Using Tablet Prepaid plan with GNex

FireAndGlass

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
I have a Motorola Xoom, and from all that I can tell, I should be able to SIM-swap with it and a GNex. You can get a prepaid tablet 2GB plan for $30/mo. I have been using Google Voice for a year and LOVE it, I love responding to texts in a browser, answering my phone when my bluetooth headset is listening to music at work and can't hear my phone but I see Lync pop up with a call and just answer it, etc. Beyond saving tons of $$$. GrooVe IP can be used to answer calls, though IDK how reliable it is, but I am personally not very reliable on actually catching calls now anyways, so. My own mother just emails me these days anyways, so who cares about phone calls.

Anyone else planning to do this? Is anyone currently doing this with another LTE VZW phone?

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I have a Motorola Xoom, and from all that I can tell, I should be able to SIM-swap with it and a GNex. You can get a prepaid tablet 2GB plan for $30/mo. I have been using Google Voice for a year and LOVE it, I love responding to texts in a browser, answering my phone when my bluetooth headset is listening to music at work and can't hear my phone but I see Lync pop up with a call and just answer it, etc. Beyond saving tons of $$$. GrooVe IP can be used to answer calls, though IDK how reliable it is, but I am personally not very reliable on actually catching calls now anyways, so. My own mother just emails me these days anyways, so who cares about phone calls.

Anyone else planning to do this? Is anyone currently doing this with another LTE VZW phone?

First, that won't work. The Xoom uses a regular SIM card, and the Nexus uses a micro SIM.

Second, that's also a great way to get Verizon to cancel your service for both your phone and your tablet.

FireAndGlass

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
First, that won't work. The Xoom uses a regular SIM card, and the Nexus uses a micro SIM.

Second, that's also a great way to get Verizon to cancel your service for both your phone and your tablet.

I've been using a microSIM from my iPhone 4 in my Dell STreak for over a year. It's simply less plastic on the microSIM. I have an exacto knife and know how to use it.

yes, the 2nd is possible, if they watch IMEI's, but actual user experience in this thread says otherwise. You got a source for what you're saying?

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I've been using a microSIM from my iPhone 4 in my Dell STreak for over a year. It's simply less plastic on the microSIM. I have an exacto knife and know how to use it.

yes, the 2nd is possible, if they watch IMEI's, but actual user experience in this thread says otherwise. You got a source for what you're saying?

It doesn't work like that. The Xoom, for whatever reason, will not work with micro SIMs that are in adapters. Once you cut that SIM down, you're screwed.

FireAndGlass

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
It doesn't work like that. The Xoom, for whatever reason, will not work with micro SIMs that are in adapters. Once you cut that SIM down, you're screwed.

so a thread at droid-life has conflicting info. in the slide header paragraph, it says it's exactly the same, but later on says it won't work, and the commenters say it works fine.

Just like I"ve used my microSIM in my dell streak forever, but I just have to position it exactly, I'm sure it's fine. In the corporate world, officially supporting something is expensive, and even though ti works most of the time, you won't support it unless you have too. Especially for carriers, it benifits them if things aren't interchangable, which VZW is the worst at. they want you to have plans for every device. swapping sims between device is a nightmare. they will make all kinds of bulll up before they admit it's OK to swap. just like you can tether for free by rooting. I don't buy it.

Last edited:

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
so a thread at droid-life has conflicting info. in the slide header paragraph, it says it's exactly the same, but later on says it won't work, and the commenters say it works fine.

Just like I"ve used my microSIM in my dell streak forever, but I just have to position it exactly, I'm sure it's fine. In the corporate world, officially supporting something is expensive, and even though ti works most of the time, you won't support it unless you have too. Especially for carriers, it benifits them if things aren't interchangable, which VZW is the worst at. they want you to have plans for every device. swapping sims between device is a nightmare. they will make all kinds of bulll up before they admit it's OK to swap. just like you can tether for free by rooting. I don't buy it.

The micro sim will not work. The Xoom will not read it.