Anyone aware of a way to force EVDO Rev. A over the ehrpd? I just wanted to see if it made a difference in my signal strength as I live in a non-4g area during school. My Droid X has a consistently much better signal strength and is on EVDO and the Nexus says ehrpd:13.
    gerroid likes this.
    12-16-2011 04:59 PM
    Anyone aware of a way to force EVDO Rev. A over the ehrpd? I just wanted to see if it made a difference in my signal strength as I live in a non-4g area during school. My Droid X has a consistently much better signal strength and is on EVDO and the Nexus says ehrpd:13.
    If you disable it, you won't have 3G service.
    12-16-2011 05:00 PM
    So ehprd is evdo a? Just a fancy handshake term for 3g to 4g?
    12-16-2011 05:19 PM
    So ehprd is evdo a? Just a fancy handshake term for 3g to 4g?
    Very long story short: Its the compatibility layer that allows LTE phones to be backwards compatible with EVDO/CDMA. That's why when the 4G network goes down, most 4G users end up being forced back to 1x.
    12-16-2011 06:57 PM
    Very long story short: Its the compatibility layer that allows LTE phones to be backwards compatible with EVDO/CDMA. That's why when the 4G network goes down, most 4G users end up being forced back to 1x.
    Sorry, still a little confused. Will it always show ehprd:13 if I'm in a LTE or 3G area? Is it possible to just force 3G, and I'd assume it is it would probably change from ehprd to EVDO/CDMA?

It's not like ehprd is a separate standard... if I'm not mistaken?
    12-16-2011 08:10 PM
    Sorry, still a little confused. Will it always show ehprd:13 if I'm in a LTE or 3G area? Is it possible to just force 3G, and I'd assume it is it would probably change from ehprd to EVDO/CDMA?

It's not like ehprd is a separate standard... if I'm not mistaken?
    EHRPD will show whenever you are on 3G. When you are connected to LTE, it will show LTE: 14. You will NEVER see it display EVDO/CDMA in the Network Type.
    pprichar likes this.
    12-16-2011 08:32 PM
    So you're saying you want to force it to 3G only when you're at school? Settings>Wireless and Networks (More...)>Mobile Networks>Network Mode>CDMA
    pprichar likes this.
    12-16-2011 09:03 PM
    Thanks guys, it's set as that now
    12-16-2011 10:05 PM
    No, but on a serious note, how do you actually disable eHRPD on GN? I used to do it on my Thunderbolt using the simple dialer shortcut, and I don't mind falling back to 1x if I have to.

Thanks.
    01-01-2012 04:08 PM
    EHRPD will show whenever you are on 3G. When you are connected to LTE, it will show LTE: 14. You will NEVER see it display EVDO/CDMA in the Network Type.
    Not true. During the outage the other day, many of us actually saw EVDo Rev A, where normally it says eHRPD. I guess this came when Verizon "forced" the 4G phones to 3G.
    01-01-2012 04:41 PM
    Also not true. On the Thunderbolt, dialing ##778# brings you to a menu that allows you to switch the 3G modem to Rev A instead of eHRPD. During one of the first 4G outages, where the Bolt was the only LTE phone that VZW had out, this was the only way to get data. Verizon customer service reps were actually instructing some subscribers to do this.

I, like the op, am searching for a way to do this on the SGN. I noticed that my 3G dbm did go up about ten points, during the last outage, when my phone switched to Rev A.
    01-01-2012 04:44 PM
    Also not true. On the Thunderbolt, dialing ##778# brings you to a menu that allows you to switch the 3G modem to Rev A instead of eHRPD. During one of the first 4G outages, where the Bolt was the only LTE phone that VZW had out, this was the only way to get data. Verizon customer service reps were actually instructing some subscribers to do this.

I, like the op, am searching for a way to do this on the SGN. I noticed that my 3G dbm did go up about ten points, during the last outage, when my phone switched to Rev A.
    Absolutely true. The service menu option gave u the control to force evdo rev.a on thunderbolt. No one seems to have focused on that on GN. The modem certainly supports that mode. It seems when lte goes down the phone doesn't default back to evdo, Verizon does it at their end.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    01-01-2012 04:54 PM

On the nexus it will. The option does not exist. The only way for a nexus to connect directly to EVDO is if Verizon forces it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    01-01-2012 05:25 PM
    Not true. During the outage the other day, many of us actually saw EVDo Rev A, where normally it says eHRPD. I guess this came when Verizon "forced" the 4G phones to 3G.
    Most certainly is true. The only reason you saw EVDO is because Verizon decided to bypass EHRPD to force 4g phones onto EVDO. you will never see it during normal usage.

Tom in Bristol likes this.
    01-01-2012 05:27 PM
    Most certainly is true. The only reason you saw EVDO is because Verizon decided to bypass EHRPD to force 4g phones onto EVDO. you will never see it during normal usage.

Sorry to bring this back, but this is false. eHRPD acts as a handshake between *1X* and LTE. Not 3G. 3G is ONLY an EvDO technology. eHRPD can fall back on EvDO if it can't handshake between 1X and LTE, but it will still show it as eHRPD. When you're on 3G, you're on Rev. A, not eHRPD.

Fun fact, Rev. A can handoff to LTE if eHRPD is down. It's happened to people during the last outage.
    01-20-2012 04:55 PM
    Sorry to bring this back, but this is false. eHRPD acts as a handshake between *1X* and LTE. Not 3G. 3G is ONLY an EvDO technology. eHRPD can fall back on EvDO if it can't handshake between 1X and LTE, but it will still show it as eHRPD. When you're on 3G, you're on Rev. A, not eHRPD.

