed them before the og droid of releasing a ton of small iterative updates in rapid fire mode so I am not expecting anything "big" from them any time soon, who knows what will happen after the google takeover though.

Samsung is pretty clear cut we've got the galaxy s III which if the release is anything like the galaxy s I & II, it will release internationally at the beginning of the summer and make its way stateside next autumn.

HTC has that quad-core ville, that's all I really know about that.

We won't really have a good handle on what next year will be like until CES in january and MWC in march(?),
Motorola is in rapid fire mode because Google wants all that inventory gone.