Google Search App on screens - Can it be removed?

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
So, I like the functionality of it, but it doesn't need to be that big huge bar across the top. Is there a smaller option that does all of that? I have Vlingo from my Fascinate, but I'd rather do it natively with the google stuff if possible.

ggiedd

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
That kills it completely. I would like a way to remove it from some of the screens and maybe keep it on one. I wonder if disabling it also disables other search functions with the other apps too. Guess I could try and see, but I dont think this is the solution I was looking for.
I do thank you for finding that though. Good to know where to do that at now.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Why oh why did they have to make the thing so darn big!!! Didn't need to be a 4x1. 1x1 would have been great.

Vance14

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
What would do the trick is the Voice Search app, as is available for other phones. I used this all the time in place of the Google Search bar on my other phones. BUT, even though my phone seems to think it is installed, and I have gone through the installation process, it is nowhere to be found in the app tray. This is very annoying since I can't get rid of that bar until I can get something to replace it!

mully

Dec 16, 2009
Visit site
I've now noticed that once you remove it, the screen space where it was is now dead space. You can't place any icons there. Silly!

wtherrell

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
Is there a way to remove the Google Search on the top of every screen?

Thanks!
Why? The bar is wide enough to see search text you enter without having to scroll back and forth. Also, this does not appear on my Launcher Pro screens where I just use the search widget.

kath00

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
You can disable it. Go to Apps>Google Search and disable.

Thanks for the help. I disabled it and STILL can't use that real estate on the screen to put widgets or anything up there. Now I just have blank space there. Almost would prefer the google search bar. ARGH.

Oj467

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I hope google removes it or makes it an option In a future update AND gives us back that real estate. Its almost like VZW sticking backup assistant or my Verizon on it. It is a Nexus device after all.

DaPoets

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
how do you bring the search bar back after you disable it?

edit: nvm it's at the very bottom of the "All" list, it's not in alphabetical order anymore.

Last edited:

revickulous2001

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
The search bar is awesome. It is amazingly useful if you actually use it. Most people never really used the search feature to its full potential. They just forgot about it and went the long way around. Plus the voice commands are great. The new voice speech recognition system is outstanding. And they will likely be launching their "Siri clone" in January. So it will just get that much better.

Laramie

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
The search bar is awesome. It is amazingly useful if you actually use it. Most people never really used the search feature to its full potential. They just forgot about it and went the long way around. Plus the voice commands are great. The new voice speech recognition system is outstanding. And they will likely be launching their "Siri clone" in January. So it will just get that much better.

Agreed. I often forget about it but it is very handy.