Best Buy Finally Called and Asked Me To Return The GN

guinnkevinr

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I finally got a call from the best buy that sold me my Galaxy Nexus asking me to take it back since they weren't supposed to sell it due to a "Software problem".

Needless to say I'm torn on what to do.

EDIT:

My video Unboxing!

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cw6km7Dj3g&feature=g-upl[/YT]

My Video Tour of the Verizon Galaxy Nexus!

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQv41AC42bU&feature=youtu.be[/YT]

EDIT 2:

I went to best buy to deal with this in person and spent two hours there trying to negotiate even the smallest of reward or gift card or even a discount on something else and they wouldn't do it. I spoke to a manager and three reps. All were freaking out about it and had a look of fear in their eyes needing to get the phone back "Because we want to make sure you don't have a faulty phone" but in reality, I could tell someone was in trouble. I told them, work with me and I'll return it. I spend an hour and a half activating the phone and trying to purchase, an hour total drive time dealing with this and the two hours trying to negotiate the return, and they wouldn't work with me. Not even a $50 discount on anything. they tried to push the razr on me. I said "If you can discount it, you have a deal"they wouldn't, then I said I might consider if they had the 32 Gig iphone 4s which they didn't and said all they could do is order me the 16 gig to pick up tomorrow. I said I didn't want it and the guy said he would call me back tomorrow. I told him not to waste his breath and I won't be returning. then I left.

The only problem I face now, Is I did notice a screen defect where you can see burns in the screen on low lit setting and while on white backgrounds. It's like 4 or 5 burn lines from top to bottom of the screen. I might just take it back for a refund as now that I notice the problem, I don't want to be stuck with it.

BB was making it sound like this phone isn't coming out anytime soon and they were trying to do me a favor and protect me from the "Software Problems" that have delayed the phone. I asked flat out if the rep who sold it to me is in any kind of trouble and they said no. So I don't know what the deal is. I can tell you the guy I was dealing with tonights face dropped when I said no and walked out.

EDIT 3:

Shout out to Phonedog and the other news blogs for writing great articles about my situation.

http://www.phonedog.com/2011/12/12/was-best-buy-wrong-to-ask-a-customer-to-return-the-galaxy-nexus/

http://www.vzbuzz.com/2011/12/best-buy-asks-customer-who-purchased-galaxy-nexus-early-to-return-it-what-would-you-do/

EDIT 4:

Ok guys I've been having a lot of weight on my shoulders because of all of this and finally decided to call the rep who sold me the phone and ask him what's really going on. After about 10 minutes of talking to him I finally understood why all the calls. Corporate is mad. Really mad that any of these slipped out. He doesn't know yet if his job is on the line but did say there is a "Review" happening and he is in big trouble but also knows he has some back up as his managers and other staff told him it was ok to sell.

I asked him if he thinks he will be around for my next phone purchase and he said "Honestly, I don't think I will lose my job but I'm pretty sure they are pulling me off mobile and I will be around here (as in the BB store) somewhere.

The guy who sold it to me is really nice and I've always gone to him for my phone sales and I decided to take the nexus back.

I went in and took it back and I said "Let me negotiate them keeping your job for this" and he said "I don't want to add more fuel to the flames" and to let it go and that he will be fine.

I asked "Does me returning this at least help you in some way?" and he said yes.

I've returned it and am happy with my decision because though this wasn't my fault, he is a good guy who made a mistake and I won't let him go down for it because I must have the latest and greatest.

I promise you one thing, as soon as the phone is released, I will have it in my possession again and will join you all in the happy times.

Thank you all for your support and following my journey.

-Kevin

Last edited:

BrianTufo

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I finally got a call from the best buy that sold me my Galaxy Nexus asking me to take it back since they weren't supposed to sell it due to a "Software problem".

I don't see how they can make you return it at this point. Sorry they screwed up but they sold it to you and that seems to be their problem not yours.

Reactions: PatrickAkridge

terpitude71

Retired Moderator
Dec 9, 2009
Visit site

tell them youll go ahead and hang on to it until the update comes out :)

it seriously isnt your problem. they made the mistake of selling it to you. youre under no obligation to return it

mjhubbard

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
They sold it to you. You are under no obligation to return it legaly. You have a reciept proving you paid for it. All they can do is claim they are going to fire some one to make you feel bad. (they wont fire some one probably.)

Reactions: crzycrkr

JoeUserTX

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
If it were me, I'd return to the store, respectfully demand a RAZR or Rezound to hang onto for a few days, then return that phone for my GN when they officially go on sale.

Good karma, and all that. But, that's just me. I ain't married to a dang phone.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
This whole launch is so weird. I've never heard of a company calling someone to return something they bought even if there was something wrong with it. If someone's job is on the line I'd probably take it back.

lembowski

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
They are looking at serious fines, tell them you will only return it if you are compensated in some way. The fines will be more than the phone costs, maybe ask for the phone to be free once released for you.

Reactions: crzycrkr

bworley50

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Haha that might be a good Idea. Maybe I will negotiate for $100 in best buy gift card for my troubles if I take it back.
They asked you to take it back. Now you have an obligation to do so. I would do it. There is NO downside to returning it, but for the loss of use of it for a few days.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1