WIFI HotSpot w/out a plan CONFIRMED TO WORK! No root needed.

eikphoto

Nov 12, 2011
Visit site
There is an app in the market called Wifi Hotspot and USB Tether.
a6f98799-0d86-0ccf.jpg

Install, and enjoy. That simple!
a6f98799-0e32-52b4.jpg

I bought this when I had the Droid Charge and I was extremely pleased it works with my Nexus.

As some have asked, I am not rooted.

I'm the developer of this app, so thanks to the OP and to Android Central for helping to publicize it, I really appreciate it!

I have never heard of any user incurring charges from the carrier for using this app.

On some phones, with some carriers, there is software that redirects all traffic to the carrier's home page, encouraging you to sign up for the hotspot plan, but if you don't choose to sign up, then they don't bill you.
From what I've been told, this app works fine with Galaxy Nexus (traffic is not redirected).
However, it is always possible that some time in the future, a carrier may block the app.

Happy Holidays,
Doug

Search Android Market for "Wifi Hotspot and USB Tether" by SVTP or follow these links:

Paid Version $9.99 - 5 day money-back guarantee
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.svtechpartners.wifihotspot

Free Trial - 2 days
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.svtechpartners.wifihotspotdemo

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Last edited:

JoeNM84

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Re: WIFI HotSpot w/out a plan CONFIRMED TO WORK!

I'll have to remember this if I ever need it... or if 4G actually reaches my area. I'm like 15-20 miles away from coverage on 2 sides of me. Verizon is toying with my 4G desires.

evperry

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
You are AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is there anyway verizon can tell you are using hotspot?

There is an app in the market called Wifi Hotspot and USB Tether.
Click to view quoted image

It costs $4.99 but there is a trial version that last 7 days (don't quote me on this).
Install, and enjoy. That simple!
Click to view quoted image

I bought this when I had the Droid Charge and I was extremely pleased it works with my Nexus.

As some have asked, I am not rooted.

mharris7ster

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
I am rooted and tried it because Google Wifi Tether doesn't work for ICS yet. Unfortunatly it does not work on my Galaxy Nexus:( At times I could connect to the network but no internet, and other times it would connect with limited access.

EDIT: I uninstalled and reinstalled and IT WORKS! Great app, and the first wireless tether not requiring root I believe!!

I'm connected through it right now!

Last edited:

SHWELL

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for sharing. I have a "Conference" I am going to in Vegas next month and personal Wifi is a must for me.

KoukiFC3S

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
Thanks it works great without root.

Ironic thing is I just called VZN this morning to add the $30 unlimited hotspot, and they told me it's not available anymore! Their loss!

Nextnexus

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
Just confirmed that this is working and FAST on my VZW GN

THIS IS GREAT! .....while it lasts I suppose.

EDIT: I am bone stock, non-rooted

eikphoto

Nov 12, 2011
Visit site
You are AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is there anyway verizon can tell you are using hotspot?

I don't think so as I have been using this on my Droid Charge for months. I think they can only tell how much data you are using and not what you are using it for.

eikphoto

Nov 12, 2011
Visit site
My phone won't arrive until tomorrow, at the earliest.

Any way to purchase this app before it arrives?

I believe you can buy it on the market in the computer browser. But its not like this app is going away.

zeke013

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I believe you can buy it on the market in the computer browser. But its not like this app is going away.

I've tried - but it says there's no phone connected to my account, which is true.

And if it won't go away, cool - I just read a post above mine that said to get it while you can. I've missed out on a few of those with my iPhone.

eikphoto

Nov 12, 2011
Visit site
I've tried - but it says there's no phone connected to my account, which is true.

And if it won't go away, cool - I just read a post above mine that said to get it while you can. I've missed out on a few of those with my iPhone.

I wouldn't worry about it disappearing any time soon. It has been on the market for quiet some time

Reactions: zeke013

JoeNM84

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
How well does this work with Xbox Live? I connect my Xbox360 to my laptop for internet.

Currently "borrowing" internet from an unknown neighbor at the same speed as 3G so I don't need to do it until 4G comes here.

evperry

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
What is unlimited hotspot? Im switching from Verizon and I must say that I think they have MUCH better service but they more expensive for their plans.

Thanks it works great without root.

Ironic thing is I just called VZN this morning to add the $30 unlimited hotspot, and they told me it's not available anymore! Their loss!

eikphoto

Nov 12, 2011
Visit site
What is unlimited hotspot? Im switching from Verizon and I must say that I think they have MUCH better service but they more expensive for their plans.

They had a plan add on if you had unlimited data you could take advantage of a hotspot for 30 bucks while keeping the unlimited data.