WIFI HotSpot w/out a plan CONFIRMED TO WORK! No root needed.

angermeans

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Thanks it works great without root.

Ironic thing is I just called VZN this morning to add the $30 unlimited hotspot, and they told me it's not available anymore! Their loss!

Its not ironic Verizon only offers the unlimited 4G Hotspot for $30 to only the HTC Thunderbolt, Samsung Droid Charge, and LG Revolution. All the phones that were part of the free 4G Hotspot promo that went on from Tbolt launch to July 6th (or sometime in that area). It was only offered (and still is) to customers with those phones and customers with the unlimited $29.99 data plans still on their phones.

jeslevine

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I reloaded the app and it is working.

Most likely I downloaded a different wifi hotspot, not the one with USB

Working as advertised, and sent this message from my I pad tethered via the app

MikeNY

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
Works great for me! Wifi hotpost connected my laptop to my phone with no problem...at 1st it was nto working then I clicked the troubleshooting on my laptop and fixed it right up. I am not a techie but I assume the tethering w/usb that is part of this is not needed.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Boot loaders unlocked, have not we been talking the benifiets for years? ha ha! Finally VZW, I love YOU!!!!

flyer21

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
so im trying the two day free trial. I was able to connect after downloading, deleting and redownloading. Now if i try to reconnect via the app shortcut login the hotspot is greyed out. If i try to go in by the widget i get the ics native app, or at least it looks just like it! It does say androidap and the password is the same as the first time BUT am i staying hidden from Verizon or not? Dont wanna buy if it cant keep working....did great the first time sharing with my xoom.
Just a good explanation would be appreciated....thanks guys. Love this forum!!

whitecomet

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
It works for my nexus. Mine is unlocked and rooted with 4.02 update. This is faster than my road runner turbo lol. This has to be why d=big red does not want it. Free ther should be part of the plan. I have unlimited and I think it's bs to charge 60 bucks for ocasion use I will do with thether. But know that I am thinking about it. this is faster than my home service so I should dump them and just use this I am not a heavy user. For home and on the go I will use around 5 gig or so a moth.

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
Just trying it agin for the 2nd time, hooked up to my iPod and it is still working. Yeah sucks using it on my iPod but Xfinity isn't working on the GN yet, bast*rds!

dricket

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
so im trying the two day free trial. I was able to connect after downloading, deleting and redownloading. Now if i try to reconnect via the app shortcut login the hotspot is greyed out. If i try to go in by the widget i get the ics native app, or at least it looks just like it! It does say androidap and the password is the same as the first time BUT am i staying hidden from Verizon or not? Dont wanna buy if it cant keep working....did great the first time sharing with my xoom.
Just a good explanation would be appreciated....thanks guys. Love this forum!!

Sorry it's confusing -- an earlier poster mentioned correctly that both this app and the Verizon one toggle the same hotspot, which was built into Android by Google since version 2.2 Froyo. So if you use this app to turn on the hotspot, there may be a hotspot icon that is the same one from the system app; or if you go into the system app it will show the hotspot is on. But I have used this app for 6 months myself with no complaint from the carrier, and I have never heard of a carrier complaining to any other user of this app. I imagine it is not worth their time to care about the small % of people using this kind of thing, and at worst they may disable it in a future software update.

If the hotspot icon is greyed out when you start the app, it could be that data connectivity is not available. Be sure you are on 3G/4G before running the app.

For more details related to your specific case, please check the Help page in the app which also has a link to email me privately.

Thanks,
Doug

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Its not ironic Verizon only offers the unlimited 4G Hotspot for $30 to only the HTC Thunderbolt, Samsung Droid Charge, and LG Revolution. All the phones that were part of the free 4G Hotspot promo that went on from Tbolt launch to July 6th (or sometime in that area). It was only offered (and still is) to customers with those phones and customers with the unlimited $29.99 data plans still on their phones.

This isn't entirely true. I have the option now through My Verizon to add 4g Mobile Hotspot to my account.
I have never owned any smartphones other than the DX and the Nexus. I can also get the feature for 20% off because of my work discount.

When I called CS last night to ask about an equipment order, he mentioned he could add it. I also have unlimited data on my line which the OP may or may not have. If he doesn't have unlimited data, that may be why he was told it isn't available. Otherwise, he should call back or try to add it through vzw.com.

Cauhauna

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
This isn't entirely true. I have the option now through My Verizon to add 4g Mobile Hotspot to my account.
I have never owned any smartphones other than the DX and the Nexus. I can also get the feature for 20% off because of my work discount.

When I called CS last night to ask about an equipment order, he mentioned he could add it. I also have unlimited data on my line which the OP may or may not have. If he doesn't have unlimited data, that may be why he was told it isn't available. Otherwise, he should call back or try to add it through vzw.com.

x2, same here. Just went legit and added unlimited hotspot 2 days ago. Feels good man.

Went from droid x to nexus, added 4g hotspot unlimited

marcw

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
why does this work without root, but prior to ICS it needed root? Did ICS change the internals where gingerbread needed some extra permissions?

eikphoto

Nov 12, 2011
Visit site
why does this work without root, but prior to ICS it needed root? Did ICS change the internals where gingerbread needed some extra permissions?

It did nit need root prior to ICS
It worked on my Charge with Froyo without root

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk