Go drool or will I regret it?

mjhubbard

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
So the store on my way to Houston today confirms they have a demo unit I can see (no they wont sell me one, yes I asked).

So do I go drool over something that I cant have, or just wait till I can see it and impuls buy it? I mean, will I just be teasing myself and putting myself through hell?

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I'm glad that I had a chance to play around with a demo unit, it reminds me that the wait is worth it :)

go go go go

defdc

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
Not me. I'm already pretty sure I'll love it, coming from my OG Droid. It will just make me sad knowing that I probably have at best a week to wait... :)

mjhubbard

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Ok so I went and saw it.

The build quality was good. It was plastic but it felt firm, solid. It did not feel cheep. But I am going to wrap it in an otterbox so I could care less.

I was surprised about the screen. The in store reps let me do a side by side with a razer. The razers screen actually looked better! It was more vivid and actually looked less pixilated and more smooth. It was really confusing since I know that the nexus has on paper a better screen. Anyone know how the razor might look more vivid? I mean the nexus looked a little washed out next to it.

I was also disappointed with how the new bottom buttons. Were implemented. When playing something like netflix, the bottom buttons (home, back, and multitask) are supposed to disappear but theybdont fully. At the bottom is still a thin bar with three dots. If you select it the menu comes back. But that bottom bar with three dots takes up enough room that the actually usable screen is the same size as the razor. The nexus does not really use its advantage of a bigger screen.

Jet300

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
Ok so I went and saw it.

The build quality was good. It was plastic but it felt firm, solid. It did not feel cheep. But I am going to wrap it in an otterbox so I could care less.

I was surprised about the screen. The in store reps let me do a side by side with a razer. The razers screen actually looked better! It was more vivid and actually looked less pixilated and more smooth. It was really confusing since I know that the nexus has on paper a better screen. Anyone know how the razor might look more vivid? I mean the nexus looked a little washed out next to it.

I was also disappointed with how the new bottom buttons. Were implemented. When playing something like netflix, the bottom buttons (home, back, and multitask) are supposed to disappear but theybdont fully. At the bottom is still a thin bar with three dots. If you select it the menu comes back. But that bottom bar with three dots takes up enough room that the actually usable screen is the same size as the razor. The nexus does not really use its advantage of a bigger screen.

If the Nexus screen looks worse than the Razr then I will be extremely disappointed. Thankfully 99% of the reviews I have read have said otherwise.

A guy I work with has a Razr and I have to say its nothing impressive at all. From the screen, to the skin, to the form factor, I find it all very disappointing. To me, the screen on the Razr looks dim and the colors over saturated. It reminds me of looking though a bright screen though window tinting. The overall user experience reminded me exactly of my wife's Droid 3, but in a thinner, lighter, bigger screened package. I find her D3 to have the same exact problem with the screen brightness; only with a nasty Pentile matrix to ruin it even further. It's way to dim under most lighting situations. I constantly find my self holding it up to a light source to make it brighter. Then it always gets too bright. I much prefer the screen on my TBolt. It may not have the best resolution or the latest, highest tech screen, but it sure seems to always look good in any light source I encounter, except of course, bright sunlight. But of course, owning a TBolt comes with its own special litany of problems....

I'm really looking forward to a great screen experience with the Nexus. I have been holding my upgrade for almost a year now waiting to take the plunge on a device that has a shot of lasting me two years.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Drooling is a good thing :) I drooled over the Rexound the day before release day (friends with the reps in the store) and bought one a few days later.

I'll be out Christmas shopping Sunday or Monday this week and assuming the phone isn't out yet will hopefully at least get to see the display model. We are getting LTE here on the 15th and have been invited to come try out the phone they have provisioned for LTE at my convenience.

08BlkCaliSRT4

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site

That's why I try not to talk to the reps much or have them handle the devices. They could easily manipulate the screen setting especially if they have to push certain phones. I usually uncheck auto brightnes, crank both up and compare myself which looks better to me.

Last edited:

E.T.

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
Ok so I went and saw it.

I'm actually surprised because everytime I've compared the Razr screen to the Rezound, the razr just doesn't come close. You can tell that the razr is a huge step up from the bionic, but it's still somewhere between the last gen screen technology and the current generation.

The Rezound is in a class by itself or maybe with the iphone. Knowing Samsung and the specs, the Gnex will be at or above the Rezound.

mjhubbard

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
That's why I try not to talk to the reps much or have them handle the devices. They could easily manipulate the screen setting especially if they have to push certain phones. I usually uncheck auto brightnes, crank both up and compare myself which looks better to me.

See unfortunately since they were keeping it in the back I had to go through a rep. He stood over my shoulder and would not go 5through feet from me. Paranoid a bit. He was pushing the razor so hard I thought he was going to yell.

JoeNM84

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
See unfortunately since they were keeping it in the back I had to go through a rep. He stood over my shoulder and would not go 5through feet from me. Paranoid a bit. He was pushing the razor so hard I thought he was going to yell.

I had a salesperson not go far from me each time I went and saw the Nexus as well. Both also pushed the Razr. They said they like the Razr better but that the Nexus is pretty cool. I'm sure they just want you to buy a phone that is already out so they can get commission today on the chance you take their word and choose to buy the Razr that day rather than wait.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site

I think you're giving them waaaaay too much credit here.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
I'm actually surprised because everytime I've compared the Razr screen to the Rezound, the razr just doesn't come close. You can tell that the razr is a huge step up from the bionic, but it's still somewhere between the last gen screen technology and the current generation.

The Rezound is in a class by itself or maybe with the iphone. Knowing Samsung and the specs, the Gnex will be at or above the Rezound.

Exactly. The Rezound is amazing and I have to seriously wonder of he had a defective unit or something. It blows RAZR, Bionic, Thunderbolt, and several others have here out of the water. It's very comparable to the GS2 and original Amoled (not super LCD) screened Droid Incredible I still have here from launch day.

delkhouri

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
Its all over the internet that these phones have shipped out to stores. The stores have no real reason to show them to people since they can't buy them yet and if people see the nexus and it is actually good then people will wait for the nexus to launch. However if you manipulate the nexus to make it look bad and then show it alongside the Razr then people will stop waiting for the Nexus and just buy the Razr.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Its all over the internet that these phones have shipped out to stores. The stores have no real reason to show them to people since they can't buy them yet and if people see the nexus and it is actually good then people will wait for the nexus to launch. However if you manipulate the nexus to make it look bad and then show it alongside the Razr then people will stop waiting for the Nexus and just buy the Razr.

I see what you are getting at but I just dont think the reps are thinking that far ahead or that deeply. Some people report seeing completely new never touched devices brought out from the back when someone asked.

delkhouri

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
Well all I can say is that in my experience of working a commission based job, people will do almost anything in order to make a sale. If people leave the store without buying something they rarely come back. So if a customer gets to see the Nexus and it looks better and they have to wait to buy it, they may have every intention of coming back to buy it from that salesman but they rarely do. Commission based salesmen realize this and they will do just about anything to close a sale 'today' even if that means making one phone that they cant sell look bad so they can sell a phone that they are able to sell that day.