Neat Idea for those coming from an OG Droid

kamek89

Dec 5, 2009
Visit site
Hey guys, so I got my Nexus just like many of you here. I am going to be buying a landscape dock to make use of the charging "dots". I did have a dock for my OG Droid and I was sitting wondering if there is anything I can do with it to make it useful for the Nexus.

Well I found that the Nexus fits nicely when placed vertically into the OG Droid dock. There was just one little problem. the USB port sticking out of the dock needed to be flipped over.

If you have some time and want to do this it is nice and simple although I did crack a few things inside because I didn't know where all of the screws were. You don't have to worry about that since I already went through the trouble.

Below is a step-by-step on how to get this done.

Things you will need:
1. T-8 Torx Screwdriver
2. Another screwdriver that is a little smaller than the T-8. I used a very small normal screwdriver so I don't know the exact size
3. A knife or filer

First you need to take the 2 pads off the sides as well as the giant "sticker" in the center which I didn't know was a sticker and that it had screw underneath(or just poke holes in the areas shown.) The screws are marked with the red dots. Use the T-8 Screwdriver to unscrew these.

This is how it will look inside. You need to use the smaller screwdriver to unscrew the screws that are circled in red. You will than be able to take the cable out.

Next you need to take a knife or a filer and make the hole a little wider. Once you do so you can put the cable back in. The metal part that you unscrewed can be simply flipped around instead of bending it. (you will know what I mean when you get to it)

Final, here is how it will look when it's all said and done

Let me know if you need any help :)

abausch

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
The only bummer is that the headphone jack is on the bottom of the Nexus. I used to listen to podcasts at work while my OG was in the charger dock...that won't work with the Nexus.

hyperdude

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
What do you know, one of the several screwdriver bits I've got with this small screwdriver set I got last Christmas is a T-8. Taking my dock apart as I'm typing this.

Update: Thanks for the guide, kamek89. Got my dock modded and it's working fine. I just wish the dock was deep enough to accommodate having the Verizon case on it. Oh well though.

Last edited:

captaincaveman

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I just did this, and it seems to work great!

The only thing though...the screws holding mine together were T-6...not T-8. I don't know if they changed them at some point during production or what. Keep that in mind that you may need the other size.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21