01-17-2012 01:44 AM
548 ... 202122
tools
    I have the extended battery as well and its barely lasting 4 hours with minimal use
    01-11-2012 06:03 PM
    49% battery left with 31 min of screen time over 22 hours.

I think people really need to start posting their screen on time along with call usage/music playing. Really, are you using the phone or not? I left mine in my coat all day and got phenomal battery life, imagine that!

I get pretty decent batter life and fall down to 14% after about 2:30 hours of the screen being on and browser whoring and data downloading with the regular battery.
    01-11-2012 08:23 PM
    Some of you guys, do you actively use data restriction to help your battery issues.
    01-12-2012 12:16 AM
    My Nexus has been on 44 mins and already down to 85% battery. I'm not sure if i should try to exchange it or if a ROM will help.
    How often are you syncing Twitter, email, etc.?
    01-12-2012 12:53 AM
    Ok, I didn't get a screen grab, but if this keeps up i don't know what to do. I went from 100% battery to 62% in an hour and a half. I had Wifi, 4g, gps turned off. All i did was listen to music stored on the phone for about 20 minutes and watch 30 minutes of video stored on the phone. My screen on time was 39 minutes. What in the hell? I was losing nearly 1% a minute watching video. I have disabled facebook and google+ and really have no idea what else to do to be able to use my phone for more than 2 hours. Engadget's review said they got over 6 hours of video in the same configuration as I did. Mine wouldn't have lasted 2. What is going on?
    Thirty minutes of HD video will eat up your battery.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    01-12-2012 01:29 AM
    I think people really need to start posting their screen on time along with call usage/music playing. Really, are you using the phone or not? I left mine in my coat all day and got phenomal battery life, imagine that!
    Oh yeah? I turned off my phone and turned it on again a day later and I still had 95% left on my battery!
    01-12-2012 01:51 AM
    Thirty minutes of HD video will eat up your battery.

It was standard defintion, but it is besides the point that this is FAR less than a lot of reviews indicate the battery should last. This link from the Engadget review said under similar settings they achieved 6 hours 15 minutes of video time. My phone, which actually had lower screen brightness, would have achieves less than 2 hours. less than 1/3rd of their results. This indicates that something is wrong. Very wrong. My old Droid with a crappy battery got more play time than that. Now I am wondering if I have a defective battery, phone, or if it is the operating system doing the damage.
    01-12-2012 03:11 PM
    Unlocked/rooted my GNex last night and installed the current (1/12/12) version of Bugless Beast ICS 4.03.

I'll give a few days and see how it does. Hated having to wipe the phone, but it was barely useable anyway, so I guess no loss, really.
    01-13-2012 01:27 PM
    Hello,

I have noticed with the extended battery, I can not seem to get it to hit 100%. I charge it up all night (7 hours) either with the device powered on or off, and it remains at 99%.

How can I get it to 100% or does it not matter?

Mike
    01-14-2012 09:43 AM
    It is bad for a battery to charge up to 100%. Most phones will show 100% but are really more like 98% - the Galaxy Nexus is just honest.

So when you see a little less than 100% on another phone it would show 100%

Hello,

I have noticed with the extended battery, I can not seem to get it to hit 100%. I charge it up all night (7 hours) either with the device powered on or off, and it remains at 99%.

Mike
    01-14-2012 10:50 AM
    Click to view quoted image

It appears from the screenshot that your phone is awake 100% of the time. Your battery life is a bit hard to believe if that is true.
    01-14-2012 11:31 AM
    Could you all help me. All of a sudden, my phone is showing being awake all day too. I have a screen shot from about a week ago that shows it only awake at certain times. Battery life was 16-18h that way. Now it's less than 8h and shows awake all the time. I just don't get it. The problem is that I have not installed anything since the new year. What is going on???
    01-16-2012 02:15 AM
    Could you all help me. All of a sudden, my phone is showing being awake all day too. I have a screen shot from about a week ago that shows it only awake at certain times. Battery life was 16-18h that way. Now it's less than 8h and shows awake all the time. I just don't get it. The problem is that I have not installed anything since the new year. What is going on???
    I'm assuming that you mean that your Android os is awake all the time now. When this happened to me a cycled my battery (drained from 100-0, then let it charge while off to 100%) The next day my battery was back to normal. Please report back if this fixes your issue.

01-16-2012 07:32 AM
    Have cycled the battery probably 4 or 5 times now. Here's my typical weekday usage from roughly 6:30am - 6pm.

Usage
    ~45 minute commute to work during which I'll briefly check FB and Twitter, check out unread items in Google Reader and read/delete a handful of emails (Gmail). Maybe a few minutes surfing.

While at work, phone sits mostly unused on my desk, with the exception of a few random checks of Gmail or text messages.

~60 minute commute home. Same use as morning commute, plus streaming iHeartRadio and some light web browsing.