Fun fact, Rev. A can handoff to LTE if eHRPD is down. It's happened to people during the last outage.
    That's not true, mainly because you didn't actually read what was posted. Of course its connected through EVDO. But LTE handsets don't connect directly to it. They connect to the EHRPD system, which is the compatibility layer for 3G on 4G devices.

And NO, EHRPD cannot fall back to showing EVDO unless Verizon itself does it. Unless verizon forces users to connect directly to EVDO (as they did during the last outage), a 4G user will NEVER see straight EVDO.
    01-20-2012 06:17 PM
    That's not true, mainly because you didn't actually read what was posted. Of course its connected through EVDO. But LTE handsets don't connect directly to it. They connect to the EHRPD system, which is the compatibility layer for 3G on 4G devices.

And NO, EHRPD cannot fall back to showing EVDO unless Verizon itself does it. Unless verizon forces users to connect directly to EVDO (as they did during the last outage), a 4G user will NEVER see straight EVDO.

Not true. I know for a fact that you can force the Thunderbolt to EVDO. ##778# then go to modem settings then go to Rev A and switch it to enable instead of ehrpd. It causes the handshake between 3 and 4 G to slow down, but during the 4G outages, it helps the phone to fall back to 3G before verizon forces it.
    The op is looking for a way to do the same on this phone.
    01-20-2012 09:16 PM
    Not true. I know for a fact that you can force the Thunderbolt to EVDO. ##778# then go to modem settings then go to Rev A and switch it to enable instead of ehrpd. It causes the handshake between 3 and 4 G to slow down, but during the 4G outages, it helps the phone to fall back to 3G before verizon forces it.
    The op is looking for a way to do the same on this phone.
    Look. We've been over this at least half a dozen times in this thread. You were wrong. Accept it and move on.
    01-20-2012 09:18 PM
    Look. We've been over this at least half a dozen times in this thread. You were wrong. Accept it and move on.
    Here is the truth. I decided to throw my sim in my thunderbolt and o some speed tests.

Nexus on EHRPD: 200-400kb down and 350-700kb up
    Thunderbolt on EHRPD: Basically the same
    Thunderbolt on EVDO REV. O: 900-1100kb down and 100-200kb up: So large download difference
    Thunderbolt on EVDO REV. A: Same as EHRPD on both phones so clearly verizon has integrated ehrpd with its rev. a network which is weird but I do not understand why my speeds are so slow but on REV. O which is an old technology it blows the doors off the others? Any idea why 3g would be so slow?
    01-21-2012 11:32 AM
    Go into phone dialer and dial *#*#4636#*#* and you can set radio options to what you want including 4g only if you wish.
    01-21-2012 09:53 PM
    I'm not sure why Droid800 is saying I'm wrong when the information I've stated is almost common knowledge, in the thunderbolt world. A simple Google search will yield that information. I took the liberty of taking some screenshots on my Thunderbolt tonight, to show that forcing Rev. A is possible.

In the first shot you can see the phone is on eHRPD, and in the second shot there is a speed test. The third shot shows the setting menu where Rev. A can be forced. The fourh shot shows the phone on Rev. A and the fifth shows a speed test. Notice that both speed tests are using the same server, yet the Rev. A instance is faster.

Again, the original point of this thread was to find out if it is possible to force the GNex to Rev. A. If you don't believe that it is possible for the user to do that on any Verizon LTE phone, despite this evidence, then I don't know what to tell you. I, and many others, know for a fact that it is possible on the Thunderbolt, however, no one has published a way to do it on the GNex. I'm sure there is a way to do it, but it isn't yet public knowledge. I hope some dev figures it out and lets us know.
    01-21-2012 10:15 PM
    I'm not sure why Droid800 is saying I'm wrong when the information I've stated is almost common knowledge, in the thunderbolt world. A simple Google search will yield that information. I took the liberty of taking some screenshots on my Thunderbolt tonight, to show that forcing Rev. A is possible.

In the first shot you can see the phone is on eHRPD, and in the second shot there is a speed test. The third shot shows the setting menu where Rev. A can be forced. The fourh shot shows the phone on Rev. A and the fifth shows a speed test. Notice that both speed tests are using the same server, yet the Rev. A instance is faster.

Again, the original point of this thread was to find out if it is possible to force the GNex to Rev. A. If you don't believe that it is possible for the user to do that on any Verizon LTE phone, despite this evidence, then I don't know what to tell you. I, and many others, know for a fact that it is possible on the Thunderbolt, however, no one has published a way to do it on the GNex. I'm sure there is a way to do it, but it isn't yet public knowledge. I hope some dev figures it out and lets us know.
    Rhetorical question: can you do it on any phone except the thunderbolt?

No, you can't. So yes, you are completely and totally wrong.

01-21-2012 10:34 PM
    Rhetorical question: can you do it on any phone except the thunderbolt?

No, you can't. So yes, you are completely and totally wrong.

I never said you can do it on any phone besides the thunderbolt. The whole point of this thread was the OP asking if it was possible on the Nexus. You responded to the op stating that it wasn't possible on ANY phone. Others and myself chimed in to tell you that it is, in fact, possible on the thunderbolt, and you are blatantly telling us that we are wrong. You my friend are wrong. It is possible to force a Verizon 4G phone to Rev. A. Is it possible to do so on the Nexus? As of this moment, no it is not.
    01-22-2012 09:01 AM
    last night my gnex switched to EVDO REV A after being on HRPD for 6 months. My 3g speeds almost doubled on the EVDO. This morning it was still on the EVDO, but after reboot, now i'm back on the HRPD.

How do I force the EVDO REV A again? i was getting much better speeds. i live in a 4g area, but have been playing with keeping it off for batttery savings
    05-25-2012 12:55 PM
    Join XDA and search or just google BIGBRUSHDOG cdma tools and if your rooted BAM complete control.
    04-25-2013 01:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD