Transferring Pictures/Photos

philly

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
re: Notifications & Ringtone Volume Low?

oh ya one more thing, how do i get all my pics from my old phone into the nexus since there is no sd card?

good question.. this is supposedly a feature.. (wow we sound like iphone fanboys now).. they pretty much tighten up the phone and it costs us.. no idea why we cant use USB mass storage and just drag and drop.. or swap out the SD card.

DrPancake

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site

oh ya one more thing, how do i get all my pics from my old phone into the nexus since there is no sd card?

put them in your dropbox(cloud storage), google photos(u can sync your photos with google i think), email them to yourself, transfer to computer then to phone... i use dropbox

panitsos

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site

sorry i dont know what a drop box is. do i have to transfer all my pics and videos and songs from my tbolt on my computer and then transfer from there? thats alot of work, sux theres no sd card on this phone

Terrigno

Italiano Papi
Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
sorry i dont know what a drop box is. do i have to transfer all my pics and videos and songs from my tbolt on my computer and then transfer from there? thats alot of work, sux theres no sd card on this phone

Yes you will. Its a lot of work but just transfer your stuff onto the PC. I will agree though, the sounds are low. I wished they were higher.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Reactions: panitsos

cstmstyle

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site

good question.. this is supposedly a feature.. (wow we sound like iphone fanboys now).. they pretty much tighten up the phone and it costs us.. no idea why we cant use USB mass storage and just drag and drop.. or swap out the SD card.

You can plug your phone in to your computer and drag and drop into the folder that opens in windows. Works just fine for me. Of course your media needs to be on your computer in the first place but thats easy too if its not.

iBowToAndroid

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Re: Notifications & Ringtone Volume Low?

You can still do drag and drop. It works even easier now - no need to change anything or choose a setting on the device.

Just plug in and choose "View files" from the Windows dialog that pops up

xsfspd

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site

You can still do drag and drop. It works even easier now - no need to change anything or choose a setting on the device.

Just plug in and choose "View files" from the Windows dialog that pops up

Maybe someone can help me with this. When I first tried to move some pictures over it worked fine. Now anytime I try to move ANYTHING from my PC to that phone it just hangs. It might move 2 pics but then just stops responding. Anyone else see that issue?

Edit: Have tried this on 2 PCs now and same thing it just hangs and copies nothing at all. This is a real PITA!

Last edited:

mhaugen99

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site

Maybe someone can help me with this. When I first tried to move some pictures over it worked fine. Now anytime I try to move ANYTHING from my PC to that phone it just hangs. It might move 2 pics but then just stops responding. Anyone else see that issue
Edit: Have tried this on 2 PCs now and same thing it just hangs and copies nothing at all. This is a real PITA!

I am having the same issue. Cloud server solution works but is very time consuming. This is a huge pain.

nate3382

Feb 6, 2010
Visit site
Just figured it out, change the nexus to the camera option (connect as camera under usb options) and it will install more drivers and work just fine. If you don't know where to do this at, just pull down the screen at the top and after the phone is hooked up to your computer and change from media device to camera

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Since everything is becoming cloud based, it's good to move your pictures to a program like picasa that can sync with your google account and then when you switch to another just download. I got my music and pics without hooking to the computer via google music and picasa.

xsfspd

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
**** I posted what I found on this transfer in another thread so though I would add it here hope it helps someone. I know I am much happier knowing this now.

OK I ***THINK*** I have the issue figured out! For me at least I hope this helps. I feel dumb!!!
I was trying to copy pictures to the DCIM/Camera folder which results in the transfer hanging every time!
I was able to just drag and drop with NO problems to subfolders I created in the PICTURES folder off the root dir. Try this it should take care of any issues. Also when I try to sync HD .3gp files from my Tbolt through Media Player it says it cant do it because the phone can't play the format. In this case just drag and drop those files in the "Movies" dir off the root dir and they play like a champ!!! Also this is done with MTP so it is perfectly fast!

Simply put you can copy out of the DCIM folder but NOT into it. Not sure if that was posted before but now I finally know and hate my phone less!

Now if I would only get voicemail notifications!!!

Reactions: ambrodsky

tjubb

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I too have this issue. I'm trying to dump all the media files from my Thunderbolt's sd card. It seems the larger folders eventually fail midstream. Small folders seem to copy ok. I've tried all the various tips and all fail at some point during the copy/transfer.

VERY annoying. What should have been a fairly quick project to transfer my data has turned into 12 hours of misery. Why is this such an ordeal?

xsfspd

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
I put all of my DX notifications in my Notifications folder on my Nexus and voila - problem solved! I do use YouMail, tho...

No I mean I get a voicemail and like the old original Tbolt Froyo update that got pulled the phone never tells me I have a voicemail at all. So I call my voicemail and it says "you have 19 new messages!" because I had no idea I had any at all.

****Edit: Never mind the notifications JUST now started showing up for voicemail. All is well in my GN world now!

Last edited:

iBowToAndroid

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
**** I posted what I found on this transfer in another thread so though I would add it here hope it helps someone. I know I am much happier knowing this now.

OK I ***THINK*** I have the issue figured out! For me at least I hope this helps. I feel dumb!!!
I was trying to copy pictures to the DCIM/Camera folder which results in the transfer hanging every time!
I was able to just drag and drop with NO problems to subfolders I created in the PICTURES folder off the root dir. Try this it should take care of any issues. Also when I try to sync HD .3gp files from my Tbolt through Media Player it says it cant do it because the phone can't play the format. In this case just drag and drop those files in the "Movies" dir off the root dir and they play like a champ!!! Also this is done with MTP so it is perfectly fast!

Simply put you can copy out of the DCIM folder but NOT into it. Not sure if that was posted before but now I finally know and hate my phone less!

Now if I would only get voicemail notifications!!!

You, sir, are THE MAN!!! (...woman...??) haha

Thank you!!

rayj2B

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
If you have a MAC you will have to download Android File Transfer to share music, videos, photos, etc to the Nexus. Works same as on a PC drag and drop from MAC or PC to the folder on the Nexus File Transfer on the phone. Works great!

ambrodsky

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the tips. It worked like a charm for my photos. But I couldn't get anything like music or movies into those other folders. Tried exactly like you suggested. Thoughts?

CFD323

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Just figured it out, change the nexus to the camera option (connect as camera under usb options) and it will install more drivers and work just fine. If you don't know where to do this at, just pull down the screen at the top and after the phone is hooked up to your computer and change from media device to camera

I did this and it worked for 1 file, but when I chose to transfer more files to my wallpapers folder on the phone, it stopped working. Just keeps hanging....any ideas?

I've resorted to emailing pics and then moving them where I want them but it's a big pain to do it that way. I want to be able to drag & drop everything

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol