Wanted to love this phone, but walked out without one

mpetruzz

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
I have a jailbroken iPhone 4 and have never thought of switching until I started reading about the GN. I've been waiting to use my upgrade until it was released. So today I walked into my local VZ store and started playing with the GN. I was unimpressed.

First off it felt extremely cheap and the screen didn't blow me away as much as the rezound or my iPhone. I have a 6 year old daughter so I do use my camera quite a bit. The 5 megapixels didn't scare me too much since that is what I have in my iPhone. But when I started snapping some pics and comparing them to my iPhone my jaw hit the floor!! How can the new flagship Google phone have such a horrid camera!!! I'm not looking to replace my Nikon, but holy were they bad!!!

So I ended up walking out of the store and now am contemplating whether or not I will get this phone. I do like to change my theme/Rom and I know this is going to have quite a few options for that. But honestly the poor camera is a dealbreaker for me.

Maybe there can be some upgrades via software down the line??? For now it looks like I'm sticking with my iPhone.

Reactions: irishleo

VideoEngineerAJS

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm sure they can do some software upgrades for the camera. I personally couldn't wait because I'm giving my Thunderbolt to my mom when I go to Ohio next weekend for Christmas. I hardly ever use my camera anyway and I'm used to being an early adopter so I take the bad along with the good pretty well.

thevaristy

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
Most of the pics I have seen taken with it have white balance issues. This is easily corrected in settings or by update.

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
I felt the same way. Almost all the photos I took with the demo model came out fuzzy and out of focus. Almost, but not quite as bad as my old 3GS which is nearly worthless as a camera. Now considering the Rezound instead. Will probably go back and play with them both again before making a final decision.

Reactions: irishleo

mpetruzz

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
Most of the pics I have seen taken with it have white balance issues. This is easily corrected in settings or by update.

I played with the settings for quite a while and it didn't matter. Pictures looked dark and out of focus no matter what I tried.

I'm really hoping this will be addressed via software updates because I'm ready to dump the iPhone!!!

Unfortunately for me, the camera is an important feature I use quite a bit on my phone. If nothing happens soon I'll probably go with the ReZound.

irishleo

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
I agree 100%. I have a 4S right now. Went to VZ with full intentions of getting the GN. I ordered the Razr 2 days ago just to give it a test drive for a month. My biggest compliant about the phone was the camera and speak volume/quality. I took COUNTLESS pics on my 4S and the are in another league compared to the GN. When I realized the GN wasn't going to compare to much to the 4S, I compared the GN to the Razr. Maybe it's just me, but I thought the screen over all was better on the Razr. Picutes were also better on the Razr but still not as good as my current 4S. I love the 4S but the screen size and no Jailbreak is killing me. You Tube also sucks bad on the 4S.........Hummmm, not what I expected....:-\

Kunji

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I agree 100%. I have a 4S right now. Went to VZ with full intentions of getting the GN. I ordered the Razr 2 days ago just to give it a test drive for a month. My biggest compliant about the phone was the camera and speak volume/quality. I took COUNTLESS pics on my 4S and the are in another league compared to the GN. When I realized the GN wasn't going to compare to much to the 4S, I compared the GN to the Razr. Maybe it's just me, but I thought the screen over all was better on the Razr. Picutes were also better on the Razr but still not as good as my current 4S. I love the 4S but the screen size and no Jailbreak is killing me. You Tube also sucks bad on the 4S.........Hummmm, not what I expected....:-\

well this doesn't help me :confused: i've been using the Razr for over two weeks now and i am having a hard time giving it up to get the gnex which was my original intention. if my Razr had my wife's rezound screen i'd keep the razr but alas i'm torn. i've got a gnex waiting for me after work...what to do :)

BiNGE

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm surprised with the OP's statements, but when coming from an iPhone to an A-device everything is going to be up against some sort of high standard. There are some people who make-up the standard to be too high for the quality of their iDevice, but I can sympathize with the OP on one thing. There anti-shake and that is something a few phones have which improve the quality of the shot. I've not had any problems with lighting or focus with the G-Nex, but to need a tri-pod/steady fence to lean on is not a great selling point for this phone.

That is the only part of the phone I find flawed. Speed, build quality, screen legibility/refreshrate, and software experience make this a wonderful phone. If glass and aluminum are the only materials a phone can be made out of then why do so many iphone users buy cases? The contour of the screen on the nexus is an attractive quality. External contacts for easy rest charging docks? Nice. Grab friendly curves are a definite plus.

What this comes down to is that there are cheap but effective materials used in the construction. Do these plastics really spell out a bad user experience? I know I don't flip my phone on it's back to stare at the back-cover while waiting for my next call/text. It's maybe a bad first impression the OP got, but seriously the reaction has to be a matter of taste. There have been no complaints from any of my customers with respect to this phone. 8 walked out with device in hand today and thanked me for showing them all of the alternatives as well.

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
When taking the pictures were you selecting what to focus on? I find that helps

It helps a bit but they make it unwieldy to do so you've got to hold the large device and find a way to both get a finger to hit exactly what you want to focus on and hit the tiny shutter button all nearly simultaneously. I know this is a general problem with most smartphones, but this one just seems to work worse than most, at least most released within the past 6 months. Maybe this is something that can/will be fixed through 3rd-party software though. It seems like it should be possible to have the camera autofocus when you hit the shutter button. Virtually every point and shoot camera does this. The near negligible shutter lag is awesome, but it's not worth it if all your pictures come out blurry.

edgefever

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I have a T Bolt, went to buy it,after playing with it for a while I decided to hold off for now. I just didn't get that i have to get this thing feeling

nkd

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I have a T Bolt, went to buy it,after playing with it for a while I decided to hold off for now. I just didn't get that i have to get this thing feeling

LOL, lets see if nothing can get you off the thunderbolt than I don't think you really are going to like anything. Thunderbolt was the worst phone i have ever tried, light leakage, horrible battery life, 4g connection drops ( this could be due to new 4g launch). Only thing I liked about it was sense and the screen was pretty nice, other than that, it was probably the most overpriced peace of technology I ever bought.

There are way better choice than thunderbolt out there. If you liked the thunderbolt you shouldn't have a hard time liking the rezound, razr or galaxy.

delta7

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
GN is more for hardcore android fans like the other dude said.

It's not going to be a popular phone for noobs or for just casual smartphone users, it's meant to be used to it's fullest potential.

It's not the phone for me regardless, a bit too big and poor camera and i don't care for samsung phones, I'm waiting for something else.

Reactions: cinnamin

demarco5

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
a tester on droidforums.net said the droid 4 camera is better then the razr so im waiting for the droid 4.....plus its smaller not as wide as razr