Settings
    Completely Stock; Standard Battery
    Wifi: OFF
    BT: OFF
    NFC: OFF
    GPS: OFF
    Google Location Services: ON
    4G: OFF
    Brightness: ~10%
    Syncing 2 gmail accounts
    Facebook auto sync: OFF (manual refresh)
    Twitter auto sync: OFF (manual refresh)
    Stock news & weather widget refresh every 3 hours
    Words With Friends: Background Notifications refresh every 1 hour

Battery down to 51% after just under 12 hours, but only 47 minutes of screen on time. Oddly enough iHeartRadio didn't show on list of battery uses.
    How do you change the background notifications refresh on Words...when i try and pull up settings on words with friends nothing happens
    01-16-2012 09:47 AM
    I'm assuming that you mean that your Android os is awake all the time now. When this happened to me a cycled my battery (drained from 100-0, then let it charge while off to 100%) The next day my battery was back to normal. Please report back if this fixes your issue.

Great. Did that last night so I will report back. Also went through my apps and took out auto updates. And rebooted the phone. We will see. So far 18 min of use and down to 85%, which doesn't seem right to me either...

01-16-2012 12:03 PM
    Hello,

Mike
    I dropped my extended in my Nexus yesterday. Charged it last night and it registered 100% this morning. Not sure why yours doesn't and mine does.
    01-16-2012 05:39 PM
    What I have found interesting, I installed Llama the other day..... and it shows me which cells towers are being used. Now at home I notice my battery life is better than when I'm at work. When I look at the cell tower info in Llama I can see a pretty constant change in the cell towers, even when I'm sitting at my desk all day. At home my cell tower rarely changes, I can actually drive around for several blocks before my cell tower changes.

So it would be interesting to see if those who are having battery life problems are seeing similar type of cell tower issues (where the phone is constantly polling and changing the cell tower it's connected to). See if there's a pattern or not. I'm probably wrong as I'm no expert on cell technology, but seems reasonable that if you phone is nearly constantly switching and authenticating cell towers during the day it has to have an impact on the battery life.
    01-16-2012 05:45 PM
    I have been consistently seeing higher than expected screen on as well as OS Keep Awake time, compared to my actual usage. I've been through about 70% standard battery in 6.5 hours with relatively light use, a few texts, check emails, light web browsing. I have screen timeout at 15 seconds and estimate I used the phone less than 30 minutes during this period. My screen shows 1 hr, 8 minutes on and my OS Awake time is 2 hour 25 minutes (CPU Totat 33 minutes).

Both of these seem to be drastically more than my actual usage. I have tried various applications, System Tuner, Watchdog and CPU spy over the last two weeks (period of poor battery) and I just don't know enough to effectively analyze what may be going on. The only takeaway I have that seems interesting is it shows my CPU in the 350MHz state for 24% of the time over the last 15 hours. Much of that was overnight when I wasn't doing anything. Something seems to be keeping the phone awake (albeit at the lowest CPU level).

"Where's my Droid Power" doesn't show any applications using more than about 3% (Nova Launcher and Swype). Big users are of course Screen 45% and OS 23%.

Phone is stock, unrooted 4.02. Any thoughts on how I diagnose what is going on. Keep in mind I'm 50 years old and probably more senile that I am tech savvy at this point.
    01-16-2012 05:57 PM
    Hmmm, I am apparently back to normal on my "always on" problem. I went through every single one of my downloaded programs and disabled the autoupdate. I also drained the battery down to 0 as recommended above and then recharged to 100%. I did a battery pull after that. Now my usage is back to normal, as is my battery life. I will post pix when my battery finally dies.

Very strange because 2 days ago my bar was a solid blue for the phone showing being active (all day and all night). Now it's sporadic like my use of the phone is....

Something is not right but it seems that I was able to kill whatever was keeping my phone "active" even though obviously my screen was off and I was not using the phone about 80% of the time...

Katherine
    01-17-2012 12:20 AM
    You should download Watchdog. I will alert you when an app is out of control.
    01-17-2012 12:22 AM
    I think I am getting better battery life from my standard battery than from my extended. I went to CES last week and started each day with a fully charged extended battery in my Nexus and my standard fully charged as a spare. Clearly I was using the heck out of the phone, taking pictures, googling, messaging over 4g. I was replacing the extended after around five hours. Day three I forgot to change back to the extended and went to the show with only the standard battery. It lasted all day! I was punishing it too. I will be doing some tests, but has anyone else noticed this?
    01-17-2012 12:37 AM
    No but I get basically the same out of the extended and the regular! So much for extending...

Thank goodness this is the first extended battery with a good profile on the phone and no significant weight added. Otherwise I would send it back in a heartbeat.
    01-17-2012 01:01 AM
    I think I am getting better battery life from my standard battery than from my extended. I went to CES last week and started each day with a fully charged extended battery in my Nexus and my standard fully charged as a spare. Clearly I was using the heck out of the phone, taking pictures, googling, messaging over 4g. I was replacing the extended after around five hours. Day three I forgot to change back to the extended and went to the show with only the standard battery. It lasted all day! I was punishing it too. I will be doing some tests, but has anyone else noticed this?
    When I first installed the extended battery the above seemed to be what was happening to me too. I switched back to the standard battery. But, I decided to try the extended battery again. When I installed the extended battery again, I have been getting an amazing amount of time out of the thing with regular use of the phone.
    01-17-2012 01:44 AM
548 ... 202122
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD