No google wallet on the gnex - blocked by verizon

STC09

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
No interest in using Wallet but constantly trying to limit consumer choice is why Verizon will never be anything but a big dumb pipe as far as my accounts are concerned.

kesnik

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
No interest in using Wallet but constantly trying to limit consumer choice is why Verizon will never be anything but a big dumb pipe as far as my accounts are concerned.

Its true, this type of activity negativity affects my perception of Verizon as well as this new NFC service. I may boycott this new service simply because they are trying to control my choices.

-Kesnik

TerryMasters

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Wait, can someone explain to me why I need to root the phone in order to install Google Wallet? Are they literally blocking the app, or can they just put this in the market and not pre-install it out of the box?

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Thats your perogative, but you also have the choice not to use it. Just because one person does not want it, does not mean everyone else feels the same.

You realize that works both ways.......

I could care less about NFC or Google Wallet. I want the larger screen, ICS, dual core processor, and faster updates/better support. The rest eh. I also find this funny that people are blaming Verizon on this thing, when in reality it sounds like Google/Sprint have a deal. Heh.

fantlash

May 9, 2010
Visit site
Apparently it is the consumers that didn't get the message. With the exception of Apple, Verizon has been doing this for years. They don't have the best phones, plans or customer service but they do have the best wireless service over the other competitors and at the end of the day that is the key. Verizon knows they can manipulate these phones and still make billions of dollars selling them despite the complaints. Consumers complain about the products and do nothing but buy these same products that they are complaining about but we still blame Verizon.

Holsum

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
I was sort of disappointed in the news, but in all honesty, i saw this coming. I knew Verizon with their ISIS deal would never let Google put wallet on their device.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Apparently it is the consumers that didn't get the message. With the exception of Apple, Verizon has been doing this for years. They don't have the best phones, plans or customer service but they do have the best wireless service over the other competitors and at the end of the day that is the key. Verizon knows they can manipulate these phones and still make billions of dollars selling them despite the complaints. Consumers complain about the products and do nothing but buy these same products that they are complaining about but we still blame Verizon.

Right. And the average buyer doesn't even know that Google Wallet even exists, let alone that it was blocked by Verizon.

Clancy3434

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
i am pissed about this... but it's not a deal breaker. i'll eventually root the phone and get g-wallet.

any word on when this ISIS service is due?

mastawyrm

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
Just how 'blocked' is it? Are they just making it not show up in the market?(My guess is this) Blocking installation within the OS?(pretty unlikely) Or are they actually blocking the network traffic?

Holsum

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Just how 'blocked' is it? Are they just making it not show up in the market?(My guess is this) Blocking installation within the OS?(pretty unlikely) Or are they actually blocking the network traffic?

Right, what is stopping us from getting the .apk and side loading it on the device?

taylorbb

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site

Actually, according to consumer reports 2011 ratings, Verizon and Sprint are tied in customer service with everyone else falling below. However, they have slipped this year from holding the lone top spot since 2003. IMO this is because of their poor launch strategies this year. This has pissed off a lot of buyers.

DenverRalphy

Retired Network Mod
May 11, 2010
Visit site
This isn't Verizon blocking the feature, so stop hating. There is a reason no other carrier but Sprint uses Google wallet. They have an exclusive deal with Google that bars other carriers from using the feature.

Verizon Galaxy Nexus cannot use Google Wallet, Sprint only | ZDNet

That article is wrong.

Google didn't sign an exclusive with Sprint. Sprint is simply the only major US carrier to partner with them. Google's own website mentions Sprint as the first carrier (exclusive is in no way mentioned) to support Wallet. VZW, AT&T, and T-Mobile all own Isis. So it's not surprising that they decided not to support Google Wallet.

JoeUserTX

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
From VZW's statement:
...in order to work as architected by Google, Google Wallet needs to be integrated into a new, secure and proprietary hardware element in our phones.

So, it's a Samsung hardware issue? VZW doesn't manufacture hardware.

Somehow, I think their statement is somewhat dishonest, as NPC is the "hardware element" of which they speak...

anon(525422)

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Somehow, I think their statement is somewhat dishonest, as NPC is the "hardware element" of which they speak...
NPC? Someone's been playing too many MMOs. :p

But yes, sounds like a fob-off statement to me since they have no involvement in the hardware, which we know is specifically designed to use NFC ... and they aren't meant to have any involvement in the software.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante