Video Tour of My Verizon Galaxy Nexus

MedioGringo

Jan 10, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the video. Android browsers shouldn't checker board tho, that's not how Android works. A developer for Google explained all this about a week ago in a long post on Google+. Worth a read; it's pretty interesting. The browser will lag and stutter, but not checker board.

MowDownJoe

Regular lawnmower man...
Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the video. Android browsers shouldn't checker board tho, that's not how Android works. A developer for Google explained all this about a week ago in a long post on Google+. Worth a read; it's pretty interesting. The browser will lag and stutter, but not checker board.

You didn't read that whole post, did you? They mentioned that it changed in ICS (or was it Honeycomb?) to something more iPhone-y.

Reactions: Premium1

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site

Actually, I think they said ICSis different from previous Android builds in that way.

MedioGringo

Jan 10, 2010
Visit site
Actually, I think they said ICSis different from previous Android builds in that way.

Nah IIRC it was an essential part of Android from the beginning. It has to do with what kind of inputs the OS gives priority to. On iOS or WP7, touching the screen stops all operations. So for instance, if a web page is loading on your WP7 device and you try to pinch-and-zoom, the page will stop loading till you finish. This is really noticeable on my Samsung Focus. Same thing with scrolling - that's where checker boarding comes in. Even after the whole page has loaded, if you try to scroll quickly you get big blank spots on the page till the OS catches up with your inputs. That's why the iOS Safari browser won't let you scroll that fast - it hides this effect. The iPhone 4s is so fast, I'm not sure it's necessary tho. That kind of never happens on Android (on my EVO 3d). The drawback is lag.

But I'm not a developer so I'm sure someone on this board knows a lot more than me about this subject.

thescreensavers

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
You didn't read that whole post, did you? They mentioned that it changed in ICS (or was it Honeycomb?) to something more iPhone-y.

Android keeps loading the page though? The whole reason why the iPhone has a checkerboards and stuff is because it stops loading the page all together until you let go of the screen.

If I read the article correctly Android would have to be re-written from the ground up to incorporate this change.

Scout_313

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
Well, now I'm even more jealous and more impatient than ever. Really hoping that Thursday ends up being the day we've been waiting for.

hyperdude

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Android keeps loading the page though? The whole reason why the iPhone has a checkerboards and stuff is because it stops loading the page all together until you let go of the screen.

If I read the article correctly Android would have to be re-written from the ground up to incorporate this change.
Not only would the frameworks of Android need to be rewritten, but apparently every app would need a rewrite to make that change.

@OP: Thanks for the video! :)

MedioGringo

Jan 10, 2010
Visit site

No I read the whole post, that's why I prefaced my statement with IIRC. I do remember, as others have said, that they mentioned having to rewrite all of Android's code in order for it to operate like iOS or WP7, and to me that sounded like it was a core part of the way Android always operated. I could be wrong tho. I mean, that's certainly how the browser on my Evo 3d and 4g have worked. I'll go reread that post.

EDIT: I reread the post, and the new one, and unfortunately she removed the part that I was referencing (about iOS prioritizing touch inputs above everything else). However, you're totally right that they changed the way the browser renders pages to be more like iOS in Honeycomb. Here's the quote:

• When people have historically compared web browser scrolling between Android and iOS, most of the differences they are seeing are not due to hardware accelerated drawing. Originally Android went a different route for its web page rendering and made different compromises: the web page is turned in to a display list, which is continually rendered to the screen, instead of using tiles. This has the benefit that scrolling and zooming never have artifacts of tiles that haven’t yet been drawn. Its downside is that as the graphics on the web page get more complicated to draw the frame rate goes down. As of Android 3.0, the browser now uses tiles, so it can maintain a consistent frame rate as you scroll or zoom, with the negative of having artifacts when newly needed tiles can’t be rendered quickly enough.

Ok I'll stop hijacking this thread now.

Last edited:

rfmike

Dec 2, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the Video, You sir are a Lucky Dog!!!! One question. How Much internal Memory is on the device (after all the stock system programs)?:)

andy7g

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
A question for OP. How is the game looks like on the phone? Since most HD games designed to be run on 800x480 resolution? Is the graphic got stretched to fill the screen or left blank on the sides? Thnaks!

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc