Exchange forces encryption.

jlongjr27

May 30, 2011
Visit site
This didn't occur on any other android connected to the exhcange server in my office, however it forces me to encrypt my nexus when I connected it to my exchange server.

I guess it's a good thing it's just taking FOREVER!!!! It's been encrypting for about an hour and it's 67% complete.

Cowql8er

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
I had the same thing happen with my SGN. I wasn't forced to encrypt on my Fascinate running 2.2 before this phone, I was only forced to put in a pin or swipe pattern. It doesn't seem to have affected the performance any, just annoying to put in a pin in the middle of boot up making it take longer.

northbanker

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I had the same thing happen with my SGN. I wasn't forced to encrypt on my Fascinate running 2.2 before this phone, I was only forced to put in a pin or swipe pattern. It doesn't seem to have affected the performance any, just annoying to put in a pin in the middle of boot up making it take longer.

Can you please elaborate on the PIN requirement? Are you saying you have to enter an encryption PIN at every reboot?

My previous experience w/ email encryption (on other platforms) was pretty easy, no need to enter any PIN or password.

My email is based totally on Exchange 2007 now, so it's vital that my mail delivery & synching be totally smooth & reliable.

One of the reasons I'm attracted to this phone is that it's vanilla Android, as opposed to Droid/MotoBlur which, by many accounts, royally messed up Exchange ActiveSync.

Jet300

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
If you don't want to enter the PIN number or other security forced by your IT department after every time your phone locks, download Touchdown Exchange from the market. It only asks for the PIN upon first launch of the app after boot up. Its a very slick Exchange app. I have been using it for 2 years now and its regularly updated by the developer. It does push email and you can choose what folders to sync, access your calendar, contacts, appointments, etc... The downside is that after 30 days, you have to buy the app for $19.95.

For me, it was money well spent to not have to enter than PIN each time I swiped to unlock the phone. The fact that it is an excellent Exchange app is icing on the cake. ;)

the901

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
If you don't want to enter the PIN number or other security forced by your IT department after every time your phone locks, download Touchdown Exchange from the market. It only asks for the PIN upon first launch of the app after boot up. Its a very slick Exchange app. I have been using it for 2 years now and its regularly updated by the developer. It does push email and you can choose what folders to sync, access your calendar, contacts, appointments, etc... The downside is that after 30 days, you have to buy the app for $19.95.

For me, it was money well spent to not have to enter than PIN each time I swiped to unlock the phone. The fact that it is an excellent Exchange app is icing on the cake. ;)

Seconded

jdbower

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
Actually, Touchdown is also controlled by IT policy. My PIN expires after ~15 minutes on Touchdown.

Something to consider is that one of the biggest features of Blackberries in Corporate-World is that IT has a lot of control over them since they're generally company-bought phones, something Google has been adding with each new release. It wouldn't surprise me at all if your IT department had the ability to remotely wipe your phone and may do so without your permission in some cases (I know they can wipe my SD card). I like keeping my work phone separate so I carry two phones with me - they're more than welcome to wipe my work phone since it really only has work stuff on it.

A much better solution is VMWare's Horizon Mobile. Here a single phone and data plan can be a standard phone as well as a fully isolated work phone - having IT wipe the virtual machine is again not a problem with me.

Again, just food for thought from someone who relied a little too much on his company-bought phone and now refuses to rely on his personally-bought phone that's under IT control.

theduder

May 9, 2011
Visit site
It never happened before because the OS couldn't support it before. EAS security policies have been around for years, and so has the IT requirement to fully encrypt devices. Most laptops in the Enterprise have been encrypted for many years, along with many families of mobility devices.

Most Exchange admins have to set the policy to permit phones that can't comply 100%. This is why things worked before. The difference now is that your phone is able to comply with more of the security requirements it's getting from Exchange.

It has been a gaping hole to keep so much sensitive data on these handsets unencrypted, so it's good to see it can be done now.

Initial FDE takes hours on a fresh laptop at a minimum, and then only impacts IO 1-2%. Hopefully the Android implementation is speedy, but I guess we'll find out.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech