MAC Address changed

cbwx34

May 14, 2011
Visit site
I use MAC address filtering on my router. Yesterday, I set up the Nexus, and it connected fine. This a.m., it wouldn't connect (kept saying "Obtaining IP address" but never would). I was looking thru the various settings and discovered the MAC address had changed. Not just a little (so I didn't write it down wrong)... the last three sections were completely different.

Entered the new MAC address, and it connected fine.

I didn't think the MAC address could change, I thought it was assigned to the phone. Never seen it before. Maybe someone can explain this?

Anyway, if you use MAC filtering, and can no longer connect... something to look at.

cbwx34

May 14, 2011
Visit site
I confirmed this... I restarted the phone, and once again, the WiFi MAC address had changed.

I'd appreciate if some of you could look at your MAC address, restart your phone, and see if it's different?

Thanks

cbwx34

May 14, 2011
Visit site
Solved... after going thru Samsung Tech Support... it was a hardware issue, so I went and got another phone.

Mucho better!!!

lakaw

May 5, 2011
Visit site
Having this issue as well. That and the volume rocker is way loose. sound like the phone is falling apart when it vibrates... Going to get an exchange... :-\

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Same issue here.

MAC when I first got the phone was 2C-44-01-C7-6F-77. It then has since in the last five days been randomizing itself each reboot. It always starts with 00:90:4c now, and the last three octets are different each time. This happens without even being associated to any wireless access point, so it's not a WAP causing this.

This happens stock 4.0.2, and even did a factory reset as well, same results. I've contacted Samsung since I am out my 30 day VZW window, and they stated "this is normal, MAC will change to make sure your signal strength remains at a good level"...MAC's are NOT supposed to change, and I've never heard of one changing on its own. This is a first, and I can't tell you how many wireless devices I've worked with working in IT.

I'm calling back to speak to Level 2 Samsung Advanced Support about this today, so we'll see what happens.

CrazyRussian007

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Here is what I've read on other forums from a an avid kernel developer about the MAC/Samsung/Google: there is a code in kernel to actually use a random generated MAC addresses. He even posted a code snippet from the Google image. It appears that instead of buying a range for MAC addresses and assigning each phone with one, Samsung/Google used a MAC generator for the use on the phone. I dont know if it was financial decision or technical.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sem173