Help! someone convince me why the Nexus is better again!

jerrod6

May 20, 2011
Visit site
EXACTLY . this is a very nice phone but its not the leap forward that some people would have you believe . other than a slightly better screen and a somewhat better camera its really got nothing on the razr but ICS.

What about the ICS upgrade path info issued by Moto and HTC(?) about ICS code being configured to run with the TI Omap processor and GPU on the GN. I think these firms said that they would have to change code for it to run better on their systems. Of course once they accomplish this I guess it will work well on their platforms... we hope.

edoublediz

Banned
Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
It isn't worth speculating as to why the RAZR would look better when you checked them out. Some people favor the AMOLED displays to the true LCD display of the Rezound, even though the PPI is far better on the Rezound. Maybe the brightness settings were off on the Rezound...? Maybe that demo unit had seen better days...? Too hard to tell. It is a fact that the Rezound has a better display hardware-wise than the RAZR.

Far better ppi? I they have the same exact resolution and the nexus has only. 35" larger screen. That can't equate to "far greater" ppi

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

chevyman29

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
i really cant tell if there is any practicle difference in the performance between the two phones i was just pointing out the whole benchmark thing cause alot of people talk up the benchmarks of this phone and that phone ...... but there again i'm by no stretch a power user . so ymmv as far as witch one runs smoother under a load.

TrendyProfessional1

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Re: Help! some one convinve me why the nexus is better again!

I don't have a razor. Battery issue kills the razor for me. But I just could not believe that next to eachother playing the same movie, the razor was smother and more vibrant. I was hoping for an explanation of why this might be.

Would the Verizon guys have screwed with the settings to try and make the razor look better? Are they that devious and desperate to sell something that minute since obviously I was not going to buy a nexus right then?

Don't feel bad I did get to play with a GSM unlocked GN people say it isn't an accurate test and it may not be ICS ready. But when I did the quadrant bench mark. The portion of the test with the two planets ran a lot smoother on the Razr. Also on the screen rotation the Razr was faster.
Let me mention this before I go any further. I had the razr for a bit. The build between the two the slight edge goes to the Razr.
Heck with data turned off I got over 10hrs on the Batt. The screen in direct sunlight was stellar not to mention call quality. I will tell u what made me want to give the GN a serious try was the browser.
The text was bigger on the GN and when u use full screen mode wow. I do like to use my phone for reading so that made me decide to give the GN a serious try. The two phones are very close. So don't bust the OPs chops. There are some areas the Razr outshines the GN and vice versa

FishPharm

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
Even though I was able to see one today, it was only for just a minute or two. It was really hard to get into it much because the Verizon guy was standing over me nervously. When I took a picture with it I thought he was going to have a heart attack...lol. I did notice that it had a very fast shutter like what other people are saying and the picture appeared better than what my Razr does indoors. I loved what I saw of ICS. The size also seems really good .... fit nice in my hand and I also agree that it doesn't feel as cheap as I thought it may. I couldn't really tell much of a difference in the look of the screen between my Razr and the GN but I didn't really have enough time to really examine it well. It definitely solidified my decision on getting it when it becomes available. My wife was with me and she kinda rolled her eyes at me the whole time (boys and their toys..haha)

TrendyProfessional1

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Re: Help! some one convine me why the nexus is better again!

This phone basically has three things going for it that no other phone (other than the GSM Nexus) has:

1. It's the first device to officially have ICS
2. It's a Nexus device and the reference device for ICS so it will get updates first and faster, Will also be among the first to get Jellybean (Android 4.1 or whatever it ends up being numbered)
3. All reports show zero shutter lag on the camera

Other than these three things it is a nice device but nothing to write home about,

As for your description of the screen, everyone's perceptions are different. Both phones use variations of Pentile displays but on paper this one is better, but a lot can be said for perception.

It's your choice, no one is forcing you to trade your RAZR in for this. There seems to be an elitist attitude running through this forum (and Andrew's reviews) that people who actually choose something else must be crazy, but I say choose what you want and go with it without shame. The RAZR will be among the firs handful of device to get ICS early next year.

I agree these two phones are neck and neck. Photo finish

TrendyProfessional1

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
well i have seen both the razr and the nexus side by side cause i own both . i bought the gsm version from exspasys got it this week . i just watched the same video side by side at the same time and can honestly say the nexus does look a little better but not enough to sway me one way or another . the camera is defintly better on the nexus . but one thing i havent seen talked about is the low quadrant scores from the nexus . i just ran it three times in a row and never broke 2000 with the nexus . while i averaged over 2500 with the razr. im sure the 720 screen has something to do with this its still disappointing to say the least.

all that being said i do love ICS and cannot wait till it comes to the razr.!

p.s one insider thats very reputable over at HOFO says the verizon nex will be a dissapointment as in poor signal and a general let down .

That's exactly what I was saying about the quad bench. There are some test where the GN smoked the Razr like the sunspider. But see here is my concern exactly the signal strength and call quality. I guess if all else fails and I decide on the razr I can always increase the text size. If that be true it is a phone first after all. N the Razr does look pretty slick to me.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
People who are not like me (new phone every few months) need to set aside the hype, think about what is really important to them personally, try put all of the devices and decide what is best for them. The vast majority of users are going to be perfectly happy with any of these phones. All have great specs and all will get Gingerbread the first quarter of next year thus leveling the playing field for most people.

Um, yeah. That's the problem. Those other phones will be stuck on Gingerbread for god knows how long, while the Nexus ships with ICS. And who the hell knows what ICS will look like after it's been modded by the manufacturers?

Phadunkin

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
I'm wanting the nexus and will wait for it.. after testing and seeing the razr and rezound.. although both are fine phones.

but if things don't go accordingly.. then i'll have to "settle" and get one of those two from eBay for a cheaper price than retail

Lanzeelus

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
It has a 1.2 Ghx processor when 1.5 is the high bar now

What do GHz have to do with anything? Comparing clock speeds between two different processors is an Apples to Oranges comparison. Obviously when you say 1.5 GHz you're referring to the Snapdragon processor, but that is quite possibly the worst dual core processor available. The fact that it's clocked higher is actually bad if it gets outperformed by lower clocked processors. The Snapdragon uses older and less efficient CPU architecture for its processor than every other dual core processor. Now THAT is a step back. Even then, the Galaxy Nexus's processor is underclocked from 1.5 GHz, so overclocking still reaps the benefit from that "high bar".

and no matter how you swing it it is a pentile display. A very GOOD pentile display but still pentile. Will the average user be able to tell the difference? No. but that does not change the facts.

So what if it's a PenTile display if no one is even going to be able to tell the difference? Perception is the ONLY thing that matters when talking about how a display looks. The only negative here that PenTile seems to create is the negative connotation in the name.

but at least hardware wise there are several devices out already that are better: GS2, GS2 Skyrocket, HTC Vivid and yes HTC Rezound, and apparently the LG Nitro (no first hand experience with that one yet) to name a few.

Once again, except for the original GS2, these are all clearly based on the fact that the Snapdragon has a high clock rate. Once again, the Snapdragon is probably the worst dual core processor. It shows both in benchmarks and in real life performance. Phones with the Snapdragon dual core chip generally lag worse than phones with any other dual core processor.

The original Nexus One was the bar setter. At the time of release it was far and a head the best phone on Android. PERIOD. Newest OS, fastest processor.

That's true for a reason. Back then, Android wasn't growing nearly as fast as it is now. Better hardware was possible then, but no one cared enough to use it, so Google HAD to get them to use it. Ever since then it's been a race for the best hardware. In 2011 we've gone to Dual Core, and now we're heading towards Quad Core already WITHOUT any push from Google. Google doesn't NEED to set any hardware bars. Like you said, there are a ton of phones with great hardware. Not only is it not possible for Google to push the bar with the technology that exists now, but it would probably be a bad idea even if they could. Isn't it bad enough that flagship phones barely stay flagships for two weeks anymore?

Lanzeelus

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
but one thing i havent seen talked about is the low quadrant scores from the nexus . i just ran it three times in a row and never broke 2000 with the nexus . while i averaged over 2500 with the razr. im sure the 720 screen has something to do with this its still disappointing to say the least.

Quadrant isn't optimized for anything. Not optimized for dual core, not optimized for qhd, and definitely not optimized for full HD displays and Ice Cream Sandwich. It hasn't been updated in 10 months. Why people still use it is a better question than why the Nexus scores low on it.

Run Antutu on both devices instead and see which wins. In Antutu the Galaxy Nexus beats everything except the Quad Core Transformer Prime.

kidserious

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Sales 101: Chapter 5: How to reassure the customer they are making the right one, once the customer has made a buying decision.

Maybe they genuinely agreed, maybe they didn't but I would not read too much into it.

These guys are actually kinda my friends, I go into the store that much. And what buying decision? I couldn't buy anything. These guys know that I know my stuff, in fact whenever I come into the store they start asking me about new stuff that is supposed to be coming out and they ask my opinions on things. But, even if they were doing this, which I know they weren't, it doesn't change the fact that the nexus is a superior device hands down.

Meh

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
What about the ICS upgrade path info issued by Moto and HTC(?) about ICS code being configured to run with the TI Omap processor and GPU on the GN. I think these firms said that they would have to change code for it to run better on their systems. Of course once they accomplish this I guess it will work well on their platforms... we hope.

They were talking about hardware drivers and base-bands, which are not actually a part of ICS (Samsung would have provided that) and those always have to be changed from device to device.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Um, yeah. That's the problem. Those other phones will be stuck on Gingerbread for god knows how long, while the Nexus ships with ICS. And who the hell knows what ICS will look like after it's been modded by the manufacturers?

Nope. First quarter of next year, which is only a few weeks away (depending on how each company defines quarters - possibly sooner) I'm expecting to see at least one Moto device get it in January. It's gonna take a couple months for all (or at least most) of the apps in the market to be upgraded to support/be optimized for ICS anyway.

As for the customizations we shall have to see what each OEM chooses to do. HTC will likely try to merge ICS with what they have done with Sense since Sense is their trademark. Moto has already removed most of the extraneous stuff from Blur (it's mostly a collection of widgets on top of an almost AOSP launcher and will probably be fairly easy for them). Samsung and LG we will have to see.

Updating the top of the line devices to ICS is a high priority now and we wont see the delays we did a year ago.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
These guys are actually kinda my friends, I go into the store that much. And what buying decision? I couldn't buy anything. These guys know that I know my stuff, in fact whenever I come into the store they start asking me about new stuff that is supposed to be coming out and they ask my opinions on things. But, even if they were doing this, which I know they weren't, it doesn't change the fact that the nexus is a superior device hands down.

Meh

You've already made your choice in devices clear hear and I am betting to them as well, if not by stating so directly then by your attitudes. One of the worse things a sales person can do is talk a customer OUT of something they want, in the end they either leave and get what they want somewhere else or end up returning the thing the sales person talked them into instead. First rule of sales is "give the customer what they want" and you clearly know what you want. They can't sell it to you YET but that does not mean they hope that when it is available you will come back and get it from one of them instead of ordering it on the web or going to an indirect retailer.

You believe it to be the superior device. Fair enough.

You're entitled to your opinion (which they may or may not genuinely share) but that does not make yours any more valid than other people here, no matter how many VZW sales people agree with you.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
I strongly disagree with this statement and am calling B.S.

We'll see ...

Calling BS, lol yeah ... and all those google Execs talking about the conoperative they put together with OEM's and carriers last summer were just blowing smoke. And the OEM's all anouncing within days of the ICS anoumcement how they pkaned to move forward with upgrading their existing devices were just talking.

I'm not saying every device that should get it will but the devicew we have all been talking about here comparing the Nexus to (GS2, Bionic, Rezound, Vivid, RAZR, etc.) all will, and a lot sooner than devices did last year.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca