Anyone else starting to think this phone will be a disaster?

KB3MMX

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
I don't mean in terms of popularity, I mean in terms of problems. It seems like everyday the phone doesn't come out something new is wrong with it. And yes, I know that every new phone is going to have it's bugs, especially when it comes with a new OS. But I'm not talking about rumors, I'm talking about things shown from people who actually use it; first it was the volume bug, then it was the USB cable making the touchscreen spaz out. Now one of the guys here who got one says his sound went completely MIA. That's three major issues we've actually seen and the damn thing hasn't even been released yet.

Then you see the VZW apps preinstalled on it. Then you hear from Google that they "removed Wallet at Verizon's request". Then you see the videos of the HSPA version and you've got even more problems. I've experienced Samsung's shoddy build quality first hand - I have a Charge, I've been through two Galaxy Tabs that both got sent back. Needless to say I'm not enthralled to hear about who built this phone. Sure, something like speech to text pulling contact names out of the blue should definitely be fixable via software, but even with the exception of the apps, those other things are all hardware related issues. Can they be fixed with software updates? There's a good chance most of them could. But as far as software goes (and though only slightly related), throughout all of Eclair, Froyo, Gingerbread and now ICS we still haven't had a fix for Gmail that allows us to sync high-res contact photos, so just because something can be fixed via software doesn't mean it will be.

Then if you take the rumors into consideration, you have a phone that may not be updated directly from Google, that could very well be outdated a month after it's launch and a bunch of other problems I can't even will myself to list. Make no mistake about it, Android is beautiful. I want to love this phone. The HD Super Amoled itself is enough to justify it for me. Hell, up until the threads and YouTube videos showcasing it's problems I was prepared to buy this thing off contract since I'm not eligible for an upgrade. I don't know if it's the way they handled this launch or what... but something about this phone just irks me now. Something tells me "there's a problem with the phone that can't be fixed without a recall" or "the second I buy it, a host of other hardware problems are going to show up, and I question what of them can be fixed". I'm just really starting to doubt wanting this phone.

I'm also losing faith that this phone is going to be worth burning up my upgrade on....I smell another droid charge disaster coming on.

Verizon seems to cause all kind of problems by loading their bloatware on devices....and the LTE device & system reliability is a whole other issue.

My opinion of Verizon has been rapidly going downhill, it seems like they can't get anything right. It would be nice if they focused on a couple devices that worked right and were state of the art !!

Instead, Verizon is constantly focused on flooding their stores with new crap devices every couple months...(ugh)

Verizon still has yet to release a android phone with a good battery life for a moderate or heavy user !!

Stepping down from soapbox now..

Sent from my Droid Charge with tapatalk

JoJoCal19

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
Nothing like taking the high road in an intelligent discussion, right bro?

It was meant to inject a touch of humor into an otherwise contentious thread. But sure I'll bite.

Aside from the launch being a disaster in and of itself, I don't feel that there will be anything wrong with this phone when it's released. For all we know Verizon could have delayed it multiple times to fix bugs that either came up with the LTE device, or that were common for both the GSM and LTE variants and decided to get it fixed first (volume bug, usb/screen bug, etc). So you're thread was kind of melodramatic, apologies that I've been known to minimize things in perspective.

TerryMasters

May 1, 2010
Visit site
It was meant to inject a touch of humor into an otherwise contentious thread. But sure I'll bite.

Aside from the launch being a disaster in and of itself, I don't feel that there will be anything wrong with this phone when it's released. For all we know Verizon could have delayed it multiple times to fix bugs that either came up with the LTE device, or that were common for both the GSM and LTE variants and decided to get it fixed first (volume bug, usb/screen bug, etc). So you're thread was kind of melodramatic, apologies that I've been known to minimize things in perspective.

Forum logic is the bigger the words you use, the more correct you are. Regardless of fact or opinion, of course. Apology accepted.

thedeceiver

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
That's three major issues we've actually seen and the damn thing hasn't even been released yet.

This is the same issue people have with the "Hurricane Forecast" that the National Weather Service puts out. How does anyone really know how many hurricanes there were in 1856? We didn't have satellites, or Radar, or large population centers all over the Gulf Coast and Florida. Maybe there are the same number of Hurricanes but because we can see everyone that forms now with our new technology our perception is that they are more frequent?

The same holds true for this phone. Are there really more defects issues with this phone than other ones, or are people just more likely to leak information on this?

The carriers and manufacturers create this problem by allowing people to talk openly about their devices and release strategies. People think they're buggy because they hear about problems on pre-release (except for the volume bug, which was a launch bug) when normally, the public wouldn't have known.

The leaks and blogs... and guys like P3Droid and BMX generate a lot of conversation about a device, which is excellent, but then that leads to a ton of backlash when there are problems or their pronouncements don't come true.

In my opinion, Verizon, the handset manufacturers, etc. should stop all the leaks as aggressively as possible. Yes, I'd miss the information and the conversation it generates, but it would make the releease process less painful. Verizon would give a date and it'd just appear.

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
This is the same issue people have with the "Hurricane Forecast" that the National Weather Service puts out. How does anyone really know how many hurricanes there were in 1856? We didn't have satellites, or Radar, or large population centers all over the Gulf Coast and Florida. Maybe there are the same number of Hurricanes but because we can see everyone that forms now with our new technology our perception is that they are more frequent?

The same holds true for this phone. Are there really more defects issues with this phone than other ones, or are people just more likely to leak information on this?

The carriers and manufacturers create this problem by allowing people to talk openly about their devices and release strategies. People think they're buggy because they hear about problems on pre-release (except for the volume bug, which was a launch bug) when normally, the public wouldn't have known.

The leaks and blogs... and guys like P3Droid and BMX generate a lot of conversation about a device, which is excellent, but then that leads to a ton of backlash when there are problems or their pronouncements don't come true.

In my opinion, Verizon, the handset manufacturers, etc. should stop all the leaks as aggressively as possible. Yes, I'd miss the information and the conversation it generates, but it would make the releease process less painful. Verizon would give a date and it'd just appear.

Or just remember to take all of it w/ the grain of salt that it's worth. Can't get steered in the wrong direction if you stick to the straight and narrow. Now, if I could actually figure out how to heed my own advice...

mjhubbard

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Verizon does not do themselves any favors with perception by going so far as to send the stock to the stores and then hold off selling. You know at that point the cat is out of the bag. Sending the phones to the store should be a point of no return for the sale date because you cant keep the shipments a secret.

If your quality control is so bad that you miss a bug large enough to postpone the release after shipment, some one needs to find a new job.

MRW1215

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
"Disaster"? Sounds like someone is way over-exaggerating. First of all, the one volume bug people reported with the GSM model was apparently fixed by an OTA already. Second of all, the bloatware thing isn't a huge deal; it's only My Verizon and that backup app, both of which could be pretty handy to some people (and if not, apparently ICS lets you freeze and/ or remove any app on the phone, so they can just be gotten rid of).

As far as someone getting one that has zero sound at all, eh... This is the first I'm hearing of it, but I'd guess it's a very isolated incident. There's always a bad one in a batch, so it's not out of the realm of possibility that someone happened to get a bad one.

NewAge

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
People have said over and over they dont care about bugs.. I think thats just silly. and like it was said before.. I think this phone lost alot of its advantage when it clearly getting updates directly from google became questioned and not having any verizon apps pre-loaded came about.

It has a slew of problems many people simply dont care about.. but they are big problems. Not having SD card slot.. and not having USB mass storage.. WTH is the point of this? isnt this phone suppose to be dev friendly? it barely quadrants 500 pts higher then my fascinate with ICS.. where as the galaxy s2 is like 2k above it. Add on the questionable radio quality of samsung phones and battery life reports we have gotten.. I really dont see how this phone is hyped as much.. simply because it carries the Nexus name.

This phone might be able to live off the Nexus name.. or it might kill it.

Not having a SD slot and USB mass storage is part of the design, not a problem. Once you use it I'm sure the new implementation will work nicely.

You are using benchmarks as an argument? Samsung is known to tweak benchmarks with Touchwizz. The reason there is no tweaking on this Samsung phone is because there is no Touchwizz. Benchmarks should not be a variable used when calculating one type of phone against a different type but for an individual phone against itself or like.

This is as Nexus as Verizon is going to get so take it or leave it.

philosopherisdog

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
Disaster is a strong word, but I definitely agree with the basic idea of your post.

I'm a little surprised that so many people are still eager to pick this phone up on release day. Wouldn't it be wise to wait a couple of weeks to see some more feedback regarding the Verizon/LTE version of this phone?

The flaws/bugs will probably be worked out but why not wait until they are and to get a more comprehensive review of the phone?

My OG Droid still works relatively well and even though I'm extremely excited to pick up something new, I'm going to be objective and really take a hard look at how I'm spending my money.

Joe the Insider

Trusted Member
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
No, but the the people on here are making sound like its a disaster. Give me a break, I understand you want the phone, but let's make sure the bugs are worked out before it releases.

Thing 342

Dec 4, 2011
Visit site
Verizon didn't delay this phone just to watch nerds get pissed. They delayed it for a reason, and I'd much rather have a nice phone later than have a lemon.

thirsy1258

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
Verizon didn't delay this phone just to watch nerds get pissed. They delayed it for a reason, and I'd much rather have a nice phone later than have a lemon.

The nerds will destroy u for that crazy talk. Almost like omfg it has a Verizon app on it.

sent from my thunderbolt

ulnek

Dec 22, 2009
Visit site
will be? isn't it already? that's like a marathoner stumbling at the starting line and having to get a brace on for a few hours before getting to actually start.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vignajeanniegolabek