WIFI HotSpot w/out a plan CONFIRMED TO WORK! No root needed.

bplewis24

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
There's your confirmation. Back to PDANet I go.

There's no way I'm using anything other than PDANet or Wifi Tether for Root Users until the XDA devs have a chance to look at these apps and let me know if Verizon can see the usage. Wifi Tether appears to be working now, with pre110.

Brandon

trunks527

Nov 12, 2011
Visit site
I don't think they can detect this. I logged on my verizon over the computer and looked at my hotspot usage. I don't pay for hotspot so it told me nothing was available. However they can see that your data usage has been sky high for a few but for all they know you can be watching netflix over your phone.

dricket

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm the developer of this app, so thanks to the OP and to Android Central for helping to publicize it, I really appreciate it!

I have never heard of any user incurring charges from the carrier for using this app.

On some phones, with some carriers, there is software that redirects all traffic to the carrier's home page, encouraging you to sign up for the hotspot plan, but if you don't choose to sign up, then they don't bill you.
From what I've been told, this app works fine with Galaxy Nexus (traffic is not redirected).
However, it is always possible that some time in the future, a carrier may block the app.

Happy Holidays,
Doug

Search Android Market for "Wifi Hotspot and USB Tether" by SVTP or follow these links:

Paid Version $9.99 - 5 day money-back guarantee
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.svtechpartners.wifihotspot

Free Trial - 2 days
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.svtechpartners.wifihotspotdemo

Last edited:

jeslevine

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
didn't work for me. It asked me to subscribe to mobile hotspot/mobile broadband connect, and then gave phone numbers to call to subscribe

TerryMasters

May 1, 2010
Visit site
didn't work for me. It asked me to subscribe to mobile hotspot/mobile broadband connect, and then gave phone numbers to call to subscribe

That's the second user in this thread to report a redirect. So like I said, Verizon CAN see you using this and start charging you for it as they see fit.

Bad_Robot

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Funny. Worked fine for me yesterday. Just tried it on again, flipped the bluetooth sharing on and got a pop up about subscription services. Relaunched with regular wifi tethering and it hasn't popped up yet. Unfortunately I don't have another device within reach to determine if it is working properly or not.

albokay

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Just found out about this yesterday and tried it on my Galaxy Nexus LTE. Had to uninstall and reinstall but after that it works. Put my 10 dollars down.

Channan

Keyboard Warrior
Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
I'm the developer of this app, so thanks to the OP and to Android Central for helping to publicize it, I really appreciate it!

I have never heard of any user incurring charges from the carrier for using this app.

On some phones, with some carriers, there is software that redirects all traffic to the carrier's home page, encouraging you to sign up for the hotspot plan, but if you don't choose to sign up, then they don't bill you.
From what I've been told, this app works fine with Galaxy Nexus (traffic is not redirected).
However, it is always possible that some time in the future, a carrier may block the app.

Happy Holidays,
Doug

Search Android Market for "Wifi Hotspot and USB Tether" by SVTP or follow these links:

Paid Version $9.99 - 5 day money-back guarantee
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.svtechpartners.wifihotspot

Free Trial - 2 days
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.svtechpartners.wifihotspotdemo

If you happen to read this, I have problems with data not working after a little while. I know the app was made for the Charge but I'm hoping whatever is causing this can be fixed soon because it's annoying. The only way to restore data is to turn tethering off and back on.

eikphoto

Nov 12, 2011
Visit site
Seems to be working for a lot of folks. I personally never had an issue using this app dating back to Droid Charge days. :D

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Bad_Robot

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Funny. Worked fine for me yesterday. Just tried it on again, flipped the bluetooth sharing on and got a pop up about subscription services. Relaunched with regular wifi tethering and it hasn't popped up yet. Unfortunately I don't have another device within reach to determine if it is working properly or not.

Figured this out. So I put the Wifi Tether widget on my desktop. When I launch the phone with the widget it opens up the stock ICS Wifi Tethering app, not the one from the market. Very weird. When I open the app through the icon in my app drawer works fine.

calikingz

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm on 2nd day testing and it's working fine for me. I've tested my HP laptop, my Color Nook and my Asus Transformer and I was never re-directed to any other page. I've also checked my Verizon account and so far it's just being seen as regular data. I will keep checking and testing.

animalwatcher

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
Hot damn, I mean Hot Spot! Works fine for me on my Galaxy Nexus, Verizon. At first it didn't allow internet access, but eventually did on its own. But if it doesn't, look in the help section, and it gives you suggestions to rename the network and other things. This is a God send, as I'm in the field most days with no wi-fi for my netbook, this is wonderful!!!!! It is a life changer for me.

But..... it shows the USB tether will not supported on this phone. Is that the same for others? What are we missing. Or is just the same as we already have in plugging into the computer USB?

Last edited:

dricket

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
That's the second user in this thread to report a redirect. So like I said, Verizon CAN see you using this and start charging you for it as they see fit.

I think there may be some confusion with other tethering apps or bluetooth tethering; for example, it's easy to accidentally end up in the verizon hotspot app or widget instead of this one. As far as I have seen this app works without a redirect on Galaxy Nexus ICS stock rom.

The main point I would share here is that I have never heard of any carrier charging a customer who didn't explicitly sign up for the hotspot service, out of thousands of users.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca