OS Update on day 1?

sushiglobster

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site
I hope we can order all these accessories when I place my online order for this beast.

I'm interested in that extended battery...but I wonder how much thicker it makes the GN.

SO MANY QUESTIONS!

CynicX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
This is proof Verizon has found some issues but catering to us too by getting it to stores before its updated. This is a lot faster then all the phones having the update pre installed.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I hope we can order all these accessories when I place my online order for this beast.

I'm interested in that extended battery...but I wonder how much thicker it makes the GN.

SO MANY QUESTIONS!

I would think since it isn't a huge jump in mah over the stock battery that it should fit with minimal increase. Maybe they did it somewhat like the droid 3 is where you can barely tell anything is different over the stock battery?

philly

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
droid-life.. constantly talked down by some of the sheep on here.. yet has probably been the best place for verizon/android related news for atleast a year now.

Reactions: E.T.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
This is proof Verizon has found some issues but catering to us too by getting it to stores before its updated. This is a lot faster then all the phones having the update pre installed.

Or this could be the 4.0.2 update that fixes all the bugs and the phone was not shipped with it so that is why it is ready come day 1?

Cauhauna

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site

this decision has nothing to do with a niche market of enthusiasts who will buy the phone, and more to do with the fact that it is much more cost effective for them.

how many labor hours do you think it would take to unbox and flash every unit?

Reactions: E.T. and Premium1

CynicX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
this decision has nothing to do with a niche market of enthusiasts who will buy the phone, and more to do with the fact that it is much more cost effective for them.

how many labor hours do you think it would take to unbox and flash every unit?

How many labor hours and how much overhead is required to push an update to every phone? Be more cost effective for the update to be on the phone before its even in the box and shipped to Verizon stores.

Doesn't remove the fact the LTE version is being updated before the phone is released either. And it says to update immediately on activation or it will remind you every 30 minutes. Obviously something they don't want you to ignore.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
How many labor hours and how much overhead is required to push an update to every phone? Be more cost effective for the update to be on the phone before its even in the box and shipped to Verizon stores.

Doesn't remove the fact the LTE version is being updated before the phone is released either. And it says to update immediately on activation or it will remind you every 30 minutes. Obviously something they don't want you to ignore.

They also had that for the charge when it launched it had an update. It would be cheaper to have their(google's) engineers push out an ota than open every box and update the phones.

CynicX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
They also had that for the charge when it launched it had an update. It would be cheaper to have their(google's) engineers push out an ota than open every box and update the phones.

Yes I understand that. But its not cheaper then the update being the initial install.

But if that were the case then there would be no way to have the phone released anytime soon.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Yes I understand that. But its not cheaper then the update being the initial install.

But if that were the case then there would be no way to have the phone released anytime soon.

Except when the phones shipped this update was most likely not out which makes sense they would want to test it first.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I hope I will be able to get the car dock. If all those accessories are available I'm going to get everything I want all at once. :)

CynicX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Except when the phones shipped this update was most likely not out which makes sense they would want to test it first.

I may not exactly be following your statement correctly so excuse my ignorance.

I'm going to start over with my initial opinion of what I believe is happening.

Verizon tested the initial release. Didn't like something about it and had to have it fixed prior to it getting to customers. At this point the phone is pretty much ready for shipping. Verizon held the phone while it was updated, remember testers have been getting this update and testing it.

OK now the phone is ready and being shipped without the update to get it into the store as fast as Verizon can. Meanwhile the update is being preped for mass distribution which is uncommon for Google as they like to send out updates in waves not all at once.

Since it cost money for technician labor , hogging bandwidth, tons of computers to send the update etc. It would have been cheaper to just wait on the assembly line or whatever until the final release of android (final initial release) to be flashed. Then box it and send it but if that were the case there is no way we'd see this phone anytime soon.

So the way I see it Verizon is spending money to get us the device faster.

That's just my opinion and it could be wrong and I don't have problem being wrong. Just seems like the timeline for hinted release then updates work dates works.

There were accidental advert release on black Friday and Verizon reps saying it should have been released then but problem fixing then a tester released update and now here we are. Just makes sense to me....

CynicX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I hope I will be able to get the car dock. If all those accessories are available I'm going to get everything I want all at once. :)

Haha i 'm the same way. I'll probably drop just as much money in accessories as I do on the phone itself. I already plan on 2 car chargers, screen protector, case, dock for the nightstand.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site

It is if the devices were packaged in the box BEFORE the update passed TA.

Pushing an OTA is just a few commands on a computer, doing manual updates for already in box phones would take days for someone to open all of the boxes, attach them to a computer and flash them then put them back in the boxes and put one of those colored stickers on the bos near tne IEME signifying it was updated.

OTA is a LOT easier for them.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Verizon tested the initial release. Didn't like something about it and had to have it fixed prior to it getting to customers. At this point the phone is pretty much ready for shipping. Verizon held the phone while it was updated, remember testers have been getting this update and testing it.

OK now the phone is ready and being shipped without the update to get it into the store as fast as Verizon can. Meanwhile the update is being preped for mass distribution which is uncommon for Google as they like to send out updates in waves not all at once.

Since it cost money for technician labor , hogging bandwidth, tons of computers to send the update etc. It would have been cheaper to just wait on the assembly line or whatever until the final release of android (final initial release) to be flashed. Then box it and send it but if that were the case there is no way we'd see this phone anytime soon.

major updates are usually sent out in waves but small OTA patches are usually made available to everyone all at once in my experience. I know everyone is hoping this is 4.1 but I have a feeling it is 4.0.1 which fixes the authentication problems they were having with MyVerizon and backup assistant.

We don't know how long these devices have been sitting in boxes somewhere but I don't think it would have been cost effective at all to hold them all off until the final software was ready, and doing the update post boxing would have been very labor intensive.

Deltaechoe

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
phones that are already manufactured and off in the box dont' have the latest firmware, this is more cost effective and feasible than manually updating each phone in the warehouses

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